Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: How about a list of things we thought might be motherboard related problems but were not?

Default How about a list of things we thought might be motherboard related problems but were not?

For example, I have the X79 Extreme9 motherboard that I thought was having some real problems. First my sound would fade in and out. Second, my computer would freeze, lock my mouse
    so it would be non responsive, then beep and all was well until it did it again.

Sound issue was solved by getting Creative Sound Blaster Z SBX PCIE Gaming Sound Card with Beamforming Microphone SB1500. Awesome card that I paid only 59.00 for. Was so happy I then got Creative Inspire T6300 5.1 Multimedia Speaker System which made me think I had a new PC. That perhaps should have been easy to resolve but I moved the card to another PC and it did not seem to do the same thing....perhaps I did not give it enough time. The old card came with the motherboard.

As to the freezing...that turned out to be a defective mouse (Logitech G500) that was replaced under warranty and again all is well.

Anyone else have experiences like these to share?

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: How about a list of things we thought might be motherboard related problems but were not?

Not a bad idea, since the experiences might help others. Of course some people might not want to admit what happened...

"Yeah, I had a Diablotek PSU, nice 500W unit I got for $20 for my Titan card, but it never worked well, dang board..."

Spyone1 is offline Member

Default Re: How about a list of things we thought might be motherboard related problems but were not?

I spent an hour searching for the lead that would go from my video card to the the motherboard, only to work out it had to go from the power supply to the motherboard....does that count?
    (and profJIM was kind enough not to laugh at me too much).

With the OP, I got the impression that the motherboard problem wasn't fixed, but bypassed? (which has the same result, but doesn't actually fix the original problem)??

Anyway, yeah, good idea, puts all those problems in one easy to access list.

MAIN PC
    CPU
    - i7-3820 @ 3.60Ghz
    MB - AsRock X79 Extreme6 (Bios P2.80)
    RAM - 2 x 8Gb Patriot Viper 1866 CL10 Series @933Mhz
    GPU - ASUS Radeon HD 7870 Direct CU II (2Gb) x 2 (XFire)
    CASE - Fractal Design Desire R4 Black Case (windowless)
    FANS - Standard Fan CPU, 5 x FD Silent 2 140mm Fans in case
    PSU - Thermaltake R2 800W
    SSD - Sandisk SDSSDHP2 240Gb (boot)
    HDD - 2 x Seagate ST2000DM001 2Tb HDD (Storage)
    SYS - Win7 x64 Ultimate
    KB - Logitech K350 Wireless
    MOU -
    Razor Naga Molten mouse
    MON - ASUS VS247H (1920 x 1080)
    UPS - Belkin Line Interactive 1400VA 840W
    System is not overclocked at all.
    2ND PC
    AMD FM2 A10-7850K @ 3.70Ghz
    AsRock FM2A88X Extreme6+ (Bios P2.90)
    2 x 4Gb G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

Kaveri Spectre Desktop (onboard) @ 760Mhz
    Thermaltake V9 case (1 x 120mm, 1 x 240mm fan)
    Corsair H80i Water Cooler w/2 x 120mm fans
    Seasonic G-Series (SSR-650RM Active PFC F3) 650W

OCZ Vertex 4 120Gb SSD (Boot)
    2 x ST2000DM001 2Tb HDD (Storage)
    Win7 X64 Ultimate
    Logitech G15 (6 G Keys) USB
    Logitech MX-518 mouse
    Phillips 22HFL3350D/10 (1920 x 1080)
    NAS - Netgear RN104-100AJS 4 Bay (not hooked in)
    Not overclocking

Quote Originally Posted by funpilot View Post
    For example, I have the X79 Extreme9 motherboard that I thought was having some real problems. First my sound would fade in and out. Second, my computer would freeze, lock my mouse
    so it would be non responsive, then beep and all was well until it did it again.

Sound issue was solved by getting Creative Sound Blaster Z SBX PCIE Gaming Sound Card with Beamforming Microphone SB1500. Awesome card that I paid only 59.00 for. Was so happy I then got Creative Inspire T6300 5.1 Multimedia Speaker System which made me think I had a new PC. That perhaps should have been easy to resolve but I moved the card to another PC and it did not seem to do the same thing....perhaps I did not give it enough time. The old card came with the motherboard.

As to the freezing...that turned out to be a defective mouse (Logitech G500) that was replaced under warranty and again all is well.

Anyone else have experiences like these to share?
    The parts in bold do not make sense IMO. You bought the new SB Z SBX card, which you later moved to another PC. Then, "The old card came with the motherboard."

What old card, and how is it involved with issue?

The sound card story is nice, but could have been summed up as, "My board's onboard audio (the old card?) was broken, an audio card I got worked fine, but it turned out to be the mouse."

Actually a good story, since it seemed the board's onboard audio was dead, since the audio card worked but then it was the mouse. But do you see what I mean?

Spyone1 is offline Member

Actually, I have the impression (on re-reading) it was the old plug-in card, that came with the motherboard, that had the original problems, not the onboard one??

