Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overclocking with the AsRock 990FX Killer

Doner is offline Junior Member

Default Overclocking with the AsRock 990FX Killer

Let me start by saying, if there's already a thread on Overclocking with the Fatal1ty 990FX board please let me know. I have found several threads on the AM3 version but not the AM3+ version due to its relative newness.

My specs are up to date (up above) and here is where I am with Overclocking so far:

4.6 GHz

CPU Freq Multi: 21.5
    CPU Freq: 214
    HT Bus: 2568
    NB speed: 2354

CPU Volts: 1.4
    CPU/NB volts: 1.375
    NB Volt: 1.22
    HT volts: 1.22
    DRAM volt: 1.525

My core temp is 47C but my socket temps jump to 78C. After its reached around this temp I notice the core volts drop and the temps drop. Its very quick and the volts and temps ramp back up then back down, then up and down and repeat.

I have read everywhere to ignore socket temp and just worry about core temp but am wondering if there is some upper bound for socket temp? As there seems to be more room on core temp I wanted to see if I could hit 4.7, but if I'm already being throttled I'm wondering other options.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Doner; 03-01-2014 at 10:47 PM.

Default Re: Overclocking with the AsRock 990FX Killer

Quote Originally Posted by Doner View Post
    My core temp is 47C but my socket temps jump to 78C. After its reached around this temp I notice the core volts drop and the temps drop. Its very quick and the volts and temps ramp back up then back down, then up and down and repeat.
    Temporarily position a fan blowing across/over your VRM/Mosfet section and see if the throttling stops. My guess is it does.

In a stock heatsink/fan config there's air blowing around the socket. Your H100i pump doesn't circulate any air in that area.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    Temporarily position a fan blowing across/over your VRM/Mosfet section and see if the throttling stops. My guess is it does.

In a stock heatsink/fan config there's air blowing around the socket. Your H100i pump doesn't circulate any air in that area.

Overclocking with the AsRock 990FX Killer-2014-01-28-14-53-30-jpg

Ok so which are the VRM/Mosfet? The Black heatsink that says "Killer" or "990FX"? I would guess the 990FX since its sitting behind the GFX card and might get starved of air.

Edit: There is a door fan that blows over the 990FX heat sink. How else do I get a fan over them?
    Last edited by Doner; 03-01-2014 at 11:52 PM.

The one marked Killer is the VRM/Mosfets. Failing that though it wouldn't hurt to place one over the other also.

How else? Jury rig to test, but I use Antec Spot Cools permanent like to cool 'em..
    Last edited by - wardog -; 03-02-2014 at 12:14 AM.

BTW, nice wiring. Fractal cases are easy to work.

The one marked Killer is the VRM/Mosfets. Failing that though it wouldn't hurt to place one over the other also.

How else? Jury rig to test, but I use Antec Spot Cools permanent like to cool 'em..
    Thanks! I'll give it a try but do you really think it will help that much? Would replacing the Heatsinks help?

I just looked up the Spot cools and they look pretty cool ( pun intended trying to match your Jury rig ). I'm going to mess with the OC settings and see if I can get some better results.

And thanks for the wiring compliment. I am rather proud! Though I only give the case a small percentage of the credit ;)

Help that much? Absolutely it can, especially knowing it's throttling. Necessity.

Guessing that one labeled Killer is Killer hot. Well, before you put a fan on it anyways.

If safely possible, lay 'er down on 'er side and gently position a fan in down there. That'll prove or disprove.
    Last edited by - wardog -; 03-02-2014 at 12:32 AM. Reason: confusion set in there for a minute

Quote Originally Posted by Doner View Post
    Though I only give the case a small percentage of the credit ;)
    Yea, it'd be nice, huh, if only MB manufacturers put the 8pin ATX12V connector in a place that doesn't req stretching that cable.

Yea, it'd be nice, huh, if only MB manufacturers put the 8pin ATX12V connector in a place that doesn't req stretching that cable.
    You have no idea the pain that connector is (well maybe you do). It blocks any radiator larger than 240mm from being mounted in the top of my case. It also blocks any hopes of a push/pull config as does the Memory sticks.

I have a similar problem with the killer. I have a FX-8320 I'd like to keep 4.6 HGZ. My pc and like our friend with the only difference that my cabinet and corsair 600t and my gpu and 7950. I'm finding it strange that two factors. 1 bios has no LLC or ACC. 2 how can the board supports a cpu 200w is not secure one in oc to 180w or less? sorry my ingles :(

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information