Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FM2A88X Extreme6+ Enable Fast Boot in Windows 8.1 64bit?

wiyosaya is offline Junior Member

Default FM2A88X Extreme6+ Enable Fast Boot in Windows 8.1 64bit?

I know how to enable fast boot in the bios, but if I enable it in the bios and reboot, nothing happens. that is, the system does not boot at all. Is there additional software that I need to enable the fast boot option? I do not see it in either the downloads or on the disk that came with the motherboard.

Thanks.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: FM2A88X Extreme6+ Enable Fast Boot in Windows 8.1 64bit?

Almost no system information, and a bit to general given what is there, so here come the questions.

What Fast Boot setting are you using, "Fast" or "Ultra Fast", if you board's BIOS has both?

Did you have Secure Boot enabled, or CSM disabled when you installed Windows 8?

What are you using for a video source, a video card or on-CPU graphics?

Saying "... if I enable it in the bios and reboot,nothing happens. that is, the system does not boot at all.", sounds like the PC does not even turn on at all. Do the PC's fans start, PSU fan runs, HDDs making noise, but no video at all to the monitor? Nothing happening is not the usual situation when the PC is not configured correctly for using Fast Boot.

8 GB Ram DDR3-2133, Pioneer BDR-2209, Windows 8.1 x64, Samsung 128 GB 840 EVO, Seasonic Platinum 660 XP2. BIOS 2.7, A10-7850K APU. Works fine when fast boot either fast or ultra fast is disabled. Yes, fans come on, the display comes on and I use the APU graphics. The machine simply does not boot windows when fast boot, either fast or ultra fast, is enabled. Perhaps I should re-state what I was requesting this way: There are no instructions on how to setup Fast Boot in the FM2A88X Extreme6+ manual. What needs to be done to setup fast boot? Thanks.
    Last edited by wiyosaya; 02-12-2014 at 10:24 PM.

Ok, I have the info I need now. Yes, there are no instructions about enabling Fast Boot in the manual, and the worthless BIOS help text for that option is... worthless. I've never seen other board manufactures do it better, to be fair.

In order to use Fast or Ultra Fast settings, you must install Windows 8 in "UEFI booting" mode. You also must enable this in the BIOS, in one of two ways:

The first is finding an option called CSM in the BIOS, which is normally set to Enabled. Set that to Disabled to enable UEFI booting and a UEFI booting installation.

The second is finding the Secure Boot option in the BIOS, and setting it to Enabled. That will automatically set CSM to Disabled. CSM is really the switch that selects UEFI or BIOS/Legacy booting.

NOTE: You just can't change those settings with an OS installation done when CSM was set to Enabled. For UEFI booting, the OS drive is formatted as GPT, not the standard MBR formatting. Win 8 will put both a GPT and MBR partition on the OS drive, to allow both methods of booting.

So the bad news is, you must install Win 8 over again with the BIOS settings I mentioned above set as described.

Here's a link to a guide about doing this: UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) - Install Windows 8 with

One more thing, which may stop you from using Fast Boot, is the video source used (onboard or video card) must have a VBios that supports what is known as GOP. That is a video protocol that is used when UEFI booting, which is different than the one used for BIOS/Legacy booting. The Intel on-CPU graphics supports GOP, but I am not sure about AMD's, I have never tracked that down.

Most video cards do not support GOP, so won't work with UEFI booting. NVIDIA based video cards prior to the 600 series cannot support GOP, the end. EVGA/NVIDIA 600 series cards have a VBios update that supports GOP, which they will provide on request. EVGA/NVIDIA 700 series cards support GOP out of the box. GOP support can vary between video card manufactures, and MUST be checked to confirm GOP support. What about AMD/ATI cards? Not sure, again the manufacture must be checked to confirm GOP support.

