Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A-Tuning | Live Update | Onboard VGA Driver

Default A-Tuning | Live Update | Onboard VGA Driver

This is an ASRock Z87 Extreme4 motherboard.
    The UEFI Main Screen shows the firmware version is " P2.70 ".

A-Tuning | Live Update display is as follows..................................................... .................................................. ................
    DRIVER CURRENT VERSION LATEST VERSION

Onboard VGA Driver 1.5.46.0 10.18.10.3277
    ASRock App Charger - 1.0.6
    Then there are two buttons: { " Detect " and " Update " }
    .................................................. .................................................. ................

Is anyone else seeing this ?

I don't know how this stuff works.
    It seems the firmware is more than just a one lump download and install.
    Apparently, the drivers plug-in on top of the firmware.
    But the mystery is Version " 1.5.46.0 " for the Onboard VGA Driver.
    Where did that come from ?
    If it is not the right version nor the latest version, then how did it get in there ?
    I've had the PC only a couple of weeks and I don't recall seeing this a week ago.

Spyone1 is offline Member

Default Re: A-Tuning | Live Update | Onboard VGA Driver

If you go to the AsRock software download page for your motherboard you will see options for Win 8.1 64 bit, 8.1 32 bit, 8 64 bit, 8 32 bit, 7 64 bit, 7 32 bit and so forth.

Depending on your operating system, your VGA driver version (a separate file download) will be 10.18.10.3277 (for Win 8 64 bit) to 9.18.10.3272 (for Win 7 32 bit).

The 10.18.10.3277 is one of the driver versions (and the latest for Windows 8.1, both 32 and 64 bit) and this is part of the driver number your A-Tuning is reporting.
    If your system is working correctly I wouldn't worry too much about the other numbers.
    If you are worried about whether you have the latest version or not and don't trust the A-Tuning, download the file separately from AsRock and install it that way.

MAIN PC
    CPU
    - i7-3820 @ 3.60Ghz
    MB - AsRock X79 Extreme6 (Bios P2.80)
    RAM - 2 x 8Gb Patriot Viper 1866 CL10 Series @933Mhz
    GPU - ASUS Radeon HD 7870 Direct CU II (2Gb) x 2 (XFire)
    CASE - Fractal Design Desire R4 Black Case (windowless)
    FANS - Standard Fan CPU, 5 x FD Silent 2 140mm Fans in case
    PSU - Thermaltake R2 800W
    SSD - Sandisk SDSSDHP2 240Gb (boot)
    HDD - 2 x Seagate ST2000DM001 2Tb HDD (Storage)
    SYS - Win7 x64 Ultimate
    KB - Logitech K350 Wireless
    MOU -
    Razor Naga Molten mouse
    MON - ASUS VS247H (1920 x 1080)
    UPS - Belkin Line Interactive 1400VA 840W
    System is not overclocked at all.
    2ND PC
    AMD FM2 A10-7850K @ 3.70Ghz
    AsRock FM2A88X Extreme6+ (Bios P2.90)
    2 x 4Gb G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

Kaveri Spectre Desktop (onboard) @ 760Mhz
    Thermaltake V9 case (1 x 120mm, 1 x 240mm fan)
    Corsair H80i Water Cooler w/2 x 120mm fans
    Seasonic G-Series (SSR-650RM Active PFC F3) 650W

OCZ Vertex 4 120Gb SSD (Boot)
    2 x ST2000DM001 2Tb HDD (Storage)
    Win7 X64 Ultimate
    Logitech G15 (6 G Keys) USB
    Logitech MX-518 mouse
    Phillips 22HFL3350D/10 (1920 x 1080)
    NAS - Netgear RN104-100AJS 4 Bay (not hooked in)
    Not overclocking

I'm trying to understand where Version " 1.5.46.0 " for the Onboard VGA Driver came from.

Is there is a bug in the BIOS or
    is there is a bug in the "Onboard VGA Driver" or
    is there is a bug in the A-Tuning Utility ?

Do a search on your C drive for igxpun.exe and you'll probably find it's version number is 1.5.46.0 .

It's got to do with Open CL, and my guess is the version number is referenced "somewhere' in a file that is being read.

