Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Random Blue Screens All Day Long. What is going on?

adabo is offline Junior Member

Default Random Blue Screens All Day Long. What is going on?

Regretfully I did not come to this forum first. This is the 4th website I'm posting this question to. It seems no other forums want to touch this particular issue.

I keep getting random Blue Screens all day long. I never know what will trigger it. It can be something like copying files from one directory to another, or simply opening a webpage.

The blue screen error says:
    Code:
    DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (USBXHCI.SYS)
    I tried uninstalling the USB3 driver and installing the latest ASRock driver, but it doesn't seem to overwrite it. In the device manager it still shows up as:
    Code:
        Version: 6.2.9200.16656
        Date: 6/28/2013
        Provider: Microsoft
    instead of:
    Code:
        Version: 1.00.0000.0114
        Date: 07/03/2012
        Provider: Etron

I installed windbg and tried my hand at looking at the minidump information, but it seems a bit over my head. Please let me know if there's any information I need to provide. Thanks for any and all help!

P.S. All my drivers are up to date except my Logitech Headset. The reason for this is newer drivers don't work for some games so I reverted back to 8.48.88 (Logitech Gaming Software)

Minidumps:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gdoxabkzrli1u66/02X0Q8ZW0l

Sample Dump:
    Microsoft (R) Windows Debugger Version 6.2.9200.20512 AMD64 Copyright (c) Mic - Pastebin.com

System Specs:
    OS = Windows 8 x64 Pro Version 6.2.9200 Build 9200
    MB = ASRock Z77 Extreme 9
    CPU = Intel Core i7 3770k
    GPU = NVIDIA EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW
    RAM = G.SKILL Sniper 8GB F3-17000CL9D-8GBSR
    SSD = Intel 520 240GB
    HDD = Seagate Barracuda 1TB ST31000528AS
    PSU = Antec EA 650 Green

Peripherals:
    USB3 = External HDD
    USB3 = Keyboard
    USB3 = Mouse
    USB3 = Wireless Headset
    IEEE 1394a = External HDD

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Random Blue Screens All Day Long. What is going on?

I don't know if any of the following will help you, but just FYI at least.

As you now know, Win 8 is strange with USB drivers. Using Win 8 with my ASR Z77 and Z87 boards, I cannot install the Intel USB 3.0 driver for the Intel ports, the installer fails. Same thing for the ASMedia USB 3.0 chip on my Z77 board. I gave up long ago trying to install USB 3.0 drivers with Win 8, and the MS drivers work fine for me. Seems to be the same behavior with your board's Etron chip, but worse.

Driver issues with Win 8 are common, or at least using non-MS drivers for some things. Even my Intel NIC card used with Win 8 won't allow the Intel driver to install.

Here are two newer Etron drivers you can try, if you haven't already. Note that they are considered unofficial, meaning beta or alpha drivers:

Station-Drivers - Etron

Otherwise I suggest not using the Etron USB 3.0 driver, if possible. You could try running a registry cleanup program like CCleaner, and look for entries for the Etron device, delete those that appear to be related to the Etron driver.

Are your Logitech headphones connected via USB? If so, use the standard analog connection if possible.

For a test, you can disable the Etron USB device in Device Manager, and see if you still get BSODs.

What BIOS version do you have on that board?

That list of peripherals you show, are they all truly USB 3.0 devices?

Is ASRock's utility XFast USB installed? If so, either disable(?) it or uninstall(!!!) it and test w/o any of the listed USB 3.0 devices connected you list. Yea, that entails a using PS/2 keyboard and mouse, essentials for troubleshooting.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Is this a new build behaving badly, or one that ran fine for some time now and only recently began behaving this way?

I'll throw this out there. BIOS 1.10, WHICH IS SUPER OLD NOW, states "Modify USB3 controller setting". If your boards current BIOS is 1.00, I'd use Instant Flash to update the BIOS.

Alright, you've guys have given me several things to look into and consider, thank you very much. The first forum to actually reply! :)

@parsec: I don't know where to find BIOS, but I'm running UEFI p1.80. Is UEFI the new BIOS?
    Are your Logitech headphones connected via USB? If so, use the standard analog connection if possible.
    They are USB only. They don't have the jack plug, if that's what you mean.

@wardog:
    Is this a new build behaving badly, or one that ran fine for some time now and only recently began behaving this way?
    This build is just 1 year old now. The blue screens are a new problem and the only clue I have is that I updated my keyboard driver recently and it's been out of control. I uninstalled the driver but it didn't change anything. I know this sounds like "Bingo! We found it!", but I'm not really convinced since there has always been odd things with the USB drivers on this build.

That list of peripherals you show, are they all truly USB 3.0 devices?
    The only true USB3 device I have is the WD external drive. The others are just plugged into blue.

Is ASRock's utility XFast USB installed?
    No, I don't think so. I don't see it in Programs and Features.

On an (most likely) unrelated issue, my machine keeps going into freezing fits during some video games. I just wanted to mention this in this thread in the off chance it could be related, but ultimately I would like to make a new post concerning it. I've already ran Memtest for 9 hours and it's was good. I took the machine outside to clean out the dust and it hasn't froze but one time since. No idea what that's all about. Anyway, I don't want to derail the current topic. One problem at a time :)
    Last edited by adabo; 02-15-2014 at 03:40 AM.

Spyone1 is offline Member

I don't know if this will help, but I was getting the exact same problem and the same error message.

It turned out I had a dual problem. The first was a video card that was overheating due to faulty wiring, the second was a degrading "Boot/BCD" on my boot drive.
    I fixed the video card (well, had it fixed for me) and ran Windows Repair over my installation from the installation CD (eventually) and haven't had the problem since.
    (Currently 290 hours continuous running without a single blue screen).

