Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Issues getting machine to sleep (and wake using power button when it does sleep)

Question Issues getting machine to sleep (and wake using power button when it does sleep)

Iím having an issue in trying to get my machine to sleep. Secondly, when it does actually sleep or hibernate for a while, trying to get it to wake up.

When I try to get it to go to sleep from the start/sleep menu, it goes to sleep and then almost immediately wakes back up without my touching anything to wake it. Iíve tried it various times and almost all the time it wakes back up.

If and when it does finally go to sleep (the rare times it actually works), after a few hours, I have to turn off and on my Uninterrupted Power Supply to get the power button on the tower to work. (Basically resetting the machine). This happened when I tried using hibernate also, but since then I disabled it and went back to hybrid sleep, would like to get one or the other to work properly and not have to keep shutting and restarting the UPS.

Details of my custom built machine is in my signature.

Below is the report fun under powercfg/energy. I do see that apparently some of my usb ports are causing trouble

Code:
    Power Efficiency Diagnostics Report

Computer Name CAMPER-PC-TOWER
    Scan Time 2014-03-13T01:57:12Z
    Scan Duration 60 seconds
    System Manufacturer To Be Filled By O.E.M.
    System Product Name To Be Filled By O.E.M.
    BIOS Date 10/15/2012
    BIOS Version P2.00
    OS Build 7601
    Platform Role PlatformRoleDesktop
    Plugged In true
    Process Count 111
    Thread Count 1637
    Report GUID {2f1814e7-83dd-4223-bf60-20cb51a7ec09}
    Analysis Results Errors System Availability Requests:System Required Request The device or driver has made a request to prevent the system from automatically entering sleep.
    Requesting Driver Instance HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0892&SUBSYS_18497892&REV_1003\4&245b6c7c&0&0001
    Requesting Driver Device Realtek High Definition Audio
    System Availability Requests:System Required Request The device or driver has made a request to prevent the system from automatically entering sleep.
    Driver Name \FileSystem\srvnet
    USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Suspend The USB device did not enter the Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented if a USB device does not enter the Suspend state when not in use.
    Device Name USB Root Hub
    Host Controller ID PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4397
    Host Controller Location PCI bus 0, device 19, function 0
    Device ID USB\VID_1002&PID_4397
    Port Path
    USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Suspend The USB device did not enter the Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented if a USB device does not enter the Suspend state when not in use.
    Device Name USB Root Hub
    Host Controller ID PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4396
    Host Controller Location PCI bus 0, device 18, function 2
    Device ID USB\VID_1002&PID_4396
    Port Path
    Device Name USB Root Hub
    Host Controller Location PCI bus 0, device 18, function 0
    Device ID USB\VID_1002&PID_4397
    Port Path
    Device Name USB Root Hub
    Host Controller Location PCI bus 0, device 19, function 2
    Device ID USB\VID_1002&PID_4396
    Port Path
    Device Name USB Composite Device
    Device ID USB\VID_046D&PID_C52F
    Port Path 1
    Device Name Logitech USB Camera (HD Webcam C525)
    Device ID USB\VID_046D&PID_0826
    Port Path 2,3
    Device Name Iomega USB Bus Powered Zip 250
    Device ID USB\VID_059B&PID_0032
    Port Path 3,3
    Device ID USB\VID_04A9&PID_10A9
    Port Path 2,4
    Device Name American Power Conversion USB UPS
    Host Controller Location PCI bus 0, device 19, function 0
    Device ID USB\VID_051D&PID_0002
    Port Path 2
    Device Name Generic USB Hub
    Device ID USB\VID_05E3&PID_0608
    Port Path 3
    Device Name HP LaserJet 1320 series (DOT4USB)
    Device ID USB\VID_03F0&PID_1D17
    Port Path 3,2,4
    Device Name CanoScan LiDE 700F
    Device ID USB\VID_04A9&PID_1907
    Port Path 3,1
    Device ID USB\VID_05E3&PID_0608
    Port Path 3,2
    Device ID USB\VID_050D&PID_0237
    Port Path 2
    Device Name USB Mass Storage Device
    Device ID USB\VID_1058&PID_1100
    Port Path 3,2,3
    Device ID USB\VID_045E&PID_00DB
    Port Path 5
    CPU Utilization:Processor utilization is high The average processor utilization during the trace was high. The system will consume less power when the average processor utilization is very low. Review processor utilization for individual processes to determine which applications and services contribute the most to total processor utilization.
    Average Utilization (%) 56.00
    Last edited by camper65; 03-18-2014 at 08:54 AM.
    Motherboard: ASRock 990FX Extreme4
    CPU AMD FX 6300 3.5Ghz
    16 GB memory
    Video: Sapphire HD 7770 (AMD Radeon HD 7770 Series)
    Corsair Power Supply 600 Watt
    4 total hard drives (1 500-GB dual boot and 3 Raid-5 Maxtor 1 TB drives)
    Case: Rosewill Challenger