Questions? Sorry for all the info, but I learned all this by doing it myself with Win 8, etc. I have working Win 8 UEFI booting installations, which once set up work fine, no glitches. But I've done this only on Intel based PCs. The BIOS options must be the same for AMD. ASRock has those options correct, even if they don't document them well. Older mother boards may not even have either of the CSM or Secure Boot options, which makes UEFI booting impossible.

Many thanks for your post. It is very helpful and gives me a great place to start.

I will post to an AMD forum as to whether the A10-7850K APU VBios has GOP support.

One other question I have was raised when I read this on the MS Technet site about Secure Boot.

With secure boot enabled, are there any limitations on installing programs to Win 8.1? The specific programs I have in mind are Media Portal and anyDVD HD as this build is intended to be an HTPC. The blurb leads me to believe that unless the program you are trying to install is listed in the secure boot DB, it will not run on any Win 8 / 8.1 system that has secure boot enabled.

Thanks again.

I answered my own question with this excellent post on Secure Boot. Basically, Secure Boot has nothing to do with the programs that run on Windows 8 or above.

There is also a good overview of UEFI / Secure Boot in this MS Blog. For anyone who has the same questions I do about it, Secure Boot protects the pre-OS environment.
    Last edited by wiyosaya; 02-14-2014 at 01:27 AM. Reason: Improved information

Reading the manual for the FM2A88X Extreme6+ a bit closer, it says under the fast boot section that VBIOS UEFI GOP support is only necessary for an external graphics card; I assume "external" to mean a card you put in a slot on the motherboard. By that, I also assume that GOP support is not needed for any integrated graphics solution. I posed this to the AMD forum, and that assumption was verified.

I will likely take the time to go through reinstalling so that I can use Fast Boot, more so that I can use Secure Boot since the gain is more immunity against boot sector attacks. Since what I am building is an HTPC that will act as a DVR, I have to set windows to auto logon. Using secure boot seems to be a better choice - with fast boot an added nicety.
    Last edited by wiyosaya; 02-14-2014 at 04:46 AM.

Glad that helped you. All the frenzy about Secure Boot and MS locking out other OSs was false. Actually, anything that would do that is in the hands of the mother board or PC manufacture, like the Samsung laptop in the link you posted.

OTOH, I have yet to hear about any wide spread or localized virus, etc, that has attacked the PC boot environment. Secure Boot is not a bad thing, but I have a feeling that it is also being used to get PC builders and users to want to UEFI boot their PCs, to move us away from BIOS/Legacy booting. The limitations of BIOS booting are extreme compared to UEFI booting. For example, BIOS booting runs in 16bit mode, with a 64bit processor. It also can only use 1MB of system memory.

While the many advantages of UEFI booting are not being used, or are available, we may not be getting them until more users adopt it.

I'm a bit skeptical about onboard or on-CPU graphics not needing to be GOP compatible. For example, my ASR Z77 EX 4 board's 2.00 BIOS has in its description, "Update VBIOS.", which can only be for the on-CPU graphics. Then the next BIOS release, 2.10, states, "Supports Windows 8. Note: "Ultra Fast" is only supported by below conditions. 1. OS is Windows 8. 2. Graphics supports UEFI GOP.". This board has a manual update, and the old copy of the manual does not contain any mention of Secure Boot, Fast Boot, or the CSM option. The new manual contains all those options.

I strongly suggest you use the guide I posted the link to, as there are a few things that must be done in a certain way, so the Windows installation will format the OS drive for UEFI booting.

Personally, I think that if a board supports the proper revision of UEFI and it has onboard graphics, then the proper VBIOS code should be there for fast / ultra fast boot to work. If it is not, then I would see that as a problem with the board's BIOS as a whole even though that problem may be located in the VBIOS section of the code. V1.8 of my board's bios lists FM2+ VBIOS update, however, between the previous version and that particular version, the code for the then upcoming FM2+ APUs was added. Since there is a difference in the capabilities of the FM2+ APUs' graphics, most notably 4K support, then I would expect to see an update of the VBIOS at the point the FM2+ APU support was added to the bios. I would be extremely surprised if GOP support were added at that time - because - following your reasoning, it needs to be there regardless of the onboard graphics capabilities. I agree with you that it does seem correct that GOP support be there, however, as I mentioned, I believe the lack of it in a UEFI MB BIOS for a board that supports onboard graphics would be a bug, and a major bug at that as no one using onboard graphics would be able to use ultra fast boot.

