Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Asrock 970 Extreme3 Rev2.0 problems

Default Asrock 970 Extreme3 Rev2.0 problems

First my new System:
    Asrock 970 Extreme 3 Rev2.0
    AMD Sempron 145
    Kingston 4gb 1600mhz
    3 x Gigabyte R9 280xOC Rev2.0
    XFX Pro 1250w Black edition psu
    Windows 7, 32bit

So theres my system, and now onto the problem. For the past week i have been having troubles with my system freezing up totally after putting load on GPU's. Now as u can see i run 3 cards, 2 on pcie x16 slots and 1 is connected to a 1x slot via powered pcie raiser cable.

For the past week i have been testing everysingle part of this system, i have a 2nd very similar computer system, so i swapped parts between the 2 computers 1 by 1, testing to see if either PC is still having problems after each hardware exchange, my older pc never had any problems with the new hardware i put on it, i tested both computers for atleast 12h after replacing parts to make sure either system would have no problems, and the old motherboard never did have any problems just the new one.

So i kept testing, till there was nothing else to test, at the moment my old pc parts are still on my new Asrock 970 Extreme rev2.0 motherboard and it still keeps freezing, tried several different Operating systems and drivers so its not Software related problem. So after all this testing, i am now 100% sure the motherboard is the reason for freezing.

But what i dont understand is whats wrong with it, i have ran 1 gpu on each pcie slot, and even on 1x to 16x powered riser cable on every single port, and when i put load on GPU after some time system freezes.
    I bought this PC for Litecoin and Altcoin mining, so alot of stress on GPU's, the problem isnt heat either btw, temps dont go over 75c on GPUs and processor is at 40c, everything else very cool.

The thing that makes this motherboard hard to test is that sometimes it take up to 11hours before it freezes (happend only once tho :) ), id say the average time the PC runs before freeze is 2-4 hours.

i have updated bios on motherboard also, no help, taken all power savin features off aswell and no help.

So anyway there u have it, gave as much information as possible, looking for solutions now on how to go about fixing this problem.

Someone on other forum suggested tha the problem might be that that the 12 pin power cable justcant provide enough power to gfx card, could this be the problem? If it could, how could i test this? Or would this kind of promlem mean that the motherboard is faulty?

My older pc that i used for swammping parts with is:
    Asrck 990FX Extreme4
    Amd Athlon II X3 450
    Kinston 4Gb 1600mhz
    Asus R9 280x DirectCu2 TOP
    Seasonic 1250w X-series
    320Gb Westerndigital HDD
    Win 7 32bit

Default Re: Asrock 970 Extreme3 Rev2.0 problems

bumb

What's the exact model number of your PSU?

By chance is it "P1-1250-BEFX" ?
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    What's the exact model number of your PSU?

By chance is it "P1-1250-BEFX" ?
    Yes it is actually,but like i said, tested the parts with a Seasonic X-1250 (exact model: SS-1250XM Active PFC F3) and had freezing occure on that aswell so shouldnt be anything wrong my the PSU.
    Last edited by Nitsi; 01-31-2014 at 01:43 PM. Reason: edit

Quote Originally Posted by Nitsi View Post
    Yes it is actually,but like i said, tested the parts with a Seasonic X-1250 (exact model: SS-1250XM Active PFC F3) and had freezing occure on that aswell so shouldnt be anything wrong my the PSU.
    Well, maybe, maybe not. I may be reaching here so it's best you confirm my suspicions.

JonnyGuru reviews: XFX P1-1250-BEFX and Seasonic SS-1250XM

HardOCP review of the
    Seasonic SS-1250XM

The two PSU's you have seem to be the same. With the exception of Seasonics higher build quality of 105c main caps and other smaller caps, fan and circuitry, housing, and other minor noticibles not mentioned here. Insides look identical other than the previously mentioned build differences.

To save you the reading, but I do HIGHLY encourage you reading the linked reviews, these two seem not to be single 12v rail PSU's, but instead they may actually have 4 12v rails. And some OCP issues too boot.

