Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Z77 Extreme6 - Beeps before boot logo appears

Default Z77 Extreme6 - Beeps before boot logo appears

I have the Z77 Extreme6 board with an i7-2700K installed. I started to notice that, when I turn on my machine, I hear my machine go...

"Beep...beep...beep...beep...beep...beep...beep... beep...beep..."

...9 short beeps, not very loud, before the ASRock boot logo appears and Windows 7 boots up.

Nothing seems to be out of the ordinary with my Win7 setup. So, could it be that one of my connections on my motherboard came loose and I just don't know it yet, or is some part of my hardware about to die?
    Last edited by CookyMonzta; 03-17-2014 at 11:05 AM.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Z77 Extreme6 - Beeps before boot logo appears

Exactly nine beeps does not seem to be an AMI BIOS beep code. Seven or more beeps is supposed to be a fatal error of some kind, with an add on card like graphics, etc.

But your PC boots fine, right? So who knows what that is.

I have an EVGA GeForce GTX 570 HD SC card plugged in. I haven't seen anything severe enough to indicate that my card is dying. When the ASRock boot logo comes up, and I hit F2 to bring up the UEFI, I get one more short beep before the UEFI appears. As usual, the LED reads A6, like it always does before I started hearing the beeps.
    Last edited by CookyMonzta; 03-18-2014 at 04:44 AM.

I got 12 beeps on one startup; yet, the LED still shows either A2 or A6 (both of which indicate normal function) when I boot to my UEFI.

Just a thought: Could the watch battery that runs the clock on my motherboard be on its way to running out of energy, and that is why I'm getting multiple beeps before the boot logo?

I found this on the Web:

9 short
    ROM checksum error
    The contents of the system BIOS ROM does not match the expected checksum value. The BIOS ROM is probably defective and should be replaced

Let's assume that the situation lies with my BIOS checksum. Next to the digital readout on the motherboard, there is a power button and a reset button, and next to the reset button there is a chip with a sticker on top, identifying the chip as a Z77 Extreme6 2.70 BIOS chip (before the UEFI upgrade to 2.80). In the user guide, it looks like it can be removed.

How shall I proceed in replacing the BIOS chip, if it is indeed the case that it must be replaced? Should I contact ASRock and order a new BIOS chip for this board (my warranty has run out)? I've already notified their Tech Support department of the problem with the 9 beeps, and I'm waiting for a response.

Quote Originally Posted by CookyMonzta View Post
    Just a thought: Could the watch battery that runs the clock on my motherboard be on its way to running out of energy, and that is why I'm getting multiple beeps before the boot logo?
    For what little CR2032 button cells sell for I'd say give that a shot. I won't harm anything. Record any BIOS changes you've made, swap batteries, and then clear the BIOS, and see if it resumes or not. Do the swap with it powered down and unplugged from the wall.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

I found this on the Web:

9 short
    ROM checksum error
    The contents of the system BIOS ROM does not match the expected checksum value. The BIOS ROM is probably defective and should be replaced

Let's assume that the situation lies with my BIOS checksum. Next to the digital readout on the motherboard, there is a power button and a reset button, and next to the reset button there is a chip with a sticker on top, identifying the chip as a Z77 Extreme6 2.70 BIOS chip (before the UEFI upgrade to 2.80). In the user guide, it looks like it can be removed.

How shall I proceed in replacing the BIOS chip, if it is indeed the case that it must be replaced? Should I contact ASRock and order a new BIOS chip for this board (my warranty has run out)? I've already notified their Tech Support department of the problem with the 9 beeps, and I'm waiting for a response.
    Yes that is the BIOS CMOS chip. But I would try flashing the BIOS again before replacing the chip, it's free and might fix your problem.

But be sure to use the Instant Flash method, with the unzipped BIOS file on a USB flash drive, with it in one of the USB 2.0 ports on the board's I/O panel. The other flashing methods, particularly the Windows method, are prone to bad results. I only use Instant Flash and after many updates I have never had a problem or failure.

I changed my battery and tested the old one. It was slowly approaching the borderline between good and poor on my battery tester. With the new battery, I had a beep between the ASRock boot logo screen and my UEFI screen, but so far, no beeps since...

...After that, I flashed a fresh copy of the Z77 Extreme6 UEFI 2.80. No beeps so far...

...But just in case the beeps return, how much is a new BIOS chip for the Z77 Extreme6?

One other thing: When I went to replace my battery, I had to remove my GeForce GTX 570 card to reach the battery, and the PCIE x16 plastic sliding latch (on the end of the PCIE slot) that locks the card in place, broke. I don't suppose ASRock can send another (or more than one, for insurance), can they?
    Last edited by CookyMonzta; 03-20-2014 at 12:00 PM.

...But just in case the beeps return, how much is a new BIOS chip for the Z77 Extreme6?
    Never mind. I see a few of them at eBay for around $15, though I'm still curious as to how much ASRock would charge for one. Sometimes I like to get my components from a certified source.

Good, the problem seems to be simply the battery. If the problem cleared up immediately, it had to be the battery. As you probably know, it seems rather random when they fail. I've had new boards that needed a battery after a few months, other boards are years old with the original battery.

The single beep is the normal POST all is well signal. I forget exactly how much the CMOS BIOS chips are, in the range of $10 - $20 IIRC.

The latch on the PCI-E x16 slot I have no idea about, does it look like that piece could be replaced? As in pried off and another stretched a bit to get it in place?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information