Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Asrock vision ht (haswell)

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Asrock vision ht (haswell)

Quote Originally Posted by dgg View Post
    How were you able to figure out that the 420D has a G3 socket? I don't see that information on the Asrock site or in the online manual.
    The best way to do that is choose a processor or two from the 420D's CPU Support List, and check Intel's specs for the socket type.

Let's choose the i7-4600M processor from the 420D's CPU Support List, and simply Googling for it gives us this link:

ARK | Intel® Core i7-4600M

Scroll down a bit and find the Sockets Supported line, and we find FCPGA946, otherwise known as socket G3. Some more searching reveals that Intel CPUs whose "SKU" has an 'M' suffix are socket G3 compatible. The i7-4600M (the SKU) fits this description. We then infer that the 420D has the G3/FCPGA946 socket.

Doing a similar search on the I7-4950HQ gives us this link: ARK | Intel® Core I7-4950HQ

Again checking the Sockets Supported line, and we find FCBGA1364. Intel mobile processors have multiple sockets, so we should double check for other names for FCBGA1364, but the I7-4950HQ SKU does not have the 'M' suffix, so shouldn't be socket G3 compatible, and it isn't.

Any PC that uses an Intel mobile processor must be closely checked for its socket type when attempting to change to a different processor. I say attempt because in many cases, you cannot change the processor, it is soldered in place.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    The best way to do that is choose a processor or two from the 420D's CPU Support List, and check Intel's specs for the socket type.

Let's choose the i7-4600M processor from the 420D's CPU Support List, and simply Googling for it gives us this link:

ARK | Intel® Core i7-4600M

Scroll down a bit and find the Sockets Supported line, and we find FCPGA946, otherwise known as socket G3. Some more searching reveals that Intel CPUs whose "SKU" has an 'M' suffix are socket G3 compatible. The i7-4600M (the SKU) fits this description. We then infer that the 420D has the G3/FCPGA946 socket.

Doing a similar search on the I7-4950HQ gives us this link: ARK | Intel® Core I7-4950HQ

Again checking the Sockets Supported line, and we find FCBGA1364. Intel mobile processors have multiple sockets, so we should double check for other names for FCBGA1364, but the I7-4950HQ SKU does not have the 'M' suffix, so shouldn't be socket G3 compatible, and it isn't.

Any PC that uses an Intel mobile processor must be closely checked for its socket type when attempting to change to a different processor. I say attempt because in many cases, you cannot change the processor, it is soldered in place.
    Hello, you are right, and It is too bad that 420D doesn't work with HD pro 5200 or higher...by the way there is I7-4712MQ and I7-4710MQ ...I think I'm going to wait the next generation... broadwell and a new Vision HT ...

TY

parsec is offline Senior Member

The i7-4712MQ and I7-4710MQ are Haswell refresh processors, using the G3 socket, but still only have 4600 graphics. They seem to have SKUs that violate Intel's rules, but they still have the 'M' in the SKU.

The lack of 5200 graphics support in the Vision HT Haswell line is mainly caused by Intel, and much less by ASRock's design decision.

Intel has not produced a socket G3 processor with 5200 graphics, for whatever reason.

ASRock's choice of the G3 socket allows multiple processor choices, that apparently the owner can change. The FCBGA1364 socket processors are soldered into place, and cannot be changed by the user, as is the case with the typical laptop PC.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information