Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Issue with PCI-E 3.0 Video Cards - ASRock Fatal1ty Z87 Killer

Default Issue with PCI-E 3.0 Video Cards - ASRock Fatal1ty Z87 Killer

So, I got a pair of new video cards, both of them are MSI Radeon R9 290Xs (Newegg.com - MSI Radeon R9 290X GAMING 4GB 912-V308-001 512-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card). I had one of them working in my previous machine, but then I managed to fry the board. So I purchased a new mobo, PSU, and processor. When I tried to get the new build together, I found that if I put both video cards in and plugged in both the 8-pin and 6-pin PCI-E power cables, the computer would give me five beeps and then not boot. A few times I was able to get the PC to boot fully with both cards in and fully powers (both cards had the 6 and 8 pin connectors attached), but the computer refused to detect that they were present. I noticed that one card's fans will not spin up, so I am guessing that that card is simply DOA.

So, with the remaining card, I can get the computer to boot with it in, but it does not recognize that it is present. Currently if I have both the 8 and 6 pin connectors plugged it, the computer beeps endlessly. Previously it would beep five times.

Troubleshooting steps I have taken (In no particular order):
    1) Reseated CPU (No help)
    2) Tried different GPU (Worked, got video, then it started crashing, though that might be a driver issue that I need to fix, GPU is PCI-E 2.0)
    3) Tried updating BIOS. (Nope)
    4) Tried using the backup BIOS (Made it worse, as I was originally able to boot with two cards after a lot of work, after the backup, I wasn't able to)
    5) Updating the BIOS (twice, no luck with either.)

I've seen a lot of posts about PCI-E 3.0 issues for this board, but no one has had a good answer on why it didn't work. Someone mentioned voltage settings. Anyway, any help would be appreciated. I am going to try to find a different PCE-E 3.0 card to see if that's the issue, but I sorta doubt it. I think this is a board issue.

Current specs are below

i7-4770K Haswell 3.5GHz
    MSI Radeon R9 290X
    ASRock Fatal1ty Z87 Killer
    Thermaltake SP-1200M 1200W ATX 12V 2.3 & EPS 12V 2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready
    Windows 7 Ultimate (No SP)

Let me know if you have any ideas. I'd rather not RMA my entire PC.

Default Re: Issue with PCI-E 3.0 Video Cards - ASRock Fatal1ty Z87 Killer

Connect a 4pin molex to the MB there along the lower edge, SLI/XFIRE Power Connector (SLI/XFIRE_PWR1) and retry. The connector is facing downwards. It might need the additional PCI-e power the molex provides to power the bus with those 290x's.
    Last edited by - wardog -; 02-09-2014 at 05:18 AM.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

I found the connector, tried it, and no luck, same issues. I did, however, purchase an R9 270x, and that's working perfectly fine. I am pretty sure at this point that whatever fried my last board also broke both cards. I'm going to RMA them and then let you know if that fixed it. Thanks for the heads up on the molex, though. I would have never found that.

parsec is offline Senior Member

I was just reading a thread in the OCN PSU forum about problems with PSUs, when used with '290 video cards. They had several cases where the PCI-E cable connector literally melted due to the current draw of the 290 cards. That would of course be beyond the ATX standard for current/power draw of the PCI-E cable.

Don't know if that is related to your issue, since normally a non-detection issue can be a BIOS issue. I see that your Thermaltake PSU is a dual 12V rail design, which is not a bad thing, and I don't know what the distribution of 12V power is on the two 12V rails, one is 40A, the other 85A.

Multi-rail PSUs require the user to distribute the 12V load over the multiple rails (which is one reason single 12V rail PSUs are popular, easier to deal with), but the user must know how the rails are distributed over the various connections/cables, which is not always provided or done so clearly by the PSU manufacture.

ASUS H87 PLUS + CLUB RADEON R9 270X : every BIOS after 0606 beeps three times (no VGA).
    Even the INTEL internal GPU is not working.
    After removing RADEON, got output on internal GPU.
    Solution: I set PCIE to 2.0 instead of AUTO or 3.0
    Last edited by AlwaysTrouble; 02-26-2014 at 03:48 AM. Reason: 270X is R9, not R7

As a note, both cards were DOA. I got two new ones from New Egg, and they worked with no issues. Ten minutes to install, as opposed to the 10+ hours spent trying to make the others work.

Thread Information