Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UEFI bios for Asrock Z68 Pro3 Gen3 - HELP PLEASE!

Gromit44 is offline Junior Member

Default Re: UEFI bios for Asrock Z68 Pro3 Gen3 - HELP PLEASE!

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Well, as you've probably seen, since BIOS/UEFI 2.10, or whatever version was the change from BIOS to UEFI, ASRock states you should only use newer versions after that. So once you change to the UEFI type BIOS, you can't go back, as is enforced by the Instant Flash tool.
    But I haven't changed from ordinary BIOS to UEFI BIOS - my Z68 Pro 3 Gen 3 came with UEFI already installed. The sticker on the chip says P1.10-15B - so BIOS version 1.10 was already UEFI.

The only option you most likely have, is getting a new BIOS chip from ASRock, or possibly on eBay, that has a pre-UEFI BIOS on it.
    The only chips I can find on eBay appear to have the latest BIOS revision, not the original - e.g. this one BIOS CHIP:ASROCK Z68 PRO3 GEN3 | eBay

What I do when I have wireless mouse/keyboard to receiver problems, is use a USB 2.0 hub which has a cable on it, and locate the hub close to my desk. The wireless receiver is then plugged into the USB hub, and the hub into the board's I/O panel.
    I'll try this using a USB extension cable with a socket on one end for the receiver.

Interesting that the change to the UEFI BIOS seems to have reduced the range of the receiver. If you're using a USB 3.0 port for the receiver, don't bother, that does nothing to enhance the transfer speed. But the issue could be a USB setting in the UEFI, it's worth experimenting with various settings to see if you can fix the range issue.
    Which USB settings (in UEFI) would be the likely ones to try?
    Last edited by Gromit44; 02-25-2014 at 02:07 AM.

This gets weirder by the minute!

I've just tried these two options with UEFI BIOS 2.30 and the Logitech MX5500 receiver back in the monitor's USB 'upstream port' (which is where it was originally with BIOS 1.10):

Option 1
    Monitor's USB 'downstream port' connected by cable to a USB 3.0 socket on the PC tower.
    I can access & navigate the UEFI BIOS using the Logitech keyboard & mouse but Windows takes 70 seconds to boot.

Option 2
    Monitor's USB 'downstream port' connected by cable to a USB 2.0 socket on the PC tower.
    I cannot access the UEFI BIOS using the Logitech keyboard and Windows takes 40 seconds to boot.
    The crucial point is that Option 2 worked properly with BIOS 1.10 - I could access the UEFI screen with the Logitech keyboard and Windows still booted in 40 seconds.

What on earth is going on?
    Last edited by Gromit44; 02-25-2014 at 11:06 AM.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gromit44 View Post
    But I haven't changed from ordinary BIOS to UEFI BIOS - my Z68 Pro 3 Gen 3 came with UEFI already installed. The sticker on the chip says P1.10-15B - so BIOS version 1.10 was already UEFI.

The only chips I can find on eBay appear to have the latest BIOS revision, not the original - e.g. this one BIOS CHIP:ASROCK Z68 PRO3 GEN3 | eBay

I'll try this using a USB extension cable with a socket on one end for the receiver.

Which USB settings (in UEFI) would be the likely ones to try?
    I could swear you said something about a BIOS to UEFI update... never mind.

Your USB problem may be only the first you might have, since I finally noticed you updated to the IVB compatible BIOS/UEFI (2.30), which must be done in a certain way, or the result is an incomplete update. Please see my sticky thread about this situation: http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/5...er-boards.html

The 2.30 UEFI update also updates the Intel ME firmware, that is part of the UEFI file, but only happens if the USB flash drive is left in the PC after it reboots completely when the update is complete.

Next, have you updated the other software that is required when 2.30 is used, the Intel IME software is the most important. There are links to those files on the UEFI download page in your link in your first post.

My advice now is to flash the 2.30 version again, do not remove the flash drive until Windows completely boots after the Instant Flash restart, and update the IME software linked on the BIOS/UEFI download page. Not that we even know what processor you're using, probably a SB.

Given what I know now, the USB settings are not the fix for you. The USB receiver was seven feet away and it still worked Ok at one time? That is a miracle, I've never had a wireless mouse or keyboard work at that distance.

I could swear you said something about a BIOS to UEFI update... never mind.
    No, I just said I'd updated the BIOS to v2.30 (I thought all BIOS versions for the Z68 Pro3 Gen3 were UEFI).

Your USB problem may be only the first you might have, since I finally noticed you updated to the IVB compatible BIOS/UEFI (2.30), which must be done in a certain way, or the result is an incomplete update. Please see my sticky thread about this situation: http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/5...er-boards.html
    I've now read all of the sticky. I only found this forum after trying the update - if I'd seen the sticky first, I'd have left it with the original BIOS. I should have done more research :(

The 2.30 UEFI update also updates the Intel ME firmware, that is part of the UEFI file, but only happens if the USB flash drive is left in the PC after it reboots completely when the update is complete.

