Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ability to skip waiting for hard drives to spin up

punkid is offline Junior Member

Default Ability to skip waiting for hard drives to spin up

I was wondering if it would be possible to skip waiting for the hard drives to spin-up during POST. I recently purchased an SSD, installed windows 8.1 (UEFI) to make sure it boots really fast. The loading of the OS itself is very fast, but the POST takes equally long. Fastboot and Ultra Fast boot have almost no effect. Without connecting the hard drives, the system boots fast, but with them, POST takes much longer.

So an option to skip waiting for HDDs in the UEFI would be awesome. Is it possible ?

Check my specs on the side.

Spyone1 is offline Member

Default Re: Ability to skip waiting for hard drives to spin up

I know you mentioned Fastboot, but I assume you meant the BIOS Fastboot setting.

Have you tried using the AsRock Fast Boot software that should have come with your motherboard?

MAIN PC
    CPU
    - i7-3820 @ 3.60Ghz
    MB - AsRock X79 Extreme6 (Bios P2.80)
    RAM - 2 x 8Gb Patriot Viper 1866 CL10 Series @933Mhz
    GPU - ASUS Radeon HD 7870 Direct CU II (2Gb) x 2 (XFire)
    CASE - Fractal Design Desire R4 Black Case (windowless)
    FANS - Standard Fan CPU, 5 x FD Silent 2 140mm Fans in case
    PSU - Thermaltake R2 800W
    SSD - Sandisk SDSSDHP2 240Gb (boot)
    HDD - 2 x Seagate ST2000DM001 2Tb HDD (Storage)
    SYS - Win7 x64 Ultimate
    KB - Logitech K350 Wireless
    MOU -
    Razor Naga Molten mouse
    MON - ASUS VS247H (1920 x 1080)
    UPS - Belkin Line Interactive 1400VA 840W
    System is not overclocked at all.
    2ND PC
    AMD FM2 A10-7850K @ 3.70Ghz
    AsRock FM2A88X Extreme6+ (Bios P2.90)
    2 x 4Gb G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

Kaveri Spectre Desktop (onboard) @ 760Mhz
    Thermaltake V9 case (1 x 120mm, 1 x 240mm fan)
    Corsair H80i Water Cooler w/2 x 120mm fans
    Seasonic G-Series (SSR-650RM Active PFC F3) 650W

OCZ Vertex 4 120Gb SSD (Boot)
    2 x ST2000DM001 2Tb HDD (Storage)
    Win7 X64 Ultimate
    Logitech G15 (6 G Keys) USB
    Logitech MX-518 mouse
    Phillips 22HFL3350D/10 (1920 x 1080)
    NAS - Netgear RN104-100AJS 4 Bay (not hooked in)
    Not overclocking

parsec is offline Senior Member

If an option like that were possible, it would probably already exist.

During POST, the communication between the PC and all the drives is established, that is one of the tasks that POST does. The OS does not perform that task, and it is done before you can run the BIOS interface, where you can see all the drives in the PC.

My older board has an option to set the time to wait for drives to start up, and could be adjusted to a shorter time, but that option is rare with newer boards. You could try the Setup Prompt Timeout setting if that is available in the Boot menu of your board.

One partial work around for you would be to have your HDDs in external enclosures and use eSATA or USB connections, and hot plug the drives after the PC boots. It's possible that one of your HDDs is very slow to start, compared to the others.

Thanks for the Replies.
    There is no fastboot software per se, but there is an option in the F-Stream Tuning Utility of the motherboard, but i guess that simply changes the BIOS setting.

I've tried pretty much everything... I guess its not possible then.

Quote Originally Posted by punkid View Post
    Thanks for the Replies.
    There is no fastboot software per se, but there is an option in the F-Stream Tuning Utility of the motherboard, but i guess that simply changes the BIOS setting.

I've tried pretty much everything... I guess its not possible then.
    A year or so ago I saw a show where some university computer lab or something like that was trying to develop a new type of ram called M-ram using magnets to store information on the memory sticks. They went on to say that if they can get it to work your computer would start up so fast that it would be ready to use before the video signal even got to the monitor. It was a pretty interesting show on some of the new computer technology hat universities are trying to develop.

that does seem interesting, since the kernel and operating system would be preloaded into the memory, it would start instantly

Disabling Fast Boot in UEFI makes my z87m Pro4 POSTing faster rather than setting it to Fast or Ultrafast (<doesn't work for me anyway, cause I use Win 8 32 bit).
    I discovered that by coincidence when I was hunting down a blankscreen issue when Fast Startup in Windows was enabled. Disabling fast boot in UEFI solved the blankscreen issue and the POST is a bit quicker rather than with the fast boot option in UEFI set to 'fast'. I hope this wasn't too confusing ;)

Edit: My excitement was too early. The faster POSTing was during a restart (when HDD was already spinning). Booting from power-off state is still longer.
    And the white-screen of death when Fast Startup is enabled in Windows is back. Sometimes it takes 3 or 4 minutes after loggin in for it to appear, sometimes it doesn't appear at all, sometimes I don't even make it to the login. Sheer despair!
    Last edited by Hybrid Vigor; 02-27-2014 at 02:48 PM.

Just tried that, didnt help.

Anyway, did some more testing. Couldnt get it to POST faster with hard drives connected...Under windows 8.1 in the taskmanager, last BIOS time is 13.7 seconds usually, with the HDDs connected, without them, its 2.1.
    I also tried connecting one HDD at a time to see if one was taking longer than the others...That didnt seem to matter much either, each of them had a Last BIOS time of around the 13.7 second mark :p
    It's consistent atleast...
    Oh and my testing didnt show any difference with or without Boot logo. I just mentioned that because everyone suggests turning it off for faster boot times...Even with the SSD only, disabling boot logo had no effect at all, the last bios time remained 2.1 seconds.

With all the improvements in UEFI over BIOS you'd think there would be an option to skip it :p

Is that 320GB Deathstar a SATA drive or an IDE with IDEtoSATA converter?

All drives are SATA...and like i said, ive tried each drive seperately, each takes around the same time on POST, 13 seconds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information