Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: 990FX Killer & RevoDriveX2 PCIe SSD Performance in PCIe Slot 5

Default 990FX Killer & RevoDriveX2 PCIe SSD Performance in PCIe Slot 5

This is for the new ASRock 990FX Killer mobo.

I am wondering if there is a way to improve the performance of the PCIe Slot 5 for use with a PCIe SSD. I have the RevoDriveX2 and my sequential write/read speeds are not very good. I know that some slots work better for these drives than others but with this mobo I have no other slots to put this SSD into. I have had this issue before in another mobo and just swapping slots did help there but in that mobo I had more slots to choose from so I know that the slot's performance is the issue here.

The reason I do not have any other slots that I can use is that I have two GPU's using the other two PCIe x16 slots. So that leaves me with the bottom PCIe slot which is PCIe Slot 5. The other two PCIe slots are x1 and the RevoDrive x2 is a PCIe x4 card so it will not fit in them.

Anyways, is their a way to improve the Slots Performance some how? Like some sort of BIOS setting or something I can do in the Windows 8.1 to make it preform better.
    Or is their a possibility for ASRock to do some sort of BIOS update or something to improve it?

I would really like for my RevoDriveX2 to work at the proper speeds. If not then I am not sure what to do with this drive.

Before anyone mentions this, I do know that this RevoDriveX2 SSD is not fully supported for Windows 8.1 but it does work with it as it worked just fine when using it on my other mobo before and it was using the very same OS. The only change is my new mobo. Plus like I said before I had this problem before and it was the slots performance that was the issue. That is why I am asking if there is a way to improve the performance of the slot somehow.

Any help would be appreciated.

On a side note: I do know that this mobo has the M.2 PCIe Slot but I currently do not have one of those SSD Drives and can not currently afford one. I do want one though. :)

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: 990FX Killer & RevoDriveX2 PCIe SSD Performance in PCIe Slot 5

The specs for you PCI-E slots of you new board is:

3 x PCI Express 2.0 x16 Slots (PCIE2/PCIE3 @ x16 mode; PCIE5 @ x4 mode)

So the PCIE5 slot is an x4 slot, matching the needs of your Revo.

A BIOS setting would be specific to your board, I don't own one so don't know. You can check if the speed of the slots in the BIOS is set to Auto, which might downshift to PCI-E 1.0 speed, so set the slots to PCI-E 2.0 speeds specifically.

Check a setting in your Windows Power Plan, Advanced settings. The PCI Express Link State Power Management option can be set to Off, that might help. But that option might have been set to Moderate Power Saving, the default, on your previous PC, but worth a try.

The Revo's driver, which is essential and only available from OCZ, is not Windows 8 compatible, as you said. But different boards, different SATA chipset, different SATA driver the Revo driver might work with, so who knows?

What board did you use previously? How different are the sequential speeds?

My previous mobo was a ASUS Sabertooth 990FX Gen 1.
    The PCI Express Link State Power Management is already set to Off.

The speeds I had before were more like 150 to 160 MByte/sec Seq Write & 460 to 470 MBytes/sec Seq Read. It fluctuated a bit give or take but it was mostly around those.
    the Speeds I had just now were like roughly around 32 MByte/sec Seq Write & 126 MByte/sec Seq Read.

The speeds are a bit different depending on which benchmark I use but it was down on every one I tried.

I will say that the speed is back to normal again in my latest test. It is still slower than what it is advertised and I credit that to Windows 8 but it is strange. Maybe you are on to something about it probably downshifting the speeds. I'll check the BIOS and see if I can change that setting if possible. thanks.

parsec is offline Senior Member

The sequential speeds with the new board are significantly slower, that is alarming.

Using AHCI mode on the new board? Same AMD SATA driver, or the Windows 8 SATA driver?

Definitely check the PCI-E link speed setting, and set to "gen 2" if it is on Auto.

When you start the PC, does the Revo display anything during POST? Some PCI-E cards will do that, and show how they are connected, such as PCI-E x4, or PCI-E x2.

You could try the Revo in an x16 slot, which I know is a lot of work but might reveal if that last PCI-E slot is really x4.

Thread Information