Running Windows 7 and Windows XP

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Issues getting machine to sleep (and wake using power button when it does sleep)

What about these entries in the energy report:

System Availability Requests:System Required Request
    The device or driver has made a request to prevent the system from automatically entering sleep.
    Requesting Driver Instance HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0892&SUBSYS_18497892& REV_1003\4&245b6c7c&0&0001

The device or driver has made a request to prevent the system from automatically entering sleep.

It looks like the energy report is complaining about all of your USB ports. Check your Windows Power plan, it seems it does not have USB Selective Suspend enabled, in the Advanced options.

Is your 500GB boot drive a SSD?

Default Re: Issues getting machine to sleep (and wake using power button when it does sleep)

^^^ that, and ....

As most UPSs now are monitored via USB, is any software you might have installed/be using to monitor your UPS and or shut down your computer when UPS power is low been updated? Or freshly installed the latest current revision installed?
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

And on looking through your report I have to ask, Do you or are you using a powered USB hub there. Also consider the/any USB ports(hub) on the monitor while thinking of an answer.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    What about these entries in the energy report:

Requesting Driver Instance HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0892&SUBSYS_18497892& REV_1003\4&245b6c7c&0&0001

It looks like the energy report is complaining about all of your USB ports. Check your Windows Power plan, it seems it does not have USB Selective Suspend enabled, in the Advanced options.

Is your 500GB boot drive a SSD?
    The USB Selective Suspend was enabled and no, it's a regular SATA drive. I'm using many of the ports on the back and two powered hubs for connections for external pieces (printers, scanner, usb thumb drives, etc.) Now what of my built-in sound system would cause it to not let it get to sleep?

As most UPSs now are monitored via USB, is any software you might have installed/be using to monitor your UPS and or shut down your computer when UPS power is low been updated? Or freshly installed the latest current revision installed?
    Yes software was installed fresh after being downloaded, but I can redo when I have a little time sometime this week. It's monitoring but I did disable the energy savings component. And when I asked about it on their forum they thought it was something with the computer and not the UPS (At least the having to reset the power on it before the power button would work after sleep/hibernate when it rarely does go to sleep).
    Last edited by camper65; 03-18-2014 at 07:27 PM.
    CPU AMD FX 6300 3.5Ghz
    16 GB memory

Well it turns out that the LAN was set to permit it to wake the system, so it did. I shut that and tested today that it would stay asleep and it did. Now I need to wait and see if overnight it will wake back up normal or will I need to press the off/on button on my UPS.

Thanks for all the replies and we'll continue to see if I have any more problems.
    CPU AMD FX 6300 3.5Ghz
    16 GB memory

parsec is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by camper65 View Post
    Iím having an issue in trying to get my machine to sleep...

If and when it does finally go to sleep (the rare times it actually works), after a few hours, I have to turn off and on my Uninterrupted Power Supply to get the power button on the tower to work. (Basically resetting the machine). This happened when I tried using hibernate also, but since then I disabled it and went back to hybrid sleep, would like to get one or the other to work properly and not have to keep shutting and restarting the UPS.

I don't understand why you need to turn off your UPS when you needed to get your PC to respond to its power button. Can't you use the power switch on the PSU? Or unplug the power cord to the PSU?

Smile Re: Issues getting machine to sleep (and wake using power button when it does sleep)

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    I don't understand why you need to turn off your UPS when you needed to get your PC to respond to its power button. Can't you use the power switch on the PSU? Or unplug the power cord to the PSU?
    I use the UPS since it's easier to get to than the Power Supply on the tower due to its location. But since I disabled the LAN is seems to be working without having to touch the UPS, it wakes properly with the mouse or keyboard. But it did wake up last night due to the backup program (checked under powercfg -lastwake) and didn't go back to sleep, I just shortened the time for it to go to sleep and will see if that makes a difference. I'm testing this backup program right now and if it's good I'll buy it to replace my old one for use on this tower.
    CPU AMD FX 6300 3.5Ghz
    16 GB memory

Thread Information