Beyond that I haven't a clue what it is exactly as that kind of detail is way way above my pay grade.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Avanti View Post
    This is an ASRock Z87 Extreme4 motherboard.
    The UEFI Main Screen shows the firmware version is " P2.70 ".

A-Tuning | Live Update display is as follows..................................................... .................................................. ................
    DRIVER CURRENT VERSION LATEST VERSION

Onboard VGA Driver 1.5.46.0 10.18.10.3277
    ASRock App Charger - 1.0.6
    Then there are two buttons: { " Detect " and " Update " }
    .................................................. .................................................. ................

Is anyone else seeing this ?

I don't know how this stuff works.
    It seems the firmware is more than just a one lump download and install.
    Apparently, the drivers plug-in on top of the firmware.
    But the mystery is Version " 1.5.46.0 " for the Onboard VGA Driver.
    Where did that come from ?
    If it is not the right version nor the latest version, then how did it get in there ?
    I've had the PC only a couple of weeks and I don't recall seeing this a week ago.

This situation needs some explaining, but the only problem is in Live Update. I must say the Live Update is not as smart as it could be, although you can decide that for yourself in a moment.

BTW, how the version 2.70 UEFI/BIOS firmware would be at all related to various Windows drivers makes no sense. It isn't, and I'm sorry Avanti but you "don't know how this stuff works."

A UEFI/BIOS file is stored on a chip on the mother board, while video, SATA, USB, etc, drivers are files/programs that are part of an OS (Windows) installation, and stored on the OS drive, the 'C:' drive in Windows.

Anyway, Spyone1 is basically correct about the different versions of the video drivers. The confusion in Live Update is partially caused by the way Intel packages the video driver updates for their many different on-CPU video processors.

Instead of separate driver downloads for each video processor (~10+ currently), further divided into OS version (Win8, Win 7, XP, etc) and type (32 and 64 bit), Intel combines as many as possible into one driver installation program. For example, the latest such package for SB, IVB, and Haswell processors using Win 7 and 8 64 bit, is version 15.33.14.64.3412 , or to quote Intel, "This driver package contains version 15.33.14.64.3412 (10.18.10.3412) for Windows 7/8/8.1*." : https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...ivers&lang=eng

Avanti's Z87 EX 4 board download page shows the video driver download as version 9.18.10.3272, which is correct. When you click on the download link for that driver, what do you see?

A-Tuning | Live Update | Onboard VGA Driver-intel-video-driver-file-jpg

Yes, the v15.31.18.64.3272.zip download file matches the Intel graphics driver installer format, since that is all the file is, with an added ASRock logo, disclaimer, etc.

If you look in Windows Programs and Features, the Intel video driver version will be 9.18.10.3272, and also in Device Manager.

wardog's idea about looking for the 1.5.46.0 string as a version number of some sort had me off on several tangents... one of them bore fruit.

I found a log file of the Intel graphics driver installation program, and found this:

[Install Configuration]
    Installer Version: 1.5.46.0
    Compile date = Fri Dec 6 13:55:31 2013
    OS command line = C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\Install\i gxpun.exe -s -report "c:\Intel\Logs" -coin "C:\WINDOWS\INF\oem34.inf"
    Effective command line = -s -report "c:\Intel\Logs" -coin "C:\WINDOWS\INF\oem34.inf"
    Windows Version = Windows 8
    Platform = 64 bit
    Core Version = 3.0.1 (IIF2++)
    System up time = 89454 sec
    [INF Info]
    INF = C:\WINDOWS\INF\oem34.inf
    * Section <PackageInfo> Key <Sequence> not found in INF
    Date = 12/18/2013
    Version = 10.18.10.3379

The 1.5.46.0 is Intel's internal ID of the graphics installation program, which has a corresponding driver. That ID is seen no where by the PC user, and I had no idea what it was until I just found this. That means referencing it as the Current Version in Live Update is worthless to the user, it tells them nothing.

