Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: ASRock H87 Pro4 - No Fan Control

Default ASRock H87 Pro4 - No Fan Control

Hi there,

I am having some trouble with my fans, especially the cpu fan. It's running always at 1000 RPM (50%), no matter if the temp. is increasing or not. Only at 80C it starts to run faster. But then the fan speed jumps endlessly from 1000 to 2000 RPM, even though the temp. is low and remain low. It stops only after a reboot. When I am trying to change the fan setting in BIOS, it doesn't show any effect. Only when I am set the fan to full speed it will actual go full speed (2000 RPM). The other options have no impact at the fan speed. It's a 4 pin wire connected to the 4 pin CPU_FAN1 connector. So it should be correct. I have also tryed to use FAN-tastic tuning and Speedfan, but it won't help. At Speedfan I can only adjust my GPU fan, not the other fans. It also shows me this message at start:

WARNING: bad Winbond($5CA3,$C1) identify (NCT6776F,W83677HG-I)
    NCT6776F (ID=$C1) found (using SuperIO) on ISA at $290

I can't adjust my 2 chassis fans either. Their speed jumps from 1000 to 2000 RPM and 1000 to 2500 RPM. They have 3 pin wires which are connected to 4 pin CHA_FAN1 and CHA_FAN2.

My specs:

Intel Xeon E3 1230v3 with boxed cooler
    bequit E9 580W
    Asus R9 280x
    Win 8.1
    UEFI 1.90

It's the only problem I have. The PC is working like a charm. No crashs etc.

Sorry for my bad english.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: ASRock H87 Pro4 - No Fan Control

Your English is fine, I understand you.

The warning about the NCT6776F, is about the temperature sensor and fan speed control chip on the board, which is a NCT6776F chip. It might be bad, not sure yet.

In the fan speed settings in the BIOS for the CPU cooler, are you using Custom mode, and then setting the fan speed for a CPU temperature? Same for the Chassis fan.

Don't use SpeedFan with the BIOS or Fantastic Tuning, that will cause problems.

Are you using the Fast Boot option set to Fast or Ultra Fast?

I have tried to customize the fan speed by temperature in the BIOS, but it doesn't show any effect until I reach 80C (only while gaming + browser and watching streams or benchmarking). Fast boot is disabled.

I will buy a custom cpu cooler to get the temperatures low, but I think this won't fix the fan control issue?!

parsec is offline Senior Member

Forgot to ask, do you have A-Tuning set to run any of its settings when Windows boots? That would override the BIOS settings.

That warning about the NCT6776F chip might be the cause of your fan speed control issues.

No, I didn't set it to load any settings on boot. I uninstalled it anyway. I have ordered a cooler which will arrive tomorrow or thursday. Hope it will lower the temperatures notable.

Thread Information