Specifically, I'm looking at and concerned with JG's review page 3, Load test results and [H]'s review page 2 Overview, second paragraph from the bottom.

The layout, or distribution if you will, of power amongst these four 12v rails. And how the PCIe power is gotten/pulled from the 12V2 and 12V3 rails. As graphed on JG's page 3 of their review.

To my point. Your three Gigabyte R9 280xOC Rev2.0, hungry beasties that they are, are now not pulling from a single 104a rail but instead pulling from 12V2(30A) and 12V3(45A).

You're getting, IMHO, mighty close to spec on those two rails while powering those three cards of yours.

If you care to reconfigure to using two cards, wired as they are now, if you'd post back I'd be real interested if this freezing you see vanishes.

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    You're getting, IMHO, mighty close to spec on those two rails while powering those three cards of yours.
    I should add, what I can find of power draw concerning your cards, I only find the R9 280X of ~250 each, with mentions elsewhere that the OC versions, as one would expect, pull more.

Im ahead of you here, already 16hours into testing with 2 cards only, same psu config and no freeze so far, so still looking good.

I had already read the JG review couple of days ago but i didnt pay much attention to it, because i still dont understand rails that well, but didnt know my seasonic might have the same 4 rails.

Now this said, the XFX ran all 3 Asus r9 280x and same model Gigabyte cards without a problem on the other motherboard (Asrock 990FX Exreme4) on the same cable configuration it was with Gigabyte and Asus cards on Asrock 970 Extreme3 rev2 where the freezing is occuring.

Anyways if u have a suggestion on how to reconfigure cabling on XFX PSU i can try it and see what happens.

Heres a pic of my current configuration:
    Asrock 970 Extreme3 Rev2.0 problems-powersupply-configuration-jpg

Honestly, I can't say with specificity why one board but not the other. 990FX's were build with a higher rated socket, whether that translates into extending beyond the socket and to the PCIe slots is over of my knowledge.

Manufacturers, with ever increasing loads demanded of PCIe gfx cards, might have bumped the slot voltages up a smidge. Could that account for the differences here between the older 970 and the newer 990 board you're seeing. Maybe. May even be the differences in chipsets themselves. My guess is it simply lies in the newer gen motherboard and it's differences to the older 970 board. Newer usually means better. Usually, not always though. Just ask Gigabyte with their 990FXA-UDx board revisions how newer is working out. hehehe

You could probably test theory with a couple of SATA/Molex to PCIe adapters and draw power for the third card from the 12V4 line. 12V4 is used for drives mostly and seeings this is mining setup and not a server it might work. Might ...

Me, were I in your shoes, wouldn't even attempt the adapter route. I'd simply get another Extreme4. No headaches, wasted time and money, and you already know the board is compatible and what you have there PSU wise will power it. That's me though ..........
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Yeah, but i cant return a "used" motherboard although it hasent been 14days and return policy is still valid, the freezing is very hard to reproduce with regular stress tests as they cant stress 3 cards seperatly (atleast without using 3way crossfire) so warranty would probably just send it straight back with a added fine off "unnecessary warranty return" (thats 50e here), so i stand to lose 80e + another 990fx is 130e so that would take me back for 200euros total.

I personally still think, theres something wrong with the motherboard, since others have and still are using the same motherboard for up to 4 r9 280x cards without problems for same thing im using it for (scrypt mining).

I'll try it with the 3rd card on molexes and if that doesnt work, well dno. Might just have to take the loss and get a new board.

ps. You think undervolting the cards a little bit might help, incase it is a problem with cards trying to get too much juice out of the PSU?
    Read that people are undervolting these gigabyte cards @ 1.094v instead of the 1.2v standard and they are runnign stable and cooler aswell.

That may make a difference, undervolting.

And your honesty concerning returning "used' parts is commendable. All that does is bump up prices when the (e-)(r)tailer has to push that part back up the supply chain to its originator. I don't do it either. Defective, yes. But used or not to my liking, no.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information