Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Extreme6+ 32GB (4x8GB) 2133MHz, 2400MHz code 48, then popping sound, now no power-on

Default Re: Extreme6+ 32GB (4x8GB) 2133MHz, 2400MHz code 48, then popping sound, now no power-on

And should someone residing in the EU run across this information at a latter date please use the below EU specific link. It apparently matters for Serial Number and concerns to followup shipping specific EU forwarders/shippers.

EU Specific Link - EVGA | Articles | Power Supply Update Notice

Default Re: Extreme6+ 32GB (4x8GB) 2133MHz, 2400MHz code 48, then popping sound, now no power-on

I'm going to get my new Supernova as an Advanced RMA on Friday. I'm going to plug it into the wall outlet since the Rosewill uses MOVs and the PSU is a switching PSU. What surge protector or strip should I get, and what should I look for in it. I'd rather not melt more components in the ASRock board or PSU. References to threads or articles, like pages on Jonnyguru would be helpful.

Was heat was what caused the PSU to fail, or was it overvolting 32GB of DDR3 to 1.8v and the north bridge controller to 1.4v? If it was the heat, is it possible to cool the PSU in a cool box? Can it be submerged in non-conductive mineral oil (a Google image search suggests that yes, yes it can).

I very highly doubt your overvolting of 1.8v and 1.4v on the motherboard caused the PSU problem. The PSU would not have, well I better say assuming it wasn't an affected/"recalled' PSU as above EVGA notice, registered the minute voltage changes made at/on the motherboard. Not knowing just what is/was at fault in the concerned PSUs anyways, as it may(cause/fault) very well have partially been responsible. But a correctly assembled and adequate for the task PSU, no.

Was your PSU one of the affected PSU's in the notice I linked?

No, it wasn't on the recall list. I got the PSU replacement today. I went ahead with the PSU replacement because the Supernova failed to boot my other system which has completely different parts. I'll post an update once I've tried the replacement out.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Benedict View Post
    I went ahead with the PSU replacement because the Supernova failed to boot my other system which has completely different parts.
    Whoops. That's not good either.

Keep us posted please.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

I have booted the same ASRock motherboard using the Advance RMA'd Supernova; it's new. Now begins the long, slow process of cautiously trying different settings to get the DDR3 to the best that I'm going to be able to get out of them without damaging anything.

Right now, the Team Xtreem is set to 1333MHz. Temps are 57.5C for the CPU at 3.7GHz (4.0GHz is its rated speed), and 32C for the DDR3.

Update: The APU is holding steady at 62C, set to CPU OC Mode, Optimized CPU OC Setting 4000MHz; Overclock Mode Manual, 100MHz, Turbo Core disabled, APM enabled, x40 multiplier, CPU internal offset voltage control, 1.35V, x9.0 CPU NB 1800MHz, CPU NB/GFX 1.275V, DRAM 1.65V/Auto, SB 1.1V.

Update 2: Got the DDR3 up to 1866MHz, but as before, can't get it higher than that. I'm going to start off by loosening the timings to 11 tCWL, 11-13-13-31.

Update 3: I can't get the NB past 2000MHz. In trying to get to 2200MHz, I've raised the voltage as high as 1.28225V, but that resulted in Dr. Debug error code 3F. I figure that maybe the NB has to get to 2200MHz at least in order to support 2133MHz. Loosening the timings hasn't worked--just gets error code 2F, 36, or 92, no boot.

Dr. Debug displays A6. I'll start by figuring out what's causing this and how to fix it, if it is something that needs a fix. If no one has actually found something confirmed to work, I'll ignore the error.

I've updated the BIOS to v2.90. A6 still displays.

I haven't installed an OS at all, but do have drives connected via SATA. None of the drives are SCSI drives. I have three SATA drives: a blu-ray drive, an SSD, and a bulk drive. I have a 780 Ti Classified, video output in the UEFI set to auto, and the physical connection is over DP.
    Last edited by Joel Benedict; 03-16-2014 at 10:21 AM.

My latest settings were NB 2400MHz, 1.3V, super relaxed timings (13-13-15-15-37), 1.68V DRAM, 2400MHz DDR3, 3.7GHz CPU. Error code d5. I can't get any settings beyond 1866MHz to work. Maybe it's because I'm using 8GB sticks, and there are four of them. I'm still worried about hiking the voltage on anything due to already killing a power supply. Maybe my timings are off, and wouldn't work even at a lower strap. There are so many of them, and every profile I see others post are incomplete, and don't list all of the adjustable options that the Extreme6+ includes. I'm thinking the primary reason might be that the memory controller on the 7860K is internal, and doesn't support more than two sticks at 2133MHz. I've seen others hit 2400MHz with Haswell, and 2400MHz with 7850s when the sticks are 4GB with EX6+ boards. Looks like I'll be sticking with my components at DDR3-1866MHz until AMD releases a new socket format, or a new APU with higher bandwidth speeds and capacity. :(

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    If and when it comes alive after plugging it into a wall outlet go into the BIOS and bump your CPU/NB up +0.05v. That gives the IMC some added voltage to cope/deal with your four sticks of 2400 RAM.
    As I said in an earlier post, bump the CPU/NB, which is also responsible for the integrated memory controller, up +0.05v and try again. You're right on with thinking four 8GB sticks place a strain on the memory controller but it's commonplace to try pushing that added +0.05v into it with any four sticks at the controllers rated 2133. Luck of the draw as to just where the added voltage will take you, dependent of the quality of the silicon the CPU(and IMC) are made of.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Oh. Also, if you're setting these four sticks timings using the XMP Profiles in the BIOS, you may see better results if you take them off XMP and instead set only the four main timings while leaving the others at their defaults. Well, that a good starting place anyways. You can always, assuming the +0.05v bump take you places, change them from there. Remember to clear the BIOS in between/after switching so that no remnants of past settings stay set. Lets the BIOS see them "fresh' like between changes.

And be sure while using four sticks to choose a CR/Command Rate of 2T. That setting is on the same page as the manual memory timings get entered. This is important, whether you look in/at the XMP Profiles the BIOS displays or by you setting them manually.

I already did raise the voltage on the NB. The default is 1.275V. I raised it .025V to 1.3V, with the NB at 2000MHz, up from the default 1800MHz. How much is too much? I'm really not feeling up to RMA'ing the PSU again.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information