Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UEFI bios for Asrock Z68 Pro3 Gen3 - HELP PLEASE!

Gromit44 is offline Junior Member

Default UEFI bios for Asrock Z68 Pro3 Gen3 - HELP PLEASE!

I have the Asrock Z68 Pro3 Gen3 motherboard. Using the original bios that came with the board I was able to access the UEFI screen by pressing F2 or Delete on my Logitech MX5500 wireless mouse and keyboard.

I just upgraded the bios to version 2.30 (which is the latest version listed on Asrock's website link) and now I can't access the UEFI screen with the Logitech MX5500 - I have to use a PS/2 keyboard instead. I've tried flashing to version 2.10 but that does the same

Can anyone tell me which bios was supplied with the Z68 Pro3 Gen3 - i.e. what was the version number? (I have a feeling it was 1.10).

Default Re: UEFI bios for Asrock Z68 Pro3 Gen3 - HELP PLEASE!

Quote Originally Posted by Gromit44 View Post
    Can anyone tell me which bios was supplied with the Z68 Pro3 Gen3 - i.e. what was the version number? (I have a feeling it was 1.10).
    You have that info right there. :)

Look at the white sticker covering the BIOS chip on the lower right of the board. The original BIOS revision that it came from the factory with is printed on that sticker.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    You have that info right there. :)

Look at the white sticker covering the BIOS chip on the lower right of the board. The original BIOS revision that it came from the factory with is printed on that sticker.
    Thanks for the quick reply Wardog. I just looked at the sticker and it says P1.10-15B. Do you know where I can download this version?

Sure do. Straight from ASRock even so you don't have doubts of it's validity.

Instant Flash version:
    http://66.226.78.21/downloadsite/bio...1.10%29ROM.zip

Just be sure you know what you're doing by flashing an older version.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    Sure do. Straight from ASRock even so you don't have doubts of it's validity.

Instant Flash version:
    http://66.226.78.21/downloadsite/bio...1.10%29ROM.zip

Just be sure you know what you're doing by flashing an older version.
    Ah, thanks, that looks like the one :) - I've downloaded it.

Is there anything dangerous about flashing to this one (P1.10) as opposed to a newer one (e.g. P2.30)?

Here's what I did to get to P2.30:

• Download the zip and open it.
    • Copy the file 'Z68P3G3x.xx' to an empty USB stick.
    • Reboot and press F2.
    • Go to Instant Flash and wait for it to find the file 'Z68P3G3x.xx'.
    • Start flash - wait for it to finish and automatically reboot the PC - don't touch the USB stick until Windows has loaded.

Edit 1: I just tried the above method. I downloaded this - http://66.226.78.21/downloadsite/bio...1.10%29ROM.zip. I unzipped it and copied the file called Z68P3G31.10 to an empty USB stick. I rebooted the PC and got into the Asrock UEFI Setup Utility. Unfortunately the Instant Flash dialog box says "No image file detected".

Edit 2: To make sure the USB stick is being seen, I copied the P2.30 file onto it as well. So the USB stick now contains these two files: Z68P3G31.10 and Z68P3G32.30. Instant Flash doesn't find Z68P3G31.10 bit it does find Z68P3G32.30 - therefore the USB stick is ok and is being seen.

This leads to the conclusion that either:

a) Z68P3G31.10 is a faulty file (or the wrong type of file)
    b) Instant Flash cannot (or will not) flash to an earlier series version - i.e. 2.xx won't flash to 1.xx
    Last edited by Gromit44; 02-25-2014 at 09:25 AM.

I have the Asrock Z68 Pro3 Gen3 motherboard. Using the original bios that came with the board I was able to access the UEFI screen by pressing F2 or Delete on my Logitech MX5500 wireless mouse and keyboard.

I just upgraded the bios to version 2.30 (which is the latest version listed on Asrock's website link) and now I can't access the UEFI screen with the Logitech MX5500 - I have to use a PS/2 keyboard instead. (I've tried flashing to version 2.10 but that does the same).
    I think I've just solved the above problem. I moved the Bluetooth receiver for the Logitech MX5500 to another USB port and I can now access and navigate the UEFI bios using the MX5500 keyboard and mouse.
    Last edited by Gromit44; 02-25-2014 at 12:38 AM.

Edit 2: To make sure the USB stick is being seen, I copied the P2.30 file onto it as well. So the USB stick now contains these two files: Z68P3G31.10 and Z68P3G32.30. Instant Flash doesn't find Z68P3G31.10 bit it does find Z68P3G32.30 - therefore the USB stick is ok and is being seen.

