Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RAID 0 on Asrock Extreme 4 Z87 recovery ?

Default Re: RAID 0 on Asrock Extreme 4 Z87 recovery ?

OK- so some more updates. I still have my thread going on AVS : Mfusick's How to build an affordable 30TB Flexraid media server: Information Requested.! - Page 104

I broke down the array in the BIOS. They drives show as 3TB drives. But in windows they still show up as only 746GB each.

WTF is going on with that? I need to fix that.

I tried this program called "file scavenger" which was recommended on overclockers. It's scanning my three drives now and I can see it is recovering data. It's working !

but I think it's only scanning the first 746GB on each drive. What is up with that ? How can I get my drives to show up as full sized again?

When I booted into windows - windows asked me to initialize them as either MBR or GPT. I chose GPT. What that wrong ?

OK, I just last week ran into seeing that same 746.39GB on the same drive, Toshiba Bulk DT01ACA3(00)/Retail PH3300U-1I72. Yes, I have a few of those drives myself. Quite a few actually. No data lost as I was only adding a new drive to the box and it was with one I was partitioning in an external enclosure for it's backups that I saw that 746.39GB. Unrelated, somewhat, to your situation. Mine, Disk Management and Acronis Disk Director both froze while accessing but it turned out here to be a esata controller issue Damn Marvell, but once I added a Sil3132 add-in card things progressed as expected. This all after swapping MB's around. Still not sure if it was a driver issue or not.

Good luck with that. I'm thinking flashing the BIOS from within Windows while the machine and drives were spinning while it(flashing) reset your controllers and also any other drive related changes you made in the motherboards BIOS, not the RAID BIOS.

Maybe parsec has an idea on this but I don't see any way around it.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

parsec is offline Senior Member

First, please STOP doing semi-random things like changing from RAID to AHCI mode and back again, hoping it will do something. Sorry but that just tends to make things worse.

The SATA port number or order the disks are connected to does not matter for Intel RAID, so that is not the problem.

If I follow your sequence of events, I noticed this a few posts back:

Quote Originally Posted by mfusick View Post
    Back to my problem,

I have a thread here that has more details and some more information:

Mfusick's How to build an affordable 30TB Flexraid media server: Information Requested.! - Page 101

It's not my server though, this is my desktop that has the issue.

Here is a recap:

I updated the BIOS to the newest version from Asrock webpage using USB stick and easy bios flash process. It went great. Same as my other 5 Asrock mobos (Z87/Z77/Z68). I also seemed to have bricked my OCZ vector SSD, it's gone from bios. I think it's unrelated to my mobo and my problem. So no big deal, I had a 256GB OCZ Vertex450 so I clean installed windows to that and booted up. My RAID drive was gone (RAID 0 with 3 Toshiba 3TB drives).

It seems flashing my BIOS probably broke down my raid array or something.

I switched back and forth from ACHI to RAID mode but no luck.

I originally installed in ACHI mode to the new SSD (the replacement) and when I switch to RAID mode I get BSOD. I assumed it was an ACHI thing.

So I decided to try installing in RAID mode. I grabbed two VERTEX 120GB's and created a RAID0 array of 240GB and installed windows into that. That is my current OS (but I could hooked back up the 256GB ACHI install). In RAID mode still nothing.

I deleted the RAID array since it only showed 1 member disk and tried recreating it exactly like it was. I never removed the SATA cables from the hard drives so I am pretty confident everything is on the same port. I did remove the SATA power from the hard drives when I was installing windows.

Now I see this:

Attachment 6653

But when I go into windows I see this: (See next post)
    So you, "I deleted the RAID array since it only showed 1 member disk and tried recreating it exactly like it was", which you did via the Intel RAID utility available during POST, as your screen shots show.

Bad news, deleting the RAID 0 array most likely just destroyed all your data. Actually, the data is still there (given what you've said in your posts so far, IF that is everything you did), in RAID 0 format on the three HDDs, but the information used to assemble the data spread across the three HDDs into files that the Windows file system can understand was removed when you deleted the RAID array in the RAID utility.

Working my way along in this thread, I see this:

Quote Originally Posted by mfusick View Post
    OK- so some more updates. I still have my thread going on AVS : Mfusick's How to build an affordable 30TB Flexraid media server: Information Requested.! - Page 104

I broke down the array in the BIOS. They drives show as 3TB drives. But in windows they still show up as only 746GB each.

WTF is going on with that? I need to fix that.

I tried this program called "file scavenger" which was recommended on overclockers. It's scanning my three drives now and I can see it is recovering data. It's working !

but I think it's only scanning the first 746GB on each drive. What is up with that ? How can I get my drives to show up as full sized again?

When I booted into windows - windows asked me to initialize them as either MBR or GPT. I chose GPT. What that wrong ?
    I hope File Scavenger works for you, it is your only hope. So you created and deleted a RAID 0 array on those disks again... I'm sorry but you keep doing things that hurt you, not help. When you created the RAID 0 array this second time, did you see a message about saving the data on the member disks? That might not appear in the basic Intel RAID utility, have you ever used the Windows Intel Rapid Storage Technology UI that is installed as part of the Windows IRST driver? That's a much easier and fuller interface for creating and managing RAID volumes. If you had used that program immediately after your issue appeared, you might not be in your current situation.

So you are using 3TB HDDs, but you are not aware of the standard MBR format limitation when using drives larger than 2.2TB? That is, they must use a GPT format file table to use the full capacity of each drive, AND certainly the capacity of a 9TB RAID 0 volume. You've mentioned MBR and GPT a couple times, so you must be somewhat aware of that, and used it in the past.