MAIN PC
    CPU
    - i7-3820 @ 3.60Ghz
    MB - AsRock X79 Extreme6 (Bios P2.80)
    RAM - 2 x 8Gb Patriot Viper 1866 CL10 Series @933Mhz
    GPU - ASUS Radeon HD 7870 Direct CU II (2Gb) x 2 (XFire)
    CASE - Fractal Design Desire R4 Black Case (windowless)
    FANS - Standard Fan CPU, 5 x FD Silent 2 140mm Fans in case
    PSU - Thermaltake R2 800W
    SSD - Sandisk SDSSDHP2 240Gb (boot)
    HDD - 2 x Seagate ST2000DM001 2Tb HDD (Storage)
    SYS - Win7 x64 Ultimate
    KB - Logitech K350 Wireless
    MOU -
    Razor Naga Molten mouse
    MON - ASUS VS247H (1920 x 1080)
    UPS - Belkin Line Interactive 1400VA 840W
    System is not overclocked at all.
    2ND PC
    AMD FM2 A10-7850K @ 3.70Ghz
    AsRock FM2A88X Extreme6+ (Bios P2.90)
    2 x 4Gb G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

Kaveri Spectre Desktop (onboard) @ 760Mhz
    Thermaltake V9 case (1 x 120mm, 1 x 240mm fan)
    Corsair H80i Water Cooler w/2 x 120mm fans
    Seasonic G-Series (SSR-650RM Active PFC F3) 650W

OCZ Vertex 4 120Gb SSD (Boot)
    2 x ST2000DM001 2Tb HDD (Storage)
    Win7 X64 Ultimate
    Logitech G15 (6 G Keys) USB
    Logitech MX-518 mouse
    Phillips 22HFL3350D/10 (1920 x 1080)
    NAS - Netgear RN104-100AJS 4 Bay (not hooked in)
    Not overclocking

Quote Originally Posted by Spyone1 View Post
    Actually, I have the impression (on re-reading) it was the old plug-in card, that came with the motherboard, that had the original problems, not the onboard one??
    Ok, my original post was not well written and I agree. Let me try again.

I began to have problems with sound that would stop, or make funny noises, only come out of one speaker, or occasionally make a "beep" for no apparent reason. Shortly thereafter, I began to experience significant pauses (especially playing video games) where my mouse would freeze for up to 15 seconds, then I would hear a beep sound, and then my computer and mouse world work. Because of the common beep, I linked the two together in my mind and thought that it might be a motherboard problem.

To be sure it was not something unrelated to the motherboard, I did a Google search that suggested several solutions to the problem with sounds and was instructed to turn off certain windows sound alerts and that did not work. I could find nothing else that I tried that resolved the issue, so I decided to upgrade my bios to see if that would work. I tried and it would not upgrade so I contacted Asrock and they sent me a new bios chip which I easily installed. Problems still remained.

I had previously read several threads in the forums that the original sound card that came with my motherboard was not well liked and that others had problems so I broke down and ordered a new card. That solved my speaker/sound issues on installation but I still suffered the problem of my PC freezing and the mouse not working. I contacted Logitech and they said that it sounded like their mouse was causing the problem. I changed mice and sure enough it went away, contacted Logitech again to tell them I confirmed their findings and they sent me a new one that also appears to have resolved my problem with the freezing.

So, as a non-techie, what I thought was going to be a motherboard problem turned out to be not the case. If I have just confused all of you even more, then you understand my technical skill level.

That makes more sense, although those details did not really matter given the resulting fix. But details are so important when it comes to PCs and diagnosing there problems.

I had (have) a problem with an ASUS P67 board I still have but don't use. It would not wake from Windows Sleep if left in Sleep for more than ~20 minutes. That is weird in itself. Many owners of this and other P67 chipset boards had this problem. For some owners disabling PLL Over Voltage in the BIOS fixed the problem, but not for me and others.

What really seemed to happen was the video card would not come back to life when waking from Sleep. The PC would seem to come on, fans would run, but nothing displayed on the monitor, black screen. The video card would even make a strange noise sometimes when waking from Sleep. This board did not support onboard video, so no way to try using that.

I finally found an error in the Windows Event Log that said a driver had not responded in the expected amount of time. An expected time was listed, about 0.50 seconds, and the actual time (also listed) was longer, by about 0.30 seconds. So why not just ignore the slight delay or configure the delay time? Couldn't be done AFAIK.

Another odd thing that turned out to be a clue was some users of this board did not have the wake from Sleep problem. It turned out that power supplies that were older and less "high end" would NOT suffer from the wake from Sleep issue. These PSUs apparently did not take their time supplying power to the video card or something else when waking from Sleep, but the newer ones did. I had a Corsair HX750 and a Seasonic X-660 that both seemed to have this issue, neither would allow the board to wake from Sleep.

My theory was that both of my PSUs were of the universal input voltage type, as other new high-end PSUs were, which caused them to take a fraction of a second longer to come to life, since the circuits took longer to detect the AC input voltage, and who knows what else. It seemed that time delay was outside of an ATX spec for PSUs, since some PC PSU testers would flag the time lag as a problem. Apparently that would never be noticed when starting a PC.

Then there were hints about the P67 chipset itself causing the problem. That was a hardware issue that could not be fixed with software or firmware. No one would claim responsibility for the issue, and since some people did not have it, it could be dismissed as not a overall problem.

A few theories were claimed to be the cause, such as the temperature of the board or chipset being below a certain temperature would cause the problem. Some users even heated up the board with a hair dryer in an attempt to verify that, I don't recall the results but they were inconclusive.

This issue was never resolved and to this day I never found a fix with the PSUs I had. My Z77 board PC never had this issue when using the same PSUs and video card, same version of Windows and same CPU. So I assume it was the P67 chipset in combination with the "slow" to respond PSUs. I guess I'll never know with 100% certainty what the problem is.

Just an example of how complex mobo issues can be, and how much is going on that we don't know about or understand.

Thread Information