Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Installing antec big boy 200 as a side fan

pontypool is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Installing antec big boy 200 as a side fan

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Thanks for your kind words, that's a great compliment!

Glad to hear the fan is behaving as it is for you. I was just uncertain what it would do given the specs, which really weren't very specific, and rarely are. Fans can be unpredictable, and add to that the fan speed control of the board, and it is very difficult to predict what the result will be.

I've never used your specific case, but I have a CM Storm Sniper that uses the 200mm CM fans, including the ability to add one to one side of the case. Given your description, I figured the mounting of the side fan would likely be similar if not exactly the same as my CM case, which turned out to be true.

I'm a bit surprised the rubber fan mounting "screws" fit as well as they did, but it obviously worked. Are you using the same threaded holes in the case side that the normal screws would connect to? You could fold the protruding nipple (yikes!) back upon itself and stick it into the hole (boy am I lost...) on the fan frame to hide it from view.

IMO, the loss of the cables for your Seasonic PSU (the kind I use) is a major disaster compared to the loss of those screws, but when you need a few specific screws, and nothing else will work, they become very valuable.
    The rubber screws are designed specifically for closed type fans' which is when you get a 'tunnel' going from one screw hole to the other, the open ribbed types dont have this tunnel just holes with nothing between. The screws are the right length so you can wiggle them through until you see the end sticking out just slightly, then you pull /stretch until a niche secures it through the second hole.. so there's no way to not have the protruding nipple, unless you just want to cut it off, but that means it will be impossible to remove the screw as you wont be able to ever re-attach it. I can't really explain it any better than that, but they look like this Lamptron Closed Corner Fan Rubber Fan Mounts/Screws (4pcs) | eBay

Anyway asrock support finally answered my email today and according to them the fan should be connected to the psu directly. Which you of course suspected because of the voltage? do you think that could cause any harm to the motherboard? well anyway, i'm going to order the spare seasonic cables just in case.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Installing antec big boy 200 as a side fan

ASRock is just repeating the way that fan is designed, with the factory connections. People adapt fans for use with various headers all the time, and there is really only one thing that can be an issue, which I'll explain.

The voltage that PC fans use is a standard, 12V is the normal maximum, but many fans can work fine with a bit more, your fan is rated up to 13.2V. Recall that I was concerned about the lowest voltage that the fan needed to start spinning, the spec seemed to show 10.8V, but given your experience it seems to indicate that 10.8V is the minimum voltage the fan needs to operate normally, and would still spin with its switch on the low setting. That fan will spin at a voltage below 10.8V.

Three pin fans are controlled by lowering the voltage the fan gets, which is what the switch does to change the fan's speed, and is how mother boards and fan controllers change the fan's speed. A mother board fan header will provide 12V, so voltage was not the problem, just what the voltage the fan header would provide when it is reduced from 12V. I was worried that your fan needed 10.8V to spin minimally, and the board's fan speed control will provide less than that a low setting. (BTW, all that is not the explanation... )

Voltage is one thing, but power is another, measured in Watts. For DC voltages (used by PC fans) the power used is simply calculated by: Voltage X Current = Power, with Current measured in Amperes (A), and power in Watts (W).

PC fans also have a Current rating, which is normally given as the maximum current used by the fan. Antec provides a more detailed current spec, one for each fan speed: 3 Speed Fan- Current: 0.08A, 0.17A, 0.3A. The maximum of 0.3A is not very high relative to PC fans, some use/need more current than that at full speed.

Next, guess what else has a maximum power rating? The fan headers on a mother board. No true standard exists for that power, but most current mother boards have a maximum current rating of 1.0A on all fan headers. Which means that is a safe rating, but it's not good to go past that much since it might damage the board.

Recently, I read that ASRock said the maximum current rating for the CPU Fan headers is 1.0A, but the Chassis Fan headers are only 0.6A. That is a bit low IMO compared to earlier boards, but what can you do? Assuming that is true, your fan at 0.3A max will be fine on any fan header on your board. Every fan test/review I've seen showed that fan manufactures are honest about the current rating of their fans, and even spec them on the high side, meaning they actually use less current. I have never seen a forum post that claimed a fan ruined a mother board because it drew to much power, even though there are a few very high speed fans that use well over 1.0A at full speed.

So you should be fine using that fan on a mother board fan header, but I could have said that 300 words ago...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information