Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Asrock 970 Extreme3 Rev2.0 problems

Default Re: Asrock 970 Extreme3 Rev2.0 problems

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    That may make a difference, undervolting.
    Certainly cheaper trying than getting away from a 4 rail psu. Especially a psu of the likes you'd need, ie: major power single rail psu
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

BTW, if you encounter difficulties, you may need to determine which card(s) are powered via 12V2 and 12V3.

The rail you want to lessen the load is 12V3(45A) and place the/this third card on molex/adapters. That would place one card powered via 12V2, another via 12V3, and lastly the third card with adapters via 12V4
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

So i was succesfull at unlocking locked volts and undervolting from 1.2v to 1.050v on all 3 cards. also put the 3rd card on molexes now, just have to wait and see what happens now.

i have no idea how to go about figuring what device is on what rail :) Wish there was a clear visual guide on the PSU to show whats on what rail.

Tried the molexes, freezed in 5mins, tried again, same. Tried different configs to seperate 2 gpu's on v2 and v3, kept freezing minutes after reboot everytime. Took molexes out and put all 3 gpu's on the regular 6x6 pcie spots and running for 30mins now. seems everyother config is even more unstable than this, so all 3 pcie spots on PSU populated now, guess ill have to accept the motherboard is faulty, ill go pick up a new one monday and try to sell this board on ebay or something, since it does run 2 gpu's fine, just not 3 :/

EDIT: Took a photo of my screen right after the freeze happens so u can see whats going on and why i still dont think this has anything to do with PSU and everything with Motherboard :P

Asrock 970 Extreme3 Rev2.0 problems-freeeze-jpg

So u see the temp of 1 card go to 500c.... its really at about the same as 2 other GPU's temps :) and 1-2secs later screen freezes and then nothing, stays there, no bluescreen, no auto restart, no error messages nothing, just stops there. really wierd problem, and it happens only when i 1x pci cable on the 3rd card, if i put 2 cards on the regular 16x pcie slots, it works forever.
    Last edited by Nitsi; 02-01-2014 at 05:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitsi View Post
    i have no idea how to go about figuring what device is on what rail :) Wish there was a clear visual guide on the PSU to show whats on what rail.
    WTH? You need to register on the XFX site in order to contact them for tech support? How lame can a company get. Not even manuals online w/o registering.

Go HERE and register then provide them with the model number and inquire of what of the 4 power rails corresponds with just what connectors on the psu.

Make sure to inform the that you are specifically looking for 12V1, 12V2, 12V3, and 12V4 rail outputs as assigned to the psu's cable connection points.

I can only find in pics that 12V4-A is labeled as such on the PCB next to the connector, the upper right connection, PCIE CPU. 12pin connection. Which I guess makes some sense as the JG article refers to "8-pin ATX12V/EPS12V" as deriving it's power from 12V4, along with SATA and other peripheral.

If, IF, that's right and 12V4-A is proper as 12V4, then that would leave the bottom 3 PCIE connection points as 12V2 and 12V3. There are no other PCIE.

Without me having the cables themselves in hand I can't figure whether the non-separable 8pin EPS or the 4+4 EPS cable is designed to be connected there. My guess is only the non-separable 8pin, with the 4+4 cable meant for the 8pin labeled CPU that resides on the lower row between MB and the row of PCIE.

I dunno. If that's right, have you tried all three lower PCIE connections? In your pic above that would entail moving GPU 1(your labeled, upper right) to next to the other two cables(GPU 2 and GPU 3) you show plugged into the lower row.

really wierd problem, and it happens only when i 1x pci cable on the 3rd card, if i put 2 cards on the regular 16x pcie slots, it works forever.
    Maybe it is related to your use of the x1 slot. Consider that I have seen powered PCIE x1 connectors/risers for mining use.

And we're posting over each other atm.

Just figured out something cool! I was able to cause the freezing "manually"!!

I was testing on 2 GPU's, 1 staright on motherboard 16x pcie and another was hooked up on 1x pcie raiser cable. I then got MAD at this pc and just pulled the powered cable straight out of the pci 1x slot and heureka, screen showed 500c temp for the card and 2secs later FREEZE occured.

So for somereason, when 3 cards are running, 1 of them gets just goes offline and pc freezes, but why? i dont get it :/

Edit: Theres no point contacting XFX support, others have done it before, they insist that it is a single rail PSU, no matter what.

I have had all 3 botton PCIE's connected before and they are in that config aswell.

Also yeah it might have something to do with x1 slots, but what. pretty sure it does actually have to do with 1x slots. Also my raiser cables are all powered.

Edit2: Based on what i have seen and tested, my new theory is that the 1x slots are not getting any power from motherboard after X amount of time and that shuts down the GPU's connecteded to it causing the freezes and because i use powered risers the only reason the fans on the cards connected to 1x slots keep spinning after freeze is that the GPU is still getting some power from the powered riser. Wish i had some other device like a sound card or something that i could plug in the 1x slot and see if power to that is cut off to make sure this is the problem.
    Last edited by Nitsi; 02-01-2014 at 07:05 AM.

Edit: Theres no point contacting XFX support, others have done it before, they insist that it is a single rail PSU, no matter what.
    That'd be funny if it wasn't for the sad fact that on the "Specifications' page for this PSU, P1-1250-BEFX, it/XFX clearly states "+12V Rail Outputs : Multi-rail"
    It even states the same "Multi-rail" on the European model of same, P1-1250-BEUK. Remind me to stay away from XFX.

Hum, interesting, x1 slot seems to be powering down after a spell huh? Take a peek in Windows Power Config and tweak the option that powers down unused devices. Could it be that while using the x1 slot for gfx ........... Does both the gfx driver and Device Manager correctly recognize that this R9 is installed in the x1 slot?

parsec is offline Senior Member

The JGuru review of the XFX PSU has a breakdown of the 12V rails on page three. It may be a single rail design, but it has Over Current Protection (OCP) on each of the four "distributed" rails (my term), as shown on page three of the review. XFX won't admit that to a customer, but they apparently did to a reviewer, although that is vaguely mentioned in the review. The bottom line is once the reviewer was able to spread the load on the 12V rail across enough connections, he was able to verify the 12V output of that PSU. Before doing that, he couldn't. Can't prove that PSU's configuration better than that.

The 500C temperature, and 0 RPM fan speed reading we can see in your screenshot shows that card has stopped working for some reason, and is no longer communicating with that software.

Here's what I don't understand about running a video card that is meant to be used in a X16 slot in a x1 slot;

Does a x1 slot provide the same amount of power that a X16 slot does (75W), and communicate with the rest of the PC over one PCI-E lane, rather than 16? Really a rhetorical question, since it can't.

As wardog said, powered x16 riser cards in the x1 slots are usually used in bitcoin rigs for a reason.

Many new boards that support triple video cards now include an extra power connector for the the PCI-E x16 lanes.

So is the card not working on a x1 lane a weird issue? Not really.

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    That'd be funny if it wasn't for the sad fact that on the "Specifications' page for this PSU, P1-1250-BEFX, it/XFX clearly states "+12V Rail Outputs : Multi-rail"
    It even states the same "Multi-rail" on the European model of same, P1-1250-BEUK. Remind me to stay away from XFX.

Hum, interesting, x1 slot seems to be powering down after a spell huh? Take a peek in Windows Power Config and tweak the option that powers down unused devices. Could it be that while using the x1 slot for gfx ........... Does both the gfx driver and Device Manager correctly recognize that this R9 is installed in the x1 slot?
    Yes the cards connected to x1 are recognized properly at the start, but sometimes after i reboot to recover it has to look for drivers for the 1x slot again....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information