Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RAID 0 on Asrock Extreme 4 Z87 recovery ?

Default RAID 0 on Asrock Extreme 4 Z87 recovery ?

OK.. I might really have messed up. My desktop started acting strange, with very slow boot ups. Even the first Bios screen had like a 40 second delay. The PC in general was acting weird, and my RST Intel program kept warning me, but nothing seemed to be wrong.

Anyways, I decided to upgrade my OS to a new OS drive which has been on my list of things to do. First I updated my BIOS to the newest version thinking that the BIOS update would fix the boot up lag. It did not.

But now after re-install not only do I have slow boot up, but my RAID drive is gone :mad:

I was using fake raid on Z87 to RAID. Something is wrong. I have data on that drive I need to recover.

Windows wants me to format the drive. But I think that' a huge mistake.

Anyone know a good way to rebuild this array or save the data from these three drives? HELP!

That is my immediate problem. The second problem is figuring out why my mobo and system boot so slow. It boots slow with two different OS drives on different ports. I boots slow with the RAID not hooked up or hooked up. Something funny going on with my mobo I think.

Moderator Note (- wardog -): I replaced your 4 letter slang with "messed" in this post. I also removed that same 4 letter slang from the Title. Please refrain.
    Last edited by - wardog -; 03-12-2014 at 09:02 AM.

Default re: RAID 0 on Asrock Extreme 4 Z87 recovery ?

RAID 0 on Asrock Extreme 4 Z87 recovery ?-untitled-png

hmm.. pictures don't seem to want to work here ??

Default re: RAID 0 on Asrock Extreme 4 Z87 recovery ?

RAID 0 on Asrock Extreme 4 Z87 recovery ?-attachment-jpg

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: RAID 0 on Asrock Extreme 4 Z87 recovery ?

When you updated your BIOS, all settings were set back to default, including the SATA mode, whose default value is AHCI. You didn't mention resetting the SATA mode to RAID, so I can only assume that you didn't, given what your screenshots show.

IF you did not remove any of the drives, or format them in Windows (which may only remove your data, and not the RAID setup data on them), just set the SATA mode back to RAID in the BIOS, save and exit, reboot, and normally your RAID 0 array will be back.

When you said "fake RAID", I thought you meant Windows pseudo-RAID, not IRST RAID. Besides a RAID card that costs more than your board and CPU together, any software/hardware RAID like Intel's is hardly fake RAID, IMO.

"Fake RAID' is loose nomenclature for any array that is not connected to a dedicated hardware RAID controller/card.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    "Fake RAID' is loose nomenclature for any array that is not connected to a dedicated hardware RAID controller/card.
    Yeah, I suppose so, but considering some of the benchmarks I've seen for "RAID cards", that were inferior to those done with AMD and Intel RAID, I have a problem calling the latter "fake RAID".

P.S. Day three of sending you PMs that fail... OTOH, I might get that...

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Yeah, I suppose so, but considering some of the benchmarks I've seen for "RAID cards", that were inferior to those done with AMD and Intel RAID, I have a problem calling the latter "fake RAID".
    Meh, 0 and 1 are simple/basic arrays. Get above those somewhat and dedicated controllers pay for themselves. Shine actually.

Ha! Looks like what you're getting is another 4-8ins of white stuff. Lucky guy that you are.

re: OTOH, I might get that - Lost me there. Yesterday I cleaned house. Why is it seemingly only you that has probs sending? Check yor Inbox here in amin or so.

I agree with you. I recently got into an argument on AVS with those guys about this, but in the end they insisted it was "fake" so I kinda just gave up.

What should I call RAID0 on a Z87 motherboard ?

Back to my problem,

I have a thread here that has more details and some more information:

Mfusick's How to build an affordable 30TB Flexraid media server: Information Requested.! - Page 101

It's not my server though, this is my desktop that has the issue.

Here is a recap:

I updated the BIOS to the newest version from Asrock webpage using USB stick and easy bios flash process. It went great. Same as my other 5 Asrock mobos (Z87/Z77/Z68). I also seemed to have bricked my OCZ vector SSD, it's gone from bios. I think it's unrelated to my mobo and my problem. So no big deal, I had a 256GB OCZ Vertex450 so I clean installed windows to that and booted up. My RAID drive was gone (RAID 0 with 3 Toshiba 3TB drives).

It seems flashing my BIOS probably broke down my raid array or something.

I switched back and forth from ACHI to RAID mode but no luck.

I originally installed in ACHI mode to the new SSD (the replacement) and when I switch to RAID mode I get BSOD. I assumed it was an ACHI thing.

So I decided to try installing in RAID mode. I grabbed two VERTEX 120GB's and created a RAID0 array of 240GB and installed windows into that. That is my current OS (but I could hooked back up the 256GB ACHI install). In RAID mode still nothing.

I deleted the RAID array since it only showed 1 member disk and tried recreating it exactly like it was. I never removed the SATA cables from the hard drives so I am pretty confident everything is on the same port. I did remove the SATA power from the hard drives when I was installing windows.

Now I see this:

RAID 0 on Asrock Extreme 4 Z87 recovery ?-photo-jpg

But when I go into windows I see this: (See next post)

RAID 0 on Asrock Extreme 4 Z87 recovery ?-2-png

Anyone have any ideas?

Would switching back and forth from MBR to GPT create this problem ? If that happened somehow? I never formatted or did anything to my hard drives so I am hoping I can recover the data from them.

Anyone have advice on how to recover? or is there software or process that would allow me to reconstruct to another drive.

I have a fair amount of PC hardware at my disposal, including storage to copy the recovered data over too. I made a huge mistake and I really need to recover my data. I almost never trust RAID0 arrays for such purposes, I have a Flexraid server I use for more secure storage but I just made a stupid mistake. I deleted the data from my server thinking I would just copy it back from my RAID0 scratch disk when I was done, but of coarse flashing my BIOS I did not realize would cause all this.

Thanks in advance for all the help and intelligent replies. I am super appreciative and sincerely thankful.

-Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information