Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Z77 Extreme6 - Beeps before boot logo appears

Default Re: Z77 Extreme6 - Beeps before boot logo appears

I think I might have spoken too soon. Now I get random beeps; sometimes I get none following a few cold starts, sometimes i get 2 beeps on a few cold starts. Two beeps signifies a RAM IC problem (if I read correctly). If my memory checks out on my next memory test, and the IC refers to something on the motherboard that can't be replaced, I may have to replace the board. Random beeps 9 beeps (on most occasions, none on a few) before a BIOS re-flash, then random beeps to follow (luckily I don't get 5 beeps), leads me to believe my board somehow became unstable. I'm always inclined not to take any chances and replace the board, especially when my other components (RAM, CPU, hard drives, burners, etc.) don't exhibit any obvious problems at all.
    Last edited by CookyMonzta; 03-21-2014 at 03:20 AM.

Memory/RAM, also check your PSU by swapping it out if you have another there to test with. Or with a PSU Tester if available.

BIOS chips direct from ASRock are $15.00US+shipping and the info to contact concerning receiving one are on THIS page.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

My memory checks out. MemTest86+ found no errors. No beeps since early yesterday morning, but I'm still tempted to replace the board or at least the BIOS chip because of the instability my board has shown since this past weekend.

After a long break, I got 1 beep this time (Programmable interrupt controller problem). With the way my machine keeps alternating between beeps and no beeps, I'm definitely convinced that my motherboard has hit the skids, because I seriously doubt that several of my components (except maybe my RAM) could have come down with problems all at once.

What remains is a test with no graphics card and no RAM, as instructed by someone at ASRock, to determine if my motherboard or my RAM, or both, are at fault. Either way, I'm going to get a new board.

The test instructed by an ASRock representative didn't reveal anything useful to me. With no graphics card and no RAM, code 53 shows up on the LED; and as instructed, I put one RAM card in the A1 slot. The LED displayed A2.

When I reinstalled my GTX 570 and all the RAM cards, this time I got 5 beeps. I refuse to believe my RAM (which I tested with MemTest86+, with no errors) and my i7-2700K (which PASSED the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool Test) bought the farm as well, given that Win7 came up normally (following a System Restore). With all these beeps coming at random, again I believe my board just went unstable last weekend. I'm not in a mood to spend $600 to $700, when probably $160 for a new board will solve the problem.

The last thing to test is the power supply. I'm looking for a place that sells such a tester.
    Last edited by CookyMonzta; 03-22-2014 at 03:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    Memory/RAM, also check your PSU by swapping it out if you have another there to test with. Or with a PSU Tester if available.

BIOS chips direct from ASRock are $15.00US+shipping and the info to contact concerning receiving one are on THIS page.
    Long time for me to wait for my PSU tester from eBay. I finally got it. I'm currently having my motherboard replaced, and it's all going into a slightly bigger PC case (the last one was too cramped).

I have an LED power supply tester plugged into my Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800W (80 Plus Gold). With the 24-pin connector plugged in, the following units are lit on the right side of the tester:
    +3.3V, -12V, PG, +5V USB, +12V, +5V.

-5V does not light up. I thought maybe that was the problem, until I tried this PSU tester on my Antec EarthWatts 750W (80 Plus Bronze), which was still in the original box, never been used. The -5V LED does not light up on this one, either. Either that is normal, or my PSU tester is a lemon.

With the 24-pin connector from my Cooler Master PSU still plugged into the tester, I tried a SATA plug. The +12V, +3.3V and +5V LEDs are lit on the left side of the PSU tester.

Next up, the standard 4-pin plug. The +12V and +5V LEDs light up.

Next up, the CPU connectors. +12V lights up.

Next up, tge 6-pin connectors, used for the video card. +12V lights up.

Last but not least, the floppy connector. +12V and +5V light up.

When I checked the user's manuals for both of my power supplies, I noticed that there is not a single -5V component in any of the 24 pins of the motherboard power connector. I must assume that is the reason the -5V LED didn't light up; it is simply not used (does not exist).

All the other LEDs lit up, according to which connector I plugged into the PSU tester. I assume there are no problems at all with my Cooler Master PSU or my unused Antec PSU.

One other thing: I went to the eXtreme Power Supply Calculator site, and applied all the components that will go into my rebuilt machine. The recommended power for my setup came out to 559W.
    Last edited by CookyMonzta; 04-19-2014 at 12:25 PM.

Na. The -5v line hasn't been an ATX spec for some time now. Since ATX v1.3 IIRC.

Your 24pin connector most likely has an open hole where the -5v line was if you look.

Z77 Extreme6 - Beeps before boot logo appears-20-24-atx-pinout-jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information