This leads to the conclusion that either:

a) Z68P3G31.10 is a faulty file (or the wrong type of file)
    b) Instant Flash cannot (or will not) flash to an earlier series version - i.e. 2.xx won't flash to 1.xx
    The "No image file detected" problem remains a mystery. I'd still like to revert to the original bios (P1.10) because the receiver is now too far away from the mouse and the increase in distance is causing erratic mouse control.

An ideas folks?
    Last edited by Gromit44; 02-25-2014 at 12:44 AM.

Spyone1 is offline Member

A cheap and nasty suggestion...add a USB extension cable to your wireless cable receiver so you can move it closer?

I have the Logitech wireless K350 and I had to do something similar, in my situation it was a line-of-sight problem.

MAIN PC
    CPU
    - i7-3820 @ 3.60Ghz
    MB - AsRock X79 Extreme6 (Bios P2.80)
    RAM - 2 x 8Gb Patriot Viper 1866 CL10 Series @933Mhz
    GPU - ASUS Radeon HD 7870 Direct CU II (2Gb) x 2 (XFire)
    CASE - Fractal Design Desire R4 Black Case (windowless)
    FANS - Standard Fan CPU, 5 x FD Silent 2 140mm Fans in case
    PSU - Thermaltake R2 800W
    SSD - Sandisk SDSSDHP2 240Gb (boot)
    HDD - 2 x Seagate ST2000DM001 2Tb HDD (Storage)
    SYS - Win7 x64 Ultimate
    KB - Logitech K350 Wireless
    MOU -
    Razor Naga Molten mouse
    MON - ASUS VS247H (1920 x 1080)
    UPS - Belkin Line Interactive 1400VA 840W
    System is not overclocked at all.
    2ND PC
    AMD FM2 A10-7850K @ 3.70Ghz
    AsRock FM2A88X Extreme6+ (Bios P2.90)
    2 x 4Gb G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

Kaveri Spectre Desktop (onboard) @ 760Mhz
    Thermaltake V9 case (1 x 120mm, 1 x 240mm fan)
    Corsair H80i Water Cooler w/2 x 120mm fans
    Seasonic G-Series (SSR-650RM Active PFC F3) 650W

OCZ Vertex 4 120Gb SSD (Boot)
    2 x ST2000DM001 2Tb HDD (Storage)
    Win7 X64 Ultimate
    Logitech G15 (6 G Keys) USB
    Logitech MX-518 mouse
    Phillips 22HFL3350D/10 (1920 x 1080)
    NAS - Netgear RN104-100AJS 4 Bay (not hooked in)
    Not overclocking

parsec is offline Senior Member

Well, as you've probably seen, since BIOS/UEFI 2.10, or whatever version was the change from BIOS to UEFI, ASRock states you should only use newer versions after that. So once you change to the UEFI type BIOS, you can't go back, as is enforced by the Instant Flash tool.

The only option you most likely have, is getting a new BIOS chip from ASRock, or possibly on eBay, that has a pre-UEFI BIOS on it.

What I do when I have wireless mouse/keyboard to receiver problems, is use a USB 2.0 hub which has a cable on it, and locate the hub close to my desk. The wireless receiver is then plugged into the USB hub, and the hub into the board's I/O panel.

Interesting that the change to the UEFI BIOS seems to have reduced the range of the receiver. If you're using a USB 3.0 port for the receiver, don't bother, that does nothing to enhance the transfer speed. But the issue could be a USB setting in the UEFI, it's worth experimenting with various settings to see if you can fix the range issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyone1 View Post
    A cheap and nasty suggestion...add a USB extension cable to your wireless cable receiver so you can move it closer?

I have the Logitech wireless K350 and I had to do something similar, in my situation it was a line-of-sight problem.
    I think it's more likely to be a range problem than a line-of-sight problem.

The receiver was in a USB port on the back of my monitor and although it was only 18 inches away from the mouse, line of sight was blocked by the monitor screen - the mouse still worked perfectly though.

Now the receiver is in the tower, about 7 feet away from the mouse - and cursor movement is erratic.

I'll try an extension cable but the real solution is roll back to the bios that was installed at the factory (P1.10-15B) - everything worked perfectly with that version. Asrock must have changed the way USB is set up in their newer 'series 2' bios versions (P2.20 and P2.30) - I can't think of anything else that would cause it.
    Last edited by Gromit44; 02-25-2014 at 01:23 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information