Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Northbridge cooler for ASRock 970 Extreme 4

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Northbridge cooler for ASRock 970 Extreme 4

Quote Originally Posted by l_n_hughes View Post
    Just so we're all clear, I wasn't trying to be rude with that comment. Its hard to convey emotion in text, but I assure you it was not intended to make anybody angry. It gets about 72 degrees while gaming. The problem is that it sits about a CM from my poor GPU which has to work its butt off to keep up with newer games like Thief, and creates enough heat on its own. I believe I have pretty decent case flow with the front fans pushing air towards the back and the CPU heatsink pushing the air towards the back as well.
    No anger in my post, I was just sayin', so not to worry.

The stock heatsink is rather small and the GPU heat is of course a problem. Not sure about AMD chipsets, but many Intel chipsets have a max temp of 100C. But cooler is better.

Well I learned something new with this thread. That you can change the stock GPU cooling block or whatever you want to call them. Wouldn't a good side panel fan pulling air in towards the mobo also help with keeping them cool?

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    No harm, no foul l_n_hughes. I apologize for any confusion. Parsec, a very smart and prolific "Support' person nailed it. I ask because I(we) have no direct access to any specs other than the boards I(we) purchase.

One thing to note here is to be sure you remove the protective clear static film covering the NB cooler. Imperative actually. I know why they put it there but really wish they made it clear in plain english using BOLD letters that that needs removed. A sticker over it with that warning and a provided "Pull tab' would be even better. Sadly too many users don't even know it''s there.

The Spot Cool. I dunno. I use them on the mosfet/vrm's where I use water cooling as when wc'ing there isn't suitable air flow in that area to cool them. It may be strong enough to direct some air down onto your NB dependent on how turbulent your front case fans are there inside your case. Then again, you could always twist it to hover directly over the NB too, provided an available or suitable base mounting location.

And in now reading some of your other posts here regarding air flow, I'd maybe say to also look at one of the NB/Fan coolers from EnzoTech. In visiting that page there are "Measure Motherboard Compatibility" links on each products page that you can print out and overlay directly on your specific MB/NB to be sure there's no capacitors or other "device' that will interfere with it's placement and mounting.
    Thanks for the EnzoTech link. It was a lot of help. Yeah I made sure I removed all plastic covers when I installed the MB. The NB one was barely noticeable, so I can see how that would be easily missed.
    This is what I'm looking at.
    Amazon.com: Logisys Corp. North Bridge Cooling Fan for North Bridge Processor CC2: Computers & Accessories
    Also, its been my experience that replacing existing thermal paste with artic silver 5(my favorite) will lower temps on its own by 5 to 10 degrees. I'll let you guys know how it works out.

That Logisys heat sink is 40mm square, and it looks like the two mounting arms slide into slots on the heat sink. So the two mounting holes on the board would need to be 40mm apart, not as measured between their actual positions, but as if one was directly below the other. 40mm is ~1.59 inches. The size is very similar to that of your southbridge heat sink.

Both the original heat sink and this one use the spring loaded pins to apply pressure on the chipset. That is one of their disadvantages, the amount of pressure they apply is minimal, and they tend to wobble due to the two point mounting system.

Replacing the TIM will certainly help, you'll probably find the original application was done rather poorly.

Were it me I'd keep looking.

Something to keep in mind while employing that Logisys you linked.

Do not bump it after installing lest it slide off the NB and chip the NB while doing so. Allowing a rather sloppy fitment "ear' to sink. Those two mounting "ears' do not mount solidly to the sink itself like, say, THIS one, which I've used before. PITA those little nuts, bolts, and ears were to align properly to the MB holes I'm here to tell you.

But the linked I can see myself being heavy handed in a case some time and "rearrange' it's mounting. Like pulling a cable through from the backside of the case.

Another ***** is as it may slide/be nudged each and every it gets knocked around your TIM will need a reseat period. That is unless you mistakenly give it a hard knock and slide the damn thing plum off, possibly chipping the NB in the process.

Something to think about anyways ...........
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

wardog, I agree 100%.

These heat sinks are a PITA to replace, and the flat ones with no fins like on the OP's board are not much better than nothing.

Another possibility is this: Amazon.com : Zalman ZM-NBF47 Northbridge Flower Heatsink : Desktop Computer Heatsinks : Computers & Accessories

Or this one at least gives you some measurements, IMO this one is about as good as the Logisys model: Amazon.com : Enzotech One Piece Forged Square Copper Northbridge heatsink CNB-S1 : Desktop Computer Heatsinks : Computers & Accessories

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information