Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: [Help] B85 Killer and sata 3

Default [Help - FIXED] B85 Killer and sata 3

Problem: Can't get my Agility 3 running in 6G mode (sata 3)

I'm sure and checked / infos:
    -SSD firmware 2.25 (latest and aparently there with no compatibility issues)
    -It's connected to a sata 3 (red) port (tried all of them)
    -Its connected using a sata 3 cable - i have 3 cables saying sata 3 /6G cable
    -It's the only disk connected
    -Bios is set to AHCI (it's default)
    -On the disk settings i have the option set to "solid state drive" (comes Hard disk as default, but none of these seem to work)

Story:
    It's a new build, all the components xcept my graphics card are new. It's far from my first build so i checked all the AHCI and stuff before installing windows. After installing windows i installed Intel inf package (wich has an ahci driver) and rebooted. The SSD drive was set to 3Gbps. After that i installed intel Rapid storage, wich installs a different AHCI driver, and rebooted. The drive was still set to 3GBPS transfer rate. Tried Atto to benchmark the disk, thinking it could be a visual bug, but it's really opperating at 3Gbps.
    I also tried loading BIOS (v1.10) defaults and tried the v1.10a beta Bios (only available bios for this motherboard).
    I have been researching a bit and found (including in the motherboard manual) that some BIOS have 3 modes for disks: IDE, AHCI and Raid. My motherboard only shows IDE and AHCI.

To summ this up:
    Tried drivers, bios, cables. Only used Windows 7 x64 (usb installation)

At this point, i need help as i don't know what i am missing. Would really appreciate it! What am i missing or where did i f*** up?

*offtopic wile being ontopic
    This motherboard is really good and i highly recommend it to whoever is on a budget to build a pc. Good price, good performance and a really good pack of features.
    Last edited by Fábio Teles; 02-28-2014 at 05:28 AM. Reason: FIXED

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: [Help] B85 Killer and sata 3

What are you checking that shows the transfer rate of your Agility 3 as 3Gb/s?

If you installed the IRST driver, you should have the IRST Windows UI program listed in Control Panel. Run that to check the SATA transfer rate of the SSD.

The red SATA ports are the correct ones for SATA 6Gb/s, and AHCI or IDE mode should not make a difference between SATA II and SATA III.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    What are you checking that shows the transfer rate of your Agility 3 as 3Gb/s?

If you installed the IRST driver, you should have the IRST Windows UI program listed in Control Panel. Run that to check the SATA transfer rate of the SSD.

The red SATA ports are the correct ones for SATA 6Gb/s, and AHCI or IDE mode should not make a difference between SATA II and SATA III.
    Thanks for the answer.

Forgot to mention the software i used to check this:
    -When IRST is Installed i get that info from there. Also, Atto and CrystalDiskMark benchmarks confirm it
    -When using the driver from the intel inf package aida64, with the benchmarks giving me the same results as with IRST.

Benchs on Atto give me a max of 270Mbps for read/write. CDM a little less.

Edit: FStream utility also gives me this info on the "system browser"
    Last edited by Fábio Teles; 02-27-2014 at 11:43 PM.

Thanks in advance to you all.

After digging into this i found the problem/fix.

Using OCZ Bootable Pc Tools i made a bootable USB and booted to the tools. There is an option to force the ssd to use either 3G link or 6G link. Even though 6G its the transfer rate for defaul i reforced that setting and not my SSD is working properly.

Cheers

Thread Information