Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Asrock 970 Pro 3 R2.0 + FX-6300 - various BSODs

Adr3nl is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Asrock 970 Pro 3 R2.0 + FX-6300 - various BSODs

I'm currently at work, so i'll check up all you've asked when i got home.
    I left the pc running memtest86 during the night and when i woke up this was the result:
    Asrock 970 Pro 3 R2.0 + FX-6300 - various BSODs-img_20140211_085202-jpg
    A flawless ~8H run with 4 passes @ default cpu and memory clocks. It can be verified in the SS.
    I'll check the ram voltages and command rate when i can. XMP and AMP are predefined configurations for memory timings and frequency right?

Regarding BSOD's date it says something like 10/02/2014 -> dd/mm/yy, the data format we use here in portugal and europe i think ;).

IMO, I don't think your PSU is not causing HDD problems.
    You dont think the PSU is not causing the HDD problems? Meaning it is causing the problems?
    I thought about the PSU as the source of the problem, since i only got issues when im using hdd's. However i can not confirm this theory because i haven't tested the system without a HDD for a long period of time. When i did test it (for a short period) without HDD it wasn't even running windows, but it looked OK.
    I'll do some testes regarding this scenario today if i manage to get some time.
    Everything i reported here happened using Window 8 and no other SO was installed in the HDD (no optional booting routines/issues). The Ubuntu OS was loaded using a USB drive. I don't believe it to have any relation to this issue.
    I didn't even install any extra drivers in the w8 installation. It is currently using the default drivers installed by w8 itself.

Thanks everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Adr3nl View Post
    XMP and AMP are predefined configurations for memory timings and frequency right?
    Yes, and more than likely you yourself would have had to jump a hoop or two in making the BIOS work with XMP.

And while you're at it look in the manual for the proper memory slots to use. There's usually two "preferred' slots denoted in the manual. Another worth checking.

parsec is offline Senior Member

I'm currently at work, so i'll check up all you've asked when i got home.
    Regarding BSOD's date it says something like 10/02/2014 -> dd/mm/yy, the data format we use here in portugal and europe i think ;).
    Doh! That explains that! Ah, Americans, we think there is only one way to do things...

You dont think the PSU is not causing the HDD problems? Meaning it is causing the problems?
    I thought about the PSU as the source of the problem, since i only got issues when im using hdd's. However i can not confirm this theory because i haven't tested the system without a HDD for a long period of time. When i did test it (for a short period) without HDD it wasn't even running windows, but it looked OK.
    I'll do some testes regarding this scenario today if i manage to get some time.
    Everything i reported here happened using Window 8 and no other SO was installed in the HDD (no optional booting routines/issues). The Ubuntu OS was loaded using a USB drive. I don't believe it to have any relation to this issue.
    I didn't even install any extra drivers in the w8 installation. It is currently using the default drivers installed by w8 itself.

Thanks everyone
    Double Doh!! I meant to write, "I dont think the PSU is causing the HDD problems". But the HDD itself may be a problem.

Did you check Device Manager for any problem devices?

I verified a few things you guys asked me to:

- Regarding the Graphic card it is a VTX3d AMD Radeon X280 as specified in the system specs.
    Some thread subtitles are wrong because this was originally in another thread.

- The memory's are placed in Slots A2 and B2 as specified in the user's manual

- I've checked the RAM voltage and it was @5V and Command rate @ 2T. I've manully set most of the options in the BIOS.
    Here are 2 SS of my bios and 1 of and CPU-Z just in case i might be missing something:
    http://s9.postimg.org/6kbamwo9b/IMG_20140211_193255.jpg
    http://s28.postimg.org/xbpr9g0rh/IMG...211_192933.jpg

Note that at the moment those are the specs im running!
    After verifying this i went and run sfc /scannow as parsec told me to, however when i got to ~26% it stoped with the following error: Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.

