Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: To update bios or not update bios, that is the question :)

Gordon68 is offline Junior Member

Default To update bios or not update bios, that is the question :)

I have an Asrock Extreme7 Gen3 motherboard using the P1.30 bios with an i7 2700k sandy bridge cpu. I understand there is great risk involved in upgrading to the newer version of bios but the question is... does the risk come with any reward? Are there any other negative effects other than those caused by not properly upgrading etc.,or are there just no improvements to be had with any of the newer bios and my current configuration. I have researched enough to know of the horror stories of failed updates and incompatibilities but would like input on my actual setup from experts.

Thanks

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

Default Re: To update bios or not update bios, that is the question :)

Welcome to the forum.

Read the http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/5...er-boards.html thread and post any additional questions in your thread that you might have.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

parsec is offline Senior Member

Yes please read my sticky about this, and I'll toss in my comments now.

JUST addressing the BIOS update PROCESS, the problems are caused by NOT following the procedure correctly. But, the process is quite simple, and as long as you just do (or really NOT do) one thing, you will be fine. If you check the end of my sticky thread, you'll find there are success stories, not that they are unusual, they should and could be the norm. The reason for the problems is the Intel Management Engine firmware that is part of the BIOS file is updated in this BIOS update, but that fact is barely mentioned, and only in one place. If the firmware is not updated correctly, you then have problems with the PC.

I'll first post the warning provided by ASRock, that is regrettably displayed in one circumstance only, and is NOT displayed in the most significant and typical situation (explained below **):

To update bios or not update bios, that is the question :)-asr-6-series-bios-update-warning-jpg

All one needs to do is do not remove the USB flash drive until after Windows boots. Sorry, I am not aiming my emphasis at you personally, but to anyone that reads this thread. Simple, isn't it.

Some people are used to removing USB flash drives or other media, when installing Windows before it boots the first time after the installation, which at times will begin the installation process over again. When have we been required to not remove the USB flash drive after a BIOS update? So IMO that action by some people is not unusual or unexpected.

** The BIOS download page has an instruction link for the BIOS update process. The problem is those instructions do not include the warning message I posted above.

The driver download page has a listing for the new version of the Intel Management Engine (IME) software that is needed after this BIOS update is performed. The description of this includes a link to the related BIOS update. When that link is clicked, the warning message above is displayed.

Therein lies the problem. When looking for a BIOS update, and finding one, who then immediately checks the driver download page? Right, no one. The missing warning message on the BIOS download page is the reason why people do not properly perform this special BIOS update.

Removing the USB flash drive early does not allow the IME firmware update to occur. What happens when the USB flash drive is removed early? I'm not certain, certainly the new IME firmware is not installed, which is a part of the BIOS file/image source, and exists in the BIOS code stored in the BIOS' CMOS chip. It seems as if no IME firmware is included after the main BIOS update is finished, or it is there but is in some incomplete, partially functional state, given the issues people have in this situation. I could go on but that's it for now.

Regarding the merits of the BIOS update itself, that's not a simple question. All we have to go on is the usual terse description, that I have seen omit changes in BIOS options in some cases. IMO that becomes the danger, we are tempted to update to get something new that will be useful, or enhance performance. But ask yourself, how often does that happen?

I just realized you have BIOS 1.30, which is pretty far removed from 2.10 and 2.30. Of course all the older BIOS versions are now gone, apparently so Ivy Bridge CPU owners don't use them. I have no idea what changes have occurred since 1.30, I imagine some are at least worthwhile. But I can't tell you how valuable they will be to you.
    Last edited by parsec; 02-07-2014 at 12:38 PM.

Gordon68 is offline Junior Member

Thank you both for helping me with a question that probably has been asked many times before. So I guess with the vague descriptions of what is included in the bios updates, I'll just have to decide if updating a system that is otherwise working fine is worth any possible improvements the bios may offer. Thanks

parsec is offline Senior Member

Thanks to you for that. I wish I could provide you with the BIOS update descriptions, but that is difficult if not impossible. If you Google on "asrock z68 extreme 7 gen 3 BIOS", you'll get a lot of hits, I didn't check very many. One thread that may be helpful (if you care) is this:

**Official** Asrock Z68 Gen3 Extreme7 & Extreme4 thread

Thread Information