Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Asrock 970 Extreme3 Rev2.0 problems

Default Re: Asrock 970 Extreme3 Rev2.0 problems

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    The JGuru review of the XFX PSU has a breakdown of the 12V rails on page three. It may be a single rail design, but it has Over Current Protection (OCP) on each of the four "distributed" rails (my term), as shown on page three of the review. XFX won't admit that to a customer, but they apparently did to a reviewer, although that is vaguely mentioned in the review. The bottom line is once the reviewer was able to spread the load on the 12V rail across enough connections, he was able to verify the 12V output of that PSU. Before doing that, he couldn't. Can't prove that PSU's configuration better than that.

The 500C temperature, and 0 RPM fan speed reading we can see in your screenshot shows that card has stopped working for some reason, and is no longer communicating with that software.

Here's what I don't understand about running a video card that is meant to be used in a X16 slot in a x1 slot;

Does a x1 slot provide the same amount of power that a X16 slot does (75W), and communicate with the rest of the PC over one PCI-E lane, rather than 16? Really a rhetorical question, since it can't.

As wardog said, powered x16 riser cards in the x1 slots are usually used in bitcoin rigs for a reason.

Many new boards that support triple video cards now include an extra power connector for the the PCI-E x16 lanes.

So is the card not working on a x1 lane a weird issue? Not really.
    The way i have understood it, x1 slot doesnt give the same 75w as pcie 16x gives (1x is 25w i think), thats why i use a powered riser so it gets the power it needs, i have several that i have tried, incase some of them being faulty.
    The only difference in using a gfx card on a 1x lane instead of 16x is lower lane bus speed, its lower on 1x obviously so it isnt suited for 3d applications(games etc.), but in SHA-256 or Scrypt mining lane speed doesnt matter (i do scrypt mining, (altcoins)).

So the card not working properly on 1x lane is a wierd issue, really. 90% of bitcoin/altcoin miners use riser cable on their rigs, on 1x and 16x slots.

Well, tried everything, just not working, switched back to linux and same problem still, im done with testing for now, just gonna let the rig run on 2 cards till monday and get a new board then, sigh.

Bummer.

Well, anyways. Here's hoping you get a decent price for it at auction.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information