Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Extreme6+ 32GB (4x8GB) 2133MHz, 2400MHz code 48, then popping sound, now no power-on

Default Re: Extreme6+ 32GB (4x8GB) 2133MHz, 2400MHz code 48, then popping sound, now no power-on

I understand your being gun shy about PSU's after this last RMA. And I don't think there's anything I can say that will assuage that felling you have with that uneasy feeling of always looking over your shoulder when making changes.

I will say a properly built and up to the job PSU, which what you have there I consider meeting both, will not melt down for doing these things. Forums threads, posts, screenshots, and even suicide runs by OC'ers going back years will attest to that. Their PSUs are the least attributable fatality while OC'ing. With CPU's, memory, and even the occasional but rare motherboard accounting for the vast majority. Some have even claimed hitting a wall while stressing voltages, falling sort due to their PSUs lacking that last push to triumphant success. I guess what I'm saying is, excluding your last experience, that they're heartier and more robust than you're giving them(it!) credit for.

I see you're changing the NB freqs. And mem v's too unless that 1.68v mem is what's displayed while 1.65v is set in BIOS. Are you reading/following a guide somewhere?

"How much is too much?" That's the million dollar question. And one not easily answered I'm afraid. Heat, however generated, is your enemy. Air flow and proper/adequate cooling are your partners. With a healthy dose of common sense throw in for good measure and balance. And of course, wallet and Wife permitting. Out of order there. Wife first. And only then followed by wallet.

Default Re: Extreme6+ 32GB (4x8GB) 2133MHz, 2400MHz code 48, then popping sound, now no power-on

I see you're changing the NB freqs. And mem v's too unless that 1.68v mem is what's displayed while 1.65v is set in BIOS. Are you reading/following a guide somewhere?
    That's correct, I'm changing NB frequencies (which I've seen others say that 2000MHz at least was needed to get their RAM speeds up to 2133MHz), NB voltages (raising the voltage on the NB wasn't necessary to get it to 2000MHz, but the screen did flicker once and only once when at its default 1.275v, and nothing bad has happened with it set to 1.3V). I'm also changing DDR3 voltages, and have raised it as high as I think 1.7V now without blowing anything up.

No, I'm not following a guide. I haven't found a single resource with my identical system specs, or even a single other user with 4x8GB of DDR3-2400, an ASRock board, and a 7000-series AMD APU. I've been using threads as a reference that have one or two of those parameters. Links would be welcome.
    ----
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1460028/a...lock-guide/440
    I used the same sticks in a Gigabyte FM2 (not FM2+) system, instead of an ASRock system, with a 6800K instead of a 7850K, and was able to get 2133MHz 11-11-11-29 with about 1.6V.
    The ASRock board is not flexible when it comes to adjusting certain timings: Write Recovery Time (tWR) has a maximum setting of 16, whereas the 2400 XMP profile specifies 18. It allows Refresh Cycle Time (tRFC) only to be set in pre-defined increments (e.g. 300 ns and 350 ns), instead of what the XMP profile specifies at 315 ns.
    With the ASRock, I was only able to get it to boot into 2400 when it had two sticks present. The EX6+ doesn't include a setting for 2600MHz or higher.
    Update:
    Here are my settings with two sticks of 2400MHz 8GB Team Xtreem on an Extreme6+ with a 7850K, stock heatsink, and a XL R2 case (I left the side cover off for testing since I wanted to be able to see the error codes). Keep in mind that none of this is under load--it's idle in the UEFI, without an OS installed. It more accurately represents the maximum the parts can achieve with stock settings. I haven't gotten to OC'ing my GPU, so that's going to affect thermals too.
    CPU OC Mode
    4400MHz
    Auto
    Auto
    Disabled
    Disabled
    Manual
    44 (I've read reviews where raising the multiplier stopped at 44 due to failure at 45, and I've seen others get stable systems at 46, so I'll leave the maximum at 45 and wait to see how it fairs in testing. It's possible that the reason they couldn't get it higher was due to trying to use the iGP. I still haven't started to OC the discrete GPU I have, so I'm going to leave it at 45 so I'll have some room to raise the voltage and speed of the PCIe section. Update 2: Returned after leaving the system at the UEFI to find it locked up with Dr. Debug error code 0d, so I lowered it to 44.)
    Internal
    1.45V
    0V
    x10
    1.2875V (got a screen flicker on transition into the UEFI at 1.275V, and after another 0d, this was one of the settings I brought back up.)
    Auto
    Auto
    XMP 1.3 Profile 1
    DDR3-2400
    1.66V (I don't see any reason to go lower. That's its factory rating--if it dies, it won't be because of the voltage. Update 3: after I came back to a 0d, this was one of the settings I put back to its higher setting for stability.)
    8 (got a screen flicker when lower than 8) 10 (3b'd at 9) 12 (3b'd at 11) 10 (4F'd at 9) 23 (when set lower with RAS# Cycle Time, 3b'd) 2T (34'd I think at 1T) 33 (when set lower than 32 with RAS# Active Time, 3b'd; Update 3: raised it to 33 after it 0d'd) 8 (06'd at 6) 300ns (The Extreme6+ doesn't allow settings other than the pre-defined increments) 4 (Again, ASrock limitation; it cannot be set lower than 4) 5 (3b'd at 4) 5 (the Extreme6+ doesn't allow settings lower than 4; Update 3: this is one of the settings I raised back up after a 0d screen lock) 18 (when set to 16, froze in the UEFI with Dr. Debug error code "0C")
    Last edited by Joel Benedict; 03-17-2014 at 12:00 PM.

Well, don't rely too heavily on someone else identical system specs as there are too many variables within the involved components that you could attempt for a year to match their "attainment" and might not be able to. Then you may read and follow one that might be easily surpassed there. Yet both will not be what your components are capable of.

NB freq's. Are you raising or lowering the multi while doing so? I'm gonna guess not as I haven't yet seen you post of any attainable OC your CPU is stable at.

The highest stable frequency I've seen the CPU at is 4.4GHz. When I'm adjusting the NB, I've found it stable at 1.3V at 2GHz. I haven't tried higher voltage setting at 2GHz because it's stable; if I could find mention of anyone else getting a 7850K NB to 2.2GHz, I'd try their voltage settings. If anyone has gotten a higher voltage at 2GHz than 1.3V, I'll try that voltage at 2GHz and then at 2.2GHz. I'll leave the risks of overvolting the NB to others for now.
    EDIT: I have seen someone with no more experience than my own experience increase the NB voltage as high as 1.32V.
    Last edited by Joel Benedict; 03-22-2014 at 12:23 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information