Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: AsRock Z87 Extreme3 voltage help

Default AsRock Z87 Extreme3 voltage help

Hello, I have recently purchased an AsRock Z87 Extreme3 motherboard with an i5 4670k and I wanted to OC it a little, AsRock's optimized OC only worked with 4GHz frequency, at 4.2GHz I get a BSOD when I'm stress testing my CPU (right after I start the stress test, or after a max of roughly 15 seconds) and at 4.4GHz I get a BSOD while the windows is loading. After having set a manual core voltage and cache voltage of 1.230V on both of them apparently the CPU went through Aida64's stress test a little bit without heating up too much (with CPU-Z detecting a voltage of 1.228 V ) but that was yesterday and I didn't have time for prolonged testing, but I'm interested in the adaptive voltage but I don't quite understand AsRock's description: Configure the voltage added to the CPU when the system is under heavy load. It sounds noob-ish but I don't actually know what they mean with that, as an example if I set both core and cache adaptive voltages to 1.230 V does it mean that under heavy load, the CPU will reach a maximum of 1.230 V or it will be added 1.230 V on TOP of what it already haves at that time (ex: 0.8V) effectively killing the CPU instantly? (I'm mainly gaming and watching movies on my PC)

Also, if I BSOD with the higher frequency (4.4GHz) right when the windows starts does it mean that my CPU is just very, very bad? I did try to tune the voltage a little but it didn't help at all.

As a side note, my non-overclocked CPU voltage is of 1.073 V non turbo and 1.136 V turbo, given that some people even got to 4.2GHz with only 1.125 V is this another clue that my CPU is bad?

Also whenever I OC my windows doesn't actually see my new OC (task manager says that my max cpu speed is still 3,4GHz, Computer Properties menu also says that my CPU is at 3,4GHz but CPU-Z and RealTemp can see my CPU's real speed, shouldn't the windows see the new speed as well?
    Last edited by Dutu40; 02-25-2014 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Additional info

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: AsRock Z87 Extreme3 voltage help

The description for the for the CPU Adaptive Voltage entry, which for my board is: "Configure the voltage added to the CPU when the system is under heavy
    load.
    " is just plain wrong.

Putting 1.230V in that field will not cause that voltage to be added to whatever voltage the CPU is using at that time. I can understand why you would think so given the description, but it's either a mistranslation, a mistake by the person writing it, or both.

Adaptive voltage adds voltage beyond the amount you entered in the CPU Adaptive Voltage field. The amount will be determined by the CPU itself, and requested via the CPU VID. The CPU is smart enough not to request more voltage than will destroy it.

I don't know if your board has a CPU Offset Voltage setting, if it does that can be used to limit the amount added by the CPU when using Adaptive Voltage. The big question is if your board's UEFI allows you to use negative voltage offsets when using Adaptive Voltage.

It sounds like you tried to use the automatic OC selections, but then changed the CPU voltage yourself? You didn't use what was automatically used by the OC selection?

One way to OC Haswell CPUs is to either select Adaptive or Auto for the CPU voltage, set the Offset Voltage to Auto, enter the OC multiplier, and then see what voltage you get when in Windows. It will always be more than you need. You then reduce the CPU voltage using negative offset, until it BSODs from to little voltage, and you then return to adding a bit more voltage, and test again.

Or start with a lower fixed voltage, enter the OC, test and if it BSODs, you need more voltage.

If you BSOD when Windows starts, you have to little voltage.

1.073V for the stock frequency is not bad, but how do you know you cannot reduce it? Is that with CPU voltage set to Auto? I can reduce my stock speed voltage below the Auto voltage the CPU chooses.

Windows does not always read the actual CPU frequency, just the stock frequency information from the CPU. Task Manager in Windows 8 lists the stock CPU speed, and does show an OC, but is very inaccurate, it is worthless for monitoring an OC.

Haswell CPU over clocking is more difficult than IVB or SB, you should search for Haswell OC guides and study them since there is more to it than anyone can write in a forum post or two.

Default Re: AsRock Z87 Extreme3 voltage help

I tried what you recommended me, parsec, but apparently it's the exact opposite to me, my motherboard supplies too little voltage to my CPU (1.218V at 4.2GHz frequency) with everything on auto and only the CPU frequency changed. It either BSODs when the windows is loading or, after the windows is loaded and I try some stress testing it passes the stress test but instantly BSODs when I enter in a game (Starcraft 2 for example).
    ...But then again, isn't even 1.218V too much for 4.2GHz? Atm it's at 4.2GHz with 1.233V (1.230 adaptive with 0.001 offset apparently means + 0.003 for the mobo).

I also heard that there are different types of processors (malaysia and costa rica)...mine haves the Batch#3314B781 if it's of any help.
    Last edited by Dutu40; 02-28-2014 at 12:17 AM.

Thread Information