Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: ASRock Z87 Extreme 6

Default ASRock Z87 Extreme 6

Greetings Everyone,

It's my first time assembling a PC, and I purchased the ASRock Z87 Extreme 6 mobo. I'm trying to install it into a Phantom 410 computer case, and I noticed that there are 9 standard ATX Mounting Holes included with the case, but there are 10 mounting holes on the Z87 motherboard. I've installed the mobo with the 9 ATX holes that are "standard," but I'm worried about leaving one of the holes unscrewed.

Is there any reason that a Z87 ATX has 10 holes rather than 9? Should I be concerned about leaving one hole unscrewed?

Thanks in advanced for any replies.

Default Re: ASRock Z87 Extreme 6

You'll most likely get a myriad of answers on this question. Some will say no it's not needed while others will insist it's needed.

My advice, go to any computer repair shop, even BestBuy if they have a GoofSquad in-house(pains me to rec them), and get the missing standoff and screw if needed.

Some case manufacturers are now FINALLY including the proper amount of standoffs. Its only taken them years to finally catch on that newer MB's require ten.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

parsec is offline Senior Member

I assume you are referring to the extra hole in the board, to the right of the power button on the board itself?

You'll notice that extra hole does not have the electrical contacts all the other standard screw holes do. That's because its purpose is simply to act as a support when the two buttons on the board are used, if you even use them.

You won't find a PC case that has a screw hole for a mother board standoff that will align with that additional hole on the board. That hole is meant to be used with a plastic standoff that just contacts the mother board tray itself, just to provide extra support for the buttons. It is not an essential thing you need.

ASRock Z87 Extreme 6-plastic-standoff-jpg

Hey, first thanks wardog and parsec for the help. It really is good just knowing there's a community of folks out there willing to help and lend advice.

So I checked on the ASRock website, and came across this document:

http://www.asrock.com/support/qa/TSDQA-105.pdf

According to the illustration in the first question, the hole I've got open right now is labeled "B." Now according to the form factor chart, hole B doesn't seem essential for screwing. It just concerns me that it's there and not being screwed down in case that causes issue later. All the forums I read talk about the million things that can go wrong with a mobo, and I'd hate to screw this up on my first time. I might just do what wardog mentioned and go get another standoff screw just to put my mind at ease.

Thanks again.

Do put a standoff at "B".

parsec is offline Senior Member

OMG, did I miss the ball... err, hole on that one!

The mystery mounting hole is indeed in the location of mounting hole B, as shown in the ASR document. Here it is, just below the "Purity Sound" shield for the audio chip:

ASRock Z87 Extreme 6-asrz87tmp-jpg

I'm guessing the extra screw mounting hole is a dedicated ground point for the audio section of the board. The audio components are in a partially electrically isolated section of the board, which can be seen if you put a light source behind the board. Having a separate ground path very close to the audio components should help keep noise out of the audio signal.

Thread Information