Next, have you updated the other software that is required when 2.30 is used, the Intel IME software is the most important. There are links to those files on the UEFI download page in your link in your first post.
    No, I haven't updated the other software. All I did was download 2.30 from this page - ASRock > Z68 Pro3 Gen3

My advice now is to flash the 2.30 version again, do not remove the flash drive until Windows completely boots after the Instant Flash restart, and update the IME software linked on the BIOS/UEFI download page. Not that we even know what processor you're using, probably a SB.
    I didn't remove the USB stick until Windows had fully loaded after the Instant Flash restart. Anyway, I'll try flashing the 2.30 version again and then updating the IME software using the download ME_Win7-64_Win7_Vista64_Vista_XP64_XP(v8.0.2.1410_1.5M)zip from here ASRock > Z68 Pro3 Gen3.

Btw, sorry for not giving any PC specs before - I thought I'd screwed up the BIOS and was panicking, so I didn't bother when I first posted. I've now added the important specs, and you're right, it's an i5 2500K Sandy Bridge.

Given what I know now, the USB settings are not the fix for you.
    I couldn't find any USB-related settings in the BIOS anyway - so I didn't change any. All I've done is switch AHCI on for the SSD C: drive.

The USB receiver was seven feet away and it still worked Ok at one time? That is a miracle, I've never had a wireless mouse or keyboard work at that distance.
    When it's in the back of the tower, the USB receiver (aka Bluetooth dongle) is 7 feet away from my mouse hand - or 4 feet as the crow flies. I called it 7 feet because that's the distance measured in a dog-leg - the tower is on the floor underneath two 1" layers of wood and it's hiding behind a metal filing cabinet. In spite of all this it still worked perfectly with BIOS 1.10.
    Last edited by Gromit44; 02-25-2014 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gromit44 View Post
    ...... I'll try flashing the 2.30 version again and then updating the IME software using the download ME_Win7-64_Win7_Vista64_Vista_XP64_XP(v8.0.2.1410_1.5M)zip from here ASRock > Z68 Pro3 Gen3.
    I've re-flashed to 2.30 but the IME update stalls after it's got most of the way through. It gets to this step and stops, like so:

UEFI bios for Asrock Z68 Pro3 Gen3 - HELP PLEASE!-ime-error-jpg
    Last edited by Gromit44; 02-25-2014 at 08:08 PM.

Edit to post above: I just looked on the Asrock drivers & utilities DVD that came with the motherboard. In the drivers section there's an option to install the 'ME Driver'. I ran this and it came up with the screen below - which appears to indicate that IME is already installed. However, if I run the IME update again, it still stalls as per post 11.

UEFI bios for Asrock Z68 Pro3 Gen3 - HELP PLEASE!-driver-jpg

I have no idea what to do now.
    Last edited by Gromit44; 02-25-2014 at 08:45 PM.

I just discovered two beta bios versions - both have later dates than version 2.30:

• L2.31A from February 2013
    • 2.30b from November 2013

Downloads are at the bottom of this page - ASRock > Products > Motherboard > Z68 Pro3 Gen3 > Download

Worth trying?
    Last edited by Gromit44; 02-25-2014 at 09:18 PM.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Did you run the IME software installer as Administrator? Right click and choose run as Admin?

The IME software version on the disk is older, don't use it. Just run the one you tried earlier as Admin.

It seems you did the BIOS update correctly the first time, you just needed the IME software.

I will be surprised if the IME software installation fixes your receiver problem, unless you were using a USB 3.0 port, which is not needed for a mouse or keyboard.

Receiver problems can change with the weather and having objects between the PC and mouse, etc.

Did you run the IME software installer as Administrator? Right click and choose run as Admin?

The IME software version on the disk is older, don't use it. Just run the one you tried earlier as Admin.

It seems you did the BIOS update correctly the first time, you just needed the IME software.

I will be surprised if the IME software installation fixes your receiver problem, unless you were using a USB 3.0 port, which is not needed for a mouse or keyboard.

Receiver problems can change with the weather and having objects between the PC and mouse, etc.
    Sorry for not responding sooner parsec but I'm having all sorts of trouble now!

I decided to reinstall Windows on another SSD drive and try again from scratch. I've installed everything twice (Win 7 Pro this time) but I've hit snags both times after getting almost all of the programs installed. I've just done a third install (Windows & IE only) and now I can't get into the BIOS at all. Windows starts but if I do a reboot and hit F2 or Del the BIOS just isn't accessible. I've tried clearing the CMOS by taking the battery out but no joy.

Can you suggest anything?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information