Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can't flash bios!? ASRock Extreme6/GB

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Can't flash bios!? ASRock Extreme6/GB

I have read that some people have had success using BIOS chips purchased from eBay for a few different boards. But it is impossible for me to tell you that every seller on eBay will have a perfectly working BIOS chip for you. I have not heard that they are bad or worthless, so they might work for you.

ASRock removed all the earlier BIOS versions of ALL boards that are compatible with Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge processors. That was done because if you apply the Ivy Bridge compatible BIOS, which also changes the IME firmware, if you then were to change to an earlier BIOS version, your board would have issues similar to those you have now.

I don't know why you have not heard from ASRock about your BIOS chip. In the past ASRock has sent BIOS chips used on Intel 6 series boards (that are also SB boards that can use IVB processors) with the IVB compatible BIOS version correctly installed on the chips. That works fine with SB processors, and should work the same way for yours. I don't think you can request a specific BIOS version with a new chip.

ASRock removed all the earlier BIOS versions of ALL boards that are compatible with Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge processors. That was done because if you apply the Ivy Bridge compatible BIOS, which also changes the IME firmware, if you then were to change to an earlier BIOS version, your board would have issues similar to those you have now.
    I think removing ALL SB BIOS-es from their download page is a dumb idea on the ASRock side. If I have SB Processor installed (like in my case) and for a variety of reasons that BIOS chip gets corrupted and I order a new replacement.
    Then how I'm going to flash that preinstalled BIOS driver with the version that is proven to be the most stable in my custom build machine, when there is none to download on their website. Unless you have saved them locally (which I didnt unfortunately) at the time of their release, you're pretty much out of luck even if you have a brand new BIOS chip on your hands to replace with.

I bought my new MoBo with preinstalled BIOS ver. 1.2 a year and a half ago. I combined this with 2 new sets of Corsair Vengeance of High Density RAM (all 8 slots occupied) and my machine was plagued with blue screens almost daily. I thought for a moment my RAM sticks were bad....I checked them all one by one with memtest. No errors whatsoever. I suspected the MoBo had the issue (and rightfully so). When I was about to return my Mobo for an exchange, ASRock released a new BIOS on their site. The BIOS that fixed my BSOD-s was ver. 2.1 or 2.2, if I remember correctly (the last release for SB CPU-s before this one, v2.3 which broke my MoBO again, damn it).

Now things are getting more complicated. If I buy an authentic good chip (if I'm lucky) from ebay with preinstalled BIOS driver (let say v1.2 again) then I'll have BSOD-s showing up again which is nasty... I don't want that anymore. I need to flash to ver. 2.1/2.2 to fix it, but where to get this ver. ASRock has proven to be of no help. So, anyone can assist to obtain the last ver. for SB CPU-s released by ASRock?. I'm asking sort of privately if you ASRock fans have that saved on your archives and be kind to send it to me.

I don't know why you have not heard from ASRock about your BIOS chip. In the past ASRock has sent BIOS chips used on Intel 6 series boards (that are also SB boards that can use IVB processors) with the IVB compatible BIOS version correctly installed on the chips. That works fine with SB processors, and should work the same way for yours.
    Yeah, is frustrating for me to be left helpless from them for almost a month now. I'm their customer!!! They don't even have a phone tech support at all as far as I know. The ONLY way to contact them is via email. This is a bad business practice, really!!

I don't think you can request a specific BIOS version with a new chip.
    I'm afraid you're right. I talked with one of the sellers of these chips on ebay and he told me that they would ship only preinstalled BIOS-es versions that are the same ver. that you get when you buy e new mobo. I assume he meant ver. 1.2, which is not what I want :( .
    But I'll check again if someone else sells it with the ver. I need.

Please contact our PC tech support right away to fix the issue. Here is one of our staffs' email address. Thank you! pablomedina@asrockamerica.com

Customers call in all the time and are able to be transferred to Tech Support through front desk Customer Service. I answered my calls too.

bert7 is offline Junior Member

Try selecting a different site to flash from over the internet, i had that problem where it just froze, i then changed the site as i had 4 to chose from, as soon as i did my bios was updated. you change the site via the UEFI download server line.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information