Why is File Scavenger only scanning 746MB? Since the disks are not formatted (DON'T format them now please!!) just Initialized (given what you said) there is no file address table to work with, so the program likely defaults to MBR file address limits, which are also wrong due to the actual size of the disk being larger than an MBR file table can address (notice that the MBR limit of 2.2 TB + ~746MB = ~3TB, the size of your HDDs. Why it then uses what should be the undefined space beyond 2.2TB as the capacity of the drive is a good question, and an interesting bug, but that is what always happens with MBR addressing on a HDD beyond MBR limits.)

My only suggestion that may do nothing is try the Windows IRST UI program (listed in Control Panel if installed), and see what can be done, if anything. Do NOT expect a fix using it, unless by a miracle it can, but after two RAID 0 creates and deletes on those drives, I doubt it.

I truly hope File Scavenger works for you. Do you have the correct version for recovering from RAID arrays? I'm not sure if the trial version contains that option, check here: File recovery and hard drive data recovery software

Meh, he's back home on AVS now. Happy that he got it "recovered".

If I followed and read the linked thread right his flipping between RAID and AHCI did indeed "break' the array. But not having any Intel RAID experience myself I fail to see why the "Fix' linked offsite there, being itself updating from RST 10.0 to 10.1 would do much.

Only unless upon reinstallation of the 10.1 RST did it correct the geometry of the volume and re-write it to the disks. Which I imagine, in hindsight, the reinstallation of his older 10.0 would have done also.

mfusick, glad to see it working w/o data loss. And I saw that M1015 auction at $50ea too but took a pass as I already enjoy having 4 of 'em. Two in passthrough IT mode and two yet in RAID. $50 shipped WAS a tempting price for a 5th one though.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Frankly, I don't believe that. Plus given the multiple RAID volume deletions in the IRST utility, it makes no sense, if that happened all data would be gone.

Also, booting in AHCI mode should do nothing to ruin the RAID metadata, no reason at all for that to happen.

Also, the recovery was installing a different version of IRST?

What really happened was booting in AHCI mode apparently loaded a different AHCI driver, but that also does not make sense, since the IRST RAID driver is a perfectly good AHCI driver.

Let's assume the standard MS AHCI driver was installed when booting in AHCI mode. Which meant no RAID driver was installed. The "update" of the IRST driver was really an installation of the IRST driver. The different version is just an aside that had no significance. Still many things posted do not make any sense, particularly given the apparent outcome.

I had a feeling the confused chain of events posted was far from what really happened.

P.S. Tutelage???

Yea, like I said I'm not up on RAID. My idea of backups on both servers goes like, when I put in a new "storage' drive for my ISO's/FLAC's I also put a new drive in an Antec MX-1 external enclosure for backing up to. Every week or so I'll connect the MX-1 back up to that computer and wall for power and copy the new ISO's/FLAC's onto that external then disconnect everything for it's safe keeping. Sure, it's not off-site but it's as good as it gets here. The only exposed risk to my backups is while it's connected and backing up. Plus, it's expensive purchasing two drives for every one needed but so is my time in creating the files to store. There's absolutely now way now after all these years of doing so that I could ever imagine myself doing it differently. Or going back and recreating them all over again. Mine and Hers simply plug a USB stick into and they get backed up.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    P.S. Tutelage???
    Just having some fun there. Besides, it sounded better that "Under profJims wing" as that would imply him a bird of a different feather. Me too for that matter .... And, . well .. Him, maybe. ... But moi? . Uhhhh...

Oh have I got a product recommendation for you!

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    YOU said it, those have gotten old VERY quickly, and are a DeLuxe turnoff!

Certain websites like Tom's Hardware are no longer in my Bookmarks list due to their super annoying pop up nag ads. I hate having something so meaningless bother me and control my behavior, but I may not be able to put up with it. That is simply a reality.

I have a policy to ignore any ad like this, regardless of how attractive it might be, and I've never violated it.

And too, just to complicate matters, don't overlook that his fiasco seemingly all began only after(a direct result of?) his flashing to a newer BIOS on his Z87. Don't some Z87 BIOS up-flashes req certain thing be done/updated prior or immediately after, like sometimes driver updates?

IMO, for what little I know of RAID and IRST, either flashing in what that entail(s)(ed) and or reset, or it all went downhill on him at, or immediately after, what was done/not done here; "I originally installed in ACHI mode to the new SSD (the replacement) and when I switch to RAID mode I get BSOD. I assumed it was an ACHI thing.".

We'll probably never know as I'm sure the linearity of his info provided here has some "pot holes" that didn't get reported while he was sweating bullets there AND doing things with it in between his postings. I can just imagine .......

I found it odd that in his post #2 above Windows showed the array "proper' at 8383GB, albeit unrecognized, yet the pic of IRST showed a whole 'nuther story. RAID, yech. Don't get me wrong, in my eyes there are instances where, depending on what program I used and the read/write of RAID proved beneficial or even required, I might find myself throwing an array together. Say, a video editing workstation.

Just glad that for whatever reason or cause that he eventually got them straightened it out. Loosing data sux, big time. A lesson learned.

I'm thinking of adding the below to my Sig. You have room there too. Whatdya think?

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    I have a policy to ignore any ad like this, regardless of how attractive it might be, and I've never violated it.
    Copy the Violated feeling. I should get a big fuzzy neon hat, plaid jacket w/rayon slacks, and some bling for around my neck for as many times now as that sidebar has violated my monitor.

..... Now must scroll to make the Post Quick Reply button visible .. SIGH

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information