Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: z68 extreme3 gen3 windows 8.1 support?

Default z68 extreme3 gen3 windows 8.1 support?

Hey all,

So I'm running:
    CPU/iGPU: Intel core i7 2600k @ 3.4ghz w/ intel HD 3000 gen2 iGPU
    Mobo: ASRock z68 extreme3 gen3
    RAM: 16gb ddr3 ram
    dgpu: AMD Radeon HD 6950 (latest drivers)

The TL;DR here is: Is there any driver support for windows 8.1 & the z68 extreme3 gen3 mobo? If so, what is it, and what restrictions are there?

Problem description:
    For a good long time I was running this machine quite happily on windows 7 and windows 8 with two monitors - one into the mobo/igpu and one into the dgpu. Games, videos, basically anything graphically intensive on my main monitor (dgpu) etc would leverage the dgpu exclusively, giving great performance. I updated to windows 8.1 and (either causally or coincidentally) performance ground to a halt doing ANYTHING graphically intensive - even movies running on either monitor would get at best 12 fps - let alone games of any kind. I booted up a few tools to monitor my dgpu usage (among them the AMD catalyst center tools w/ card usage monitoring) and found that no matter what I did, the computer would NOT leverage the dgpu - EVERYTHING ran through the igpu. The computer appears to recognize the device fine - and occasionally I'll get blips of activity there, or short bursts - but inevitably everything seems to default to the igpu. In order to NOT have this happen, simply using a single monitor through the dgpu port isn't enough. I've had to go into uefi settings and disable multi-monitor support manually, in addition to specifying the pcie as my default graphics. Now I am down to one monitor and the igpu appears fully disabled - things are performing reasonably well - but this feels like I've had to go WAY down the wrong path to get here. I need to get back up to two monitors in order to be able to work effeciently for my job from home - and constantly changing these settings & rebooting to switch between 'fun' and 'career' isn't working.

I am down for any suggestions at all - I've tried everything I can think to try. Please assist! Thank in advance

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: z68 extreme3 gen3 windows 8.1 support?

It sounds like you've been using the Lucid Virtu software, to pair up the IGPU and the DGPU? No other way to do that I'm aware of, since combining integrated and discrete graphics was unheard of until the Lucid Virtu software was introduced. You mention seeing activity rarely on the DGPU since you changed to Windows 8.1, which is why I think you are using the Lucid software, is that correct?

If so, the Lucid Virtu software is no longer supplied for free with any of the latest ASRock boards. The last version available for your board is for Windows 7, and is Lucid Virtu ver:1.2.112.20176. If that worked with Windows 8, you were lucky, but 8.1 seems to finally fail with the Windows 7 version. Lucid was giving it away a couple years ago, but not anymore.

I don't use the Lucid software, and can run multiple monitors on all my discrete GPUs, and the Intel integrated graphics as well, but not with both graphics sources working together. I would be surprised if your 6950 could not drive multiple monitors, it should do two at the very least. I can drive three with the Intel 4600 graphics, and the same with my discrete cards, all in Windows 8.1.

Otherwise, I don't understand exactly what the problem is, and what drivers you are looking for from ASRock.

I don't know if this is still running or not. Page is still "up' yet it says it expired on Jan 1 2014.

Free upgrade | Lucidlogix
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    It sounds like you've been using the Lucid Virtu software ... You mention seeing activity rarely on the DGPU since you changed to Windows 8.1, which is why I think you are using the Lucid software, is that correct?

Otherwise, I don't understand exactly what the problem is, and what drivers you are looking for from ASRock.
    Firstly, thank you for taking the time to respond. As is probably obvious from my request and problem statement, I am reaching out of my depths trying to troubleshoot this, so I appreciate your full answer.

That said - unless I am running Lucid software somehow without knowing it (not seeing anything in add/remove progs) I do not think I am or was running it. I am going purely with observation at this point - pre windows 8.1 - I had 1 monitor in my dgpu and one into the mobo/igpu - I was able to run games etc on the primary (dgpu) monitor fine, and the secondary was able to run video off of the igpu output. Performance was stellar on tasks running on both monitors. I noticed after the 8.1 upgrade (possibly coincidentally? but that's when I noticed) that this was no longer the case - and ANY video tasks were igpu only. That's as much as I can guarantee from observation - the rest of the digging was me trying to troubleshoot.

Part of this lead me to look to see if there was a driver issue with each component in my rig. I've gone item by item checking & updating as necessary (just about everything was up to date). My testing included both standard and beta drivers where available. The last piece I have yet to find drivers for is the mobo. The drivers page lists windows 8 drivers- but nothing for windows 8.1. I've heard differing reports on the support status of the asrock z68 extreme3 gen3 board & windows 8.1 - so I was hoping to get a solid answer on a: is it supported and b: if so, by what driver set?

Thanks in advance for the time taken so far!

parsec is offline Senior Member

Ok, no Lucid software.

First, the BIOS of any board allows you to select between the IGPU and DGPU, when both exist in a PC. The one that is selected in the BIOS becomes the one that is used by the PC, and the usual idea is the one that is not selected is not used by the PC. A setting to use both GPUs does not exist (such as Both), unless an Auto setting allows both to be used. Your BIOS has this setting, but only you can tell us what that is set to currently.

Multi-GPU systems would then have the question, what is selecting which GPU is used for which task? Is one the default, which should be the BIOS setting. How are you selecting or directing a video task to one GPU or the other?

I assume you have one monitor connected to the DGPU, and the other to the IGPU. Both monitors would then display your desktop, correct? Then running a video task on either display would then use the associated GPU, correct?

Have you checked the Windows Display option in Control Panel? Changing to Win 8.1 could have changed those settings, which need to be configured again, via Change Display Settings. Also check the Advanced settings.

What will ASRock do about Win 8.1 drivers for your board? Who knows? You get the Win 8.1 video driver for your DGPU from AMD itself, and the Intel IGPU 8.1 driver can be had from Intel directly:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...09%09%09%09%09

Thread Information