MAIN PC
    CPU
    - i7-3820 @ 3.60Ghz
    MB - AsRock X79 Extreme6 (Bios P2.80)
    RAM - 2 x 8Gb Patriot Viper 1866 CL10 Series @933Mhz
    GPU - ASUS Radeon HD 7870 Direct CU II (2Gb) x 2 (XFire)
    CASE - Fractal Design Desire R4 Black Case (windowless)
    FANS - Standard Fan CPU, 5 x FD Silent 2 140mm Fans in case
    PSU - Thermaltake R2 800W
    SSD - Sandisk SDSSDHP2 240Gb (boot)
    HDD - 2 x Seagate ST2000DM001 2Tb HDD (Storage)
    SYS - Win7 x64 Ultimate
    KB - Logitech K350 Wireless
    MOU -
    Razor Naga Molten mouse
    MON - ASUS VS247H (1920 x 1080)
    UPS - Belkin Line Interactive 1400VA 840W
    System is not overclocked at all.
    2ND PC
    AMD FM2 A10-7850K @ 3.70Ghz
    AsRock FM2A88X Extreme6+ (Bios P2.90)
    2 x 4Gb G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

Kaveri Spectre Desktop (onboard) @ 760Mhz
    Thermaltake V9 case (1 x 120mm, 1 x 240mm fan)
    Corsair H80i Water Cooler w/2 x 120mm fans
    Seasonic G-Series (SSR-650RM Active PFC F3) 650W

OCZ Vertex 4 120Gb SSD (Boot)
    2 x ST2000DM001 2Tb HDD (Storage)
    Win7 X64 Ultimate
    Logitech G15 (6 G Keys) USB
    Logitech MX-518 mouse
    Phillips 22HFL3350D/10 (1920 x 1080)
    NAS - Netgear RN104-100AJS 4 Bay (not hooked in)
    Not overclocking

@Spyone1: It actually does help. Reason is because I've been considering just formatting and reinstalling windows. So you're experience gives me a little hope and just enough push for me to go ahead and do it. I know this doesn't "solve" the problems, but it it's something I've been meaning to do anyway.

What I plan on doing is trying some of the steps Parsec and wardog advised. In the meantime I'll be making backups in preparation for the format.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by adabo View Post
    Alright, you've guys have given me several things to look into and consider, thank you very much. The first forum to actually reply! :)

@parsec: I don't know where to find BIOS, but I'm running UEFI p1.80. Is UEFI the new BIOS?
    They are USB only. They don't have the jack plug, if that's what you mean.

@wardog:
    This build is just 1 year old now. The blue screens are a new problem and the only clue I have is that I updated my keyboard driver recently and it's been out of control. I uninstalled the driver but it didn't change anything. I know this sounds like "Bingo! We found it!", but I'm not really convinced since there has always been odd things with the USB drivers on this build.

The only true USB3 device I have is the WD external drive. The others are just plugged into blue.

No, I don't think so. I don't see it in Programs and Features.

On an (most likely) unrelated issue, my machine keeps going into freezing fits during some video games. I just wanted to mention this in this thread in the off chance it could be related, but ultimately I would like to make a new post concerning it. I've already ran Memtest for 9 hours and it's was good. I took the machine outside to clean out the dust and it hasn't froze but one time since. No idea what that's all about. Anyway, I don't want to derail the current topic. One problem at a time :)
    That's simple, it's a temperature problem, either the video card, CPU, or both. Dust limits the cooling ability of a fan and heatsink. Do you ever monitor your system's temperatures, particularly when gaming?

Do you have the ASR AXTU utility installed? That will show some system temperatures. I would suggest HWiNFO64, here: HWiNFO, HWiNFO32/64 - Download

You may find the display intimidating, but just check the temperature values at first. Scroll down to see the temperature of your video card. I'd like to know what your "idle" temperatures are (sitting at the Windows desktop, doing nothing else, and while gaming. What are you using for a CPU cooler, and is your CPU over clocked? A screen shot of HWiNFO64 would be great.

Also, the BIOS I am referring to is the UEFI as you said, BIOS is just the usual terminology, and you don't know how much I don't want to use it. But even on the "BIOS" download page, the UEFI is referred to as... you know.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    That's simple, it's a temperature problem, either the video card, CPU, or both. Dust limits the cooling ability of a fan and heatsink. Do you ever monitor your system's temperatures, particularly when gaming?
    Good point about the cooling. I suppose it is possible, I just figured the amount of dust there wasn't enough. I've seen (and had) worse. Nevertheless, there was definite air flow blockage in the fins of my CPU cooler (Hyper 212 EVO). I regularly clean the dust every 3 months. If that was indeed the problem, then I might save my self some money because I was almost certain it's my PSU.

I'd like to know what your "idle" temperatures are (sitting at the Windows desktop, doing nothing else, and while gaming. What are you using for a CPU cooler, and is your CPU over clocked? A screen shot of HWiNFO64 would be great.
    Absolutely, I'll get a couple shots ASAP. I'm using this cooler, and I do not overclock.

Also, the BIOS I am referring to is the UEFI as you said, BIOS is just the usual terminology, and you don't know how much I don't want to use it. But even on the "BIOS" download page, the UEFI is referred to as... you know.
    Hahah, I see what you mean :D

Here's a screenshot of HWiNFO:
    Random Blue Screens All Day Long. What is going on?-bfiy7uf-png

And here is a trimmed down CSV output capture log of the temps: censor(Trim).csv
    I was able to open the CSV easily in Excel (or Calc for Open Office).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information