I'll run some hdd tester on boot to check for problems in the HDD and then try to install the OS in another HDD.

edit: i manage tu run sfc /scannow again and it was able to finish the test with a message saying it found some corrupted files but wasn't able to repair all of them.
    I opened the CBS.log file and only found 1 entry that was unable to be repaired:
    00000169 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:20{10}]"simhei.ttf" of Microsoft-Windows-Font-TrueType-SimHei, Version = 6.3.9600.16384, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
    I didn't found any entries regarding repaired files.

@3rd run -> Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.. oh well..
    Attached Images Attached Images Asrock 970 Pro 3 R2.0 + FX-6300 - various BSODs-cpu-jpg 
    Last edited by Adr3nl; 02-12-2014 at 03:54 AM. Reason: new info

I verified a few things you guys asked me to:

- I've checked the RAM voltage and it was @5V and Command rate @ 2T. I've manully set most of the options in the BIOS.
    And yes, I see in the ss 1.5v, not 5v. hehehe, like those would have lasted long at 5v.

It looks good. With all but the XMP-1600 tRAS of 25 on the CPU-z "SPD" tab, and what's showing set for tRAS of 24 in CPU-z's "Memory" tab.

You state above "I've manully set most of the options in the BIOS." Is this to mean you set the memory timings manually, even though you have them setup there to use XMP?

I have a hunch that's just what you've done though as the XMP setting would have set tRAS to 25. Strange as the specs on G.Skills site list 9-9-9-24 yet the XMP list 9-9-9-25.

I've PM'd Matt the G.Skill Tech to take a look-see over this thread and enter his thoughts on the discrepency and just what tRAS you should be using.

Oops, i ment 1,5v ofc !

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    You state above "I've manully set most of the options in the BIOS." Is this to mean you set the memory timings manually, even though you have them setup there to use XMP?
    Yep, that's what i meant. I didn't change any timming values since i really don't know how to tweak them and at the moment i only want my system to be stable even if i have to relax the timmings.
    Anyhow, shouldn't my memory be working perfectly after 8h memtest?

Since my last post i had 4/5 crashes. 1 BSOD and freezes. I used Seatools to check the HDD and it was ok.

Knowing that's what you meant, if you care to record any changes in the BIOS other than memory related you've made can I suggest something? That is until Matt hopefully arrives here.

Clear the BIOS the long means, not simply pressing the Clear CMOS button if this MB has one, and begin anew after you've gone back in and (re)set your particular BIOS requirements, but w/o touching the memory portion of the bios. ie: AHCI, WoL, power states, etc etc ......

Then repost the Memory and SPD tabs of CPU-z.

FYI. If you connect a USB stick to a native rear USB 2.0 port, when you are in the BIOS if you want to save a screenshot of what is displayed onscreen, simply press the F12 key and it will save a jpg on the root of the USB stick. Its a nice convenience w/o the hassles of a phone or camera involved what with transferring the pics .
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Ok, I give. My Google Fu is coming up unfruitful while looking for your PSU.

FSP Raiden 550W, or, perhaps maybe FSP Raider 550W ??

yes, it was a misstype, by bad. It's FSP Raider 550w.
    It's midnight here, and since im getting tired i'll what you suggested tomorrow .

Thank you

parsec is offline Senior Member

That FSP Raider 550w PSU is not a dog at all, rated for a max of 504W on the 12V rail.

The Radeon 280 card seems to be a 250 - 300Watt max card depending on the model.

It seems the questionable memory compatibility idea (notion, fact, myth) has been rejected. Memory can test just fine, be working correctly, and still be incompatible. Just something to keep in the back of your mind. It looks like Memtest read that memory as 12800 9 9 9 24. CPU-Z might have a bug in their SPD data reading/processing program, you should see what it shows for the Samsung Green memory.

If you were able to fix corrupted files with that command, and the HDD checked out fine, what's left? I suggested earlier that setting ALL the memory BIOS settings to Auto for a while is free, simple, and hurts nothing as a test.

New model video cards = questionable drivers, have you tried another version if available? As in older and not a beta? Don't forget, beta does not mean special or cutting edge, just new and still not 100% tested.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information