Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: ASrock FM2A88X-itx+ with A10-7850K overheating problem

Default Re: ASrock FM2A88X-itx+ with A10-7850K overheating problem

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    take a detailed and real close look around the coolers base that it isn't resting on any of the motherboard components and thus deterring it from making proper contact to the CPU.
    Grrr, sorry. Look at all the mounting brackets and base and any where or thing else that might be interfering with the coolers base making proper contact. Not just the base as I stated above.

Other than the possible mis-orientation of the cooler relevant to the board, take a detailed and real close look around the coolers base that it isn't resting on any of the motherboard components and thus deterring it from making proper contact to the CPU. If it were resting on a component that would explain your being able to press down on the cooler and in doing so see the temps change as drastically as they do/did while doing so.
    I will. I can't wait for that thermal paste to arrive so I can start testing.

Dude I can't believe you are still awake. You should go rest. It must be really late in the US now.

Quote Originally Posted by slekkas View Post
    That's fine my friend. I'm sure you have had plenty of know it all guys that ask for help and when you try to help they don't like what they hear. I'm not one of them.
    Thank you. And that you're not one of them is reassuring.

Meh, I'm seeing some problems here with your current hardware. The PSU and possibly the case. I say possibly as I can't be for sure until you get that cooler on so that pressing down upon it does not lower your temps. And as much as doing so does cause the temp swing.

Much more relaxed now and having some time to type, here I go.

1. The cooler and whether or not it's orientated correctly. And if in fact there is something that's interfering/blocking it from making proper contact so that when corrected(assuming its bad now) your pressing on it doesn't swing like it currently does.

2. The PSU. Yea, I bet your tired of seeing me type that huh? But, listen. The 150w psu you have there now. Consider it's working overtime keeping up with the R5 and 7850K. That overtime/overtaxing is generating large amounts of heat. Heat that wouldn't be there normally but due to the fact that it is working its tail off trying to keep up it is generating more than as is supposed under *normal* operating conditions.

Did you as I tried to hint at place your hand at the PSU's exhaust and see if it was running/blowing warm? That's with the case all closed up so as to imitate your normal daily operations of it.

3. The case. Oh where to begin. First up is to consider the overtaxing of the current PSU responsible for some or much of the heat/temps/reasons you're seeing as I'm again betting much isn't being exhausted but instead finding it way into the interior of the case. Making the coolers normal effectiveness less than stellar as it's maybe now(see 1(possibly?!?) and 2 above) having to circulate this psu heated air instead of a nice cool flow over the coolers fins. Dampening its cooling capabilities.

3a. That 7850K runs hot. No getting around that. No sugar-coating. That's the plain straight up truth. That heat this proc generates will need exhausted from the case. Thus may complicate issue 3b below.

3b. The ISK 310 you have has only one 80mm fan, intake or exhaust, dependent on its orientation, and I am left wondering if that's adequate for the 7850K you've got stuffed in there. Never mind with the R5 on the other side now blocking/restricting any cross flow that *might* have existed in helping to circulate some air over the cooler uninterrupted. And, to add insult to injury, now the R5's heat generated is too ending up going over the coolers fins as the 80mm case fan is on the opposite side of the case from the R5. With the proc/cooler between them. And then, sigh, again the heat of an overtaxed psu that a lessor or greater amount heat is most likely escaping into the case just too, because, *why* not. :) That 80mm IMO just doesn't have the oomph to pull enough cool air over the R5 to cool it, and expect the cpu cooler to adequately function wih whatever cool air(read; prob very little to none) remains. ie: it's hard(er) for a cooler to cool when it's being fed warm air.

You seem to have a viscous circle going there.

I'd suggest you first make double sure to get the cooler mounted proper and securely. There's something going on there with it that indicates/hints that it's not making proper contact.

And I salute that 150w psu for it's duty. I for the life of me was utterly surprised it runs, albeit with low voltages, at all. I mean that. Surge voltages upon starting the computer must be misery for it but it's standing tall. Ok maybe tall was a stretch there. Weak at the knees but still holding guard. It needs replaced. Preferably before toppling over to the sand and taking one or more of your computers parts with it to the afterlife it surely is headed.

Look at the case and see if there's a way you can mount another 80mm or larger. Yea, I know. It most likely will not win any beauty awards with another fan mounted. But in my thinking it's going to need one even after you get the coolers mounting and proper CPU contact established.
    Last edited by - wardog -; 03-19-2014 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by slekkas View Post
    Dude I can't believe you are still awake. You should go rest. It must be really late in the US now.
    na na na na na I have my hands over my ears like a child, so I can't hear you.

Doh! Mine eyes have yet again failed me. hehehe

4:21am EST

So as impatient as I am I when out and bought some cheap paste. Spire silvergrease pro, crap. I couldn't find anything better around where I live. I changed the orientation and was very careful while screwing back the cooler. Since I'll be putting the good paste tomorrow I didn't bother mounting the motherboard back to the case and I'm running everything in the air. Pictures are on the way...

Edit 1: I was able to play two full games of battlefield 4 in dual graphics with max temperature up to 75c-80c. I played Diablo 3 for 30min with same temps. If you look carefully at the pictures I will add you will see that I had to remove the one RAM's heat cover in order to fit the RAM and it still touches on the copper pipes and tilts a bit. Tomorrow with the IC Diamond 24 Carat I'm pretty sure I will get another 5c drop.

Edit 2: Here are the pics:

Last edited by slekkas; 03-19-2014 at 07:19 PM.

Much much better. Voltages too what with that *external* psu powering her.

I take it then the cooler was maybe hung up on that stick of memory and not allowing it to seat properly?

I take it then the cooler was maybe hung up on that stick of memory and not allowing it to seat properly?
    Or something in the mounting or base hanging it up?

Dang. Where's the coolers fan? It isn't shown in those new pics.

This cooler has the fan under the heatsink. I also ordered another 80mm fan antec tricool and I'll use it to blow fresh air into the case. So the one brings fresh air and the other exhaust. What you think?

parsec is offline Senior Member

The fan is under the top of the heatsink itself. It's an 80mm x 10mm model, which is small and weak as fans go, pics and review here:

Scythe Kozuti Low Profile CPU Heatsink | silentpcreview.com

Imagine all the heat in the OP's case, from the video card and PSU, with only one 80mm case fan. The air inside the case must be about 40C, and that is used to "cool" the CPU? It all makes sense now, except for the miracle PSU, but we'll take it. I think the video card is just powered from the PCI-E slot, no extra power cables needed, which helps explain (somewhat) how the PSU manages to work with this system.

Now that the board, etc, is outside of the case, things are much better temperature-wise.

slekkas, all you need now is a larger PC case, with some 120mm or 140mm fans. Nothing fancy is needed, just as long as it has some air space inside, and a few case fans to move air in and out of the case.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information