Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: cant overclock cpu

Default cant overclock cpu

Asrock x58 supercomputer
    8gb patriot 2400mhz ddr3
    I7 950

when I use the asrock ez oc in the bios system wont boot. Tried to enter settings manually but seems when I adjust the bclk the system crashes? Cant adjust bclk. Trying to get to at least 3.8 but 4ghz would be nice

Samsung ssd
    Wd sata hd
    Evga gtx 760 sli
    Thermaltake smart 750
    Last edited by pdasterly; 03-01-2014 at 01:18 AM.

Default Re: cant overclock cpu

Do you think cpu is damaged?

parsec is offline Senior Member

I doubt the CPU is damaged.

Don't forget that changing the FSB/BCLK also affects the memory speed. 2400 is pretty high for an X58 board, which might need more voltage to the memory controller, can't recall what setting that is on those boards. Did you check the memory speed when using the auto OC setting?

First I would set the memory speed way down to 1600 or even 1333. Memory issues on X58 boards are very common, like the "missing" memory problem, all of the installed memory not being recognized. Memory compatibility is also essential.

Once the memory is set to a lower speed, then start to raise the BCLK/FSB speed. Can you change the CPU core multiplier on that board? Also check the PCI-E buss speed, which may increase with BCLK/FSB speed, that can cause crashes with the video card.

Try using Auto CPU voltage but monitor is closely and the CPU temperature. You must have the eight pin CPU power cable from the PSU connected to the board, otherwise not enough power for the CPU. Be VERY sure NOT to use PCI-E cables for the CPU power, the + and - wires are opposite of the CPU power cable, and only three provide power on the PCI-E cable.

loaded bios defaults, loaded performance ahci values and loaded oc 3.6 settings, seems to be working fine. Didnt do anything different that I havent done before, what do you think was the issue.
    cpu got hotter than I would like 70c so i went out a bought a water cooler, corsair H90

parsec is offline Senior Member

Don't know, must have been a BIOS setting you did that clashed with the auto OC settings. Or something was just goofy in the BIOS that the clear fixed up.

Those CPUs will get hot when you OC with the stock cooler, that's normal, you must have a better cooler, that goes for any CPU.

Thread Information