Using the link you posted as a guide, I was able to fairly quickly reinstall and get ultra fast boot working using the secure boot option in the bios. I loaded the default keys as there was an option to do that in the bios once I enabled secure boot.

I was a bit surprised that windows reactivated itself without any complaints as it was an OEM version. The only thing that I can figure is that the activation process stores info on the MS site that indicates the hardware configuration of the activated copy, and if a request comes in for reactivation on the same hardware, then it is granted.

FWIW - there have been viruses in the past that have replaced the boot sector on drives, and there was the famous Sony fiasco a few years back where their CDs installed rootkits. The chances of that happening are likely very slim as probably the most likely means of infection in such cases would be an optical disk or usb drive that is infected and exploits auto run. I vaguely recall news of a virus or two in the past that was spread by e-mail and rewrote the boot sector - so such attacks are not entirely impossible. It sounds like UEFI secure boot makes it less likely that an infection would happen that way because of the need to have an identifier in the UEFI db.
    Last edited by wiyosaya; 02-15-2014 at 12:49 AM.

I certainly agree it would be a huge bug to not have a GOP compatible VBios for any onboard graphics, given a board otherwise compatible with UEFI booting and Ultra Fast boot. But the first boards to use UEFI firmware, for Intel processors boards that is the 6 series chipset boards, like the P67 and Z68, do not all have the capability of UEFI booting, and not just because they don't have a Secure Boot option.

I was commenting on the statement by the person that replied to your thread in the AMD forum, which I think is false. Why would onboard graphics be exempt from being GOP compatible? That makes no sense. Simply because the AMD and Intel onboard graphics are ahead of graphics card manufactures regarding GOP support does not mean it is not necessary.

Your line of reasoning about the UEFI updates for your board is correct IMO, but unfortunately we are depending upon details like "VBios updates for GOP" are being mentioned in the UEFI description. I've found features added to my ASR board's UEFI that were not mentioned in the description at all. I'm not disagreeing with you at all, just saying we are at the mercy of the barely there descriptions of the changes.

Frankly, the need for GOP support by the video source is one reason why UEFI booting has not been even mentioned as a feature by mother board manufactures. We know they won't miss anything they can add to all the marketing BS, unless they know it will cause problems, which this can (no video due to no GOP support.) I don't know why the information about this topic is so obscure. IMO, ASR has the UEFI settings for UEFI booting correctly implemented, in contrast to others I have seen.

Windows did not need to be activated again since you did not change mother boards, and even if your version is OEM, you still have a complete copy of the installation media, correct? Can you imagine the database that MS must have with all the activation keys and associated hardware IDs they cross check!

Good to hear you had no problems installing Win 8 in UEFI booting mode, with the help of that guide, that's what I used to get started.

Two FYIs regarding Ultra Fast Boot for you, you really must use the Restart to UEFI utility to get into the UEFI, you can't using the Del or F2 keys at all, even on a cold boot. There is a way to do that in Win 8 (get into the UEFI on the next boot) but it's a non-intuitive back door that you would never normally see. The only other way is to clear the CMOS/UEFI, which of course resets Fast Boot to disabled, and prompts you to go into the UEFI after the reset.

Since Ultra Fast boot is so fast, or I should say the POST is so fast, that your board's sensor chip for system temps and fan speeds may not complete starting up before POST hands off to Windows. I noticed that hardware monitoring programs would not show all the fan speeds of the fans connected to the board, including the ASR utility. If I restarted the PC once or twice, then I would see all the fans listed and their speeds. Is this a bug or just a side affect of Ultra Fast? IMO, it is both, and is something that should be fixed in the future.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information