Actually, I've changed my mind, Live Update is just wrong and very limited in its capability. The "Latest Version" listing is just what is available on the ASR download list for your board, not necessarily the latest version of a driver. I have the IRST SATA driver version 13.0.0.1072 installed, listed in Live Update as "Current Version", but the "Latest Version" is listed as 12.8.0.1016. 12.8 of course is what is listed on my board's download page, you can get 12.9 from Intel directly, and the 13.0 beta driver from... out there

I hate automatic driver update programs, and this is an example of why I do. Disabling automatic Windows Updates is the first thing I do when I install Windows. I never use any automatic driver update programs, since IMO they cannot be trusted. Sure some may work, but what would Live Update do for me?

Question for ASRock, in the list of Servers for Live Update, which has Asia, Europe, CA, and China, what do I choose if I'm in the USA? I suppose CA is California?

Wow. Here's what I did.

1) CONTROL PANEL | UNINSTALL A PROGRAM :
    Uninstalled " Intel Graphics Driver " version " 10.18.10.3277 ".

2) Using Driver DVD, installed " Onboard VGA Driver "

3) Observed CONTROL PANEL | UNINSTALL A PROGRAM screen andit says...
    " Intel Graphics Driver " version " 10.18.10.3277 ".

4) Started A-TUNING | LIVE UPDATE

Now only the " ASRock APP Charger " anomally appears
    ( because I did not install that driver... is it required ? ).

The "Onboa
    rd VGA Driver" anomally (current version 1.5.46.0 and latest version 10.18.10.3277 )
    no longer appears :-)

So, what this seems to imply is that at some point in time,
    Windows Update installed a different driver and
    that driver's " Version " field apparently containsthe " Installer Version " instead of the Driver version and
    thatsounds like a Windows Update Driver (wherever it came from) bug.
    Just my perception.

And then...
    I went to CONTROL PANEL | SYSTEM & SECURITY | WINDOWS UPDATE | CHANGE SETTINGS and
    verified the setting is now " Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them ".

Then back to the WINDOWS UPDATE screen and it shows a link...
    " 1 optional update is available " and I clicked it to see what it is and it is...
    " Intel Corporation - Graphics Adapter WDDM1.2, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.3 - Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 ".
    This is the root cause of the A-Tuning | Live Update anomally.

Now what ?
    Hopefull Intel is fixing this anomally.
    If this driver is any better than what is on the ASRock Driver web page,
    then I'll assume ASRock will provide that on the ASRock Driver web page and
    at that time, I will download it from there.

Untill then, I will perpectually ignore Windows Update...
    " 1 optional update is available "...
    " Intel Corporation - Graphics Adapter WDDM1.2, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.3 - Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 ".

Thank You everyone.

It would appear Microsoft is responsible for this, not ASRock or Intel.

Most likely how MS versions the available drivers when available through Windows Update.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Nope, my Intel graphics driver installation log has multiple Installer Version entries (6) similar to "1.5.46.0", starting with one corresponding with the day I installed Windows 8 on my ASR Z87 PC, that one is 1.5.38.0.

I installed all the drivers myself and don't have the network cable connected to the PC when I install Windows, to prevent automatic driver installation. Each new driver I installed has with it the Installer Version that is a greater version number than the previous one. The log file is C:\Intel\Logs\IntelGFX.

Regardless, it is possible that the Microsoft packaging of the Intel graphics driver installer caused the Installer Version to be stored instead of the driver version number, wherever Live Update is reading it.

Also, you can check what Windows Updates were installed by clicking "View update history" on the Windows Update main screen.

Optional Windows updates should not be automatically installed AFAIK.

Windows offers graphics driver updates for all of the common graphics processors, AMD/ATI and NVIDIA for example, not just Intel.

The OS is Windows 8.1 Pro x64.
    The CPU is i7-4771.
    Installing the Windows Update driver causes the anomally where
    the Windows Uninstall screen displays the driver version number correctly as 10.18.10.3277 but
    the A-Tuning | Live Update (wrongfully) shows the "current version" for the driver as 1.5.46.0
    ( and suggests updating the driver ).

I then described uninstalling the Windows Update driver and using the ASRock Drivers DVD to
    (re)install the Onboard VGA Driver and how that resolved the anomally and
    my perception is that the root cause of this anomally is Microsoft. If " Nope ", then who ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information