Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: FM2A88X+ Fatality RAM won't run beyond 1600

Default Re: FM2A88X+ Fatality RAM won't run beyond 1600

Quote Originally Posted by ASCI Blue View Post
    I have a bfgr550wgxpsu I'm assuming it's providing adequate power
    Sorry for my asking that q. False alarm. While looking at the BFG psu's I was, I mistakenly saw that 1.0A listed on top on the psus sticker and somehow didn't see the . there. Thus initially concerned you might have had a PSU there with 10a 12v rail instead of the actual 18a you do have. Again, sorry there. Most manuf's put that 1.0a below the rails actual rating on the sticker, not above, thus my confusion.

Looking forward here to these BIOS screenies.

Let's not be to anxious or ready to change much speed, timing, or voltage wise until you have a stable running system there. It simply complicates matters when trying to diagnose. That they haven't yet run easily at their DEFAULT settings is concern enough, never mind any unnecessary above stock voltage and or timing changes you might make in diagnosing. IOW, Finesse, not a hammer. All a hammer gets you is a kludge, not necessarily the root cause/cure/solve.

I just did a run at G.Skills Ram Configurator HERE and don't see this memory on the pages listings. That might mean they haven't tested this kit with your Killer yet or it may signify an incompatibility. But dang, they're spec'd at 11-11-11-30 2T @ 1.5-1.6v and I for the life of me can't think they aren't compatible in that spec. Those are IMO bone AMD specs.

Please, go HERE (TweakTown G.Skill Tech Support) and make a post for Matt the G.Skill Tech there asking to have him check compatibility on your FM2A88x+ Killer/F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL pairing. Assuming they do have a Killer board there he'll answer you ASAP.

In the meantime would you download and run MemTest86+ against these two sticks/kit you have. If only to rule out the possibility of your having a bad stick that's causing you these troubles.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

First I do have a very stable, running system. I had typed my previous messages from it and have put several hours of gaming into it as well. The only problem with it literally is the RAM not running at 2133 or anything above 1600 for that matter. I have pictures now of my bios, probably a tad overzealous with them but there's no such thing as too much intel right? :D

I hope that posting a link to my pictures is okay to save on bandwidth, asciblue's albums - Imgur this includes the majority of options related to ocing, ram, processor, apu, and voltage.

I'll be posting in the GSkill section as well, hopefully this is some form of easy fix. I'm starting to wonder if some kind of bios update is needed as using some google-fu has found very few success stories from people with the same issue.

If those pics are there in your Imgur Gallery at this time they probably need to be made Public. One hour after your post above and nothing is publicly available.

asciblue's albums
    asciblue does not have any public albums or public images. There's nothing else to see here.

First I do have a very stable, running system. I had typed my previous messages from it and have put several hours of gaming into it as well. The only problem with it literally is the RAM not running at 2133 or anything above 1600 for that matter.
    The memory controller on the 7850K is spec'd at 2133. As well, your memory/ram is spec'd at 2133. While it seems stable and running do you agree or disagree that one or both CPU and or memory is not functioning as it should be while not booting at anything over 1600 ?!?

Please, I am here attempting to help you. I am beginning to feel as though you believe me the enemy. Lower your defense shield. And while you're at it firmly reseat both memory sticks in their slots.

I had reset my memory over the weekend as well, it was one of my first thoughts as well as trying a single stick and I tried slot B1 alone but system wouldn't boot. I'm dumb and imjur is way smarter than I am, I hadn't created an album. I fail. :p

I didn't intend to sound defensive, just the first part of a list. Text form of anything is a horrid way to communicate. :P While both are specced to run at 2133, the reality is one is not, I'm not sure which but this kind of reminds me of a previous motherboard I had where it wouldn't run 133 mhz ram at 133 unless the board was set for 133. There was some minor fiddling to do with the multiplier due to this a well and I want to say it was my Athlon 700. It went from 7x100 to 5.5x133 which also netted me a slight overclock as well.

No one's dumb here on Tt. No one.

One more screenie if you would. That being OC Tweaker > DRAM Timing Control (the one that has "Auto" next to it), set it to Manual and that subsequent data next shown/opened is the one I'm looking for.

Check that both sticks have the same SPD data programmed, either by looking separately at A2 and B2 in the BIOS or in CPU-Z's SPD tab. The numbers shown should match stick to stick, row to row, column to column.

Lastly, describe how you set them to 1866 or 2133 in the BIOS please.

Thanks,
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Two new pics posted under rama2 and ramb2. In the bios OC-Tweaker I set the ram frequency to XXXX Mhz. I briefly tinkered with the additional manual settings but was reluctant to delve into it too far since I've never played with timings before.

According to the bios both sticks have identical everything as posted. I noticed in cpu-z under the GPU memory speed it's set at 800 which iirc would be 1600 DDR, I kinda wonder what would happen if I popped in a dedicated video card...which I happen to have a spare of.

Two new pics posted under rama2 and ramb2. In the bios OC-Tweaker I set the ram frequency to XXXX Mhz. I briefly tinkered with the additional manual settings but was reluctant to delve into it too far since I've never played with timings before.

According to the bios both sticks have identical everything as posted. I noticed in cpu-z under the GPU memory speed it's set at 800 which iirc would be 1600 DDR, I kinda wonder what would happen if I popped in a dedicated video card...which I happen to have a spare of.
    I believe I can declare Bingo!

In only your setting ram frequency to XXXX Mhz or in possibly your changing "some'(?) of the timings in Manual that alone wasn't changing the timings/voltages to coincide to the higher selected XXXX speed.

Let's do this. Let's let the BIOS set everything up for you using the XMP Profile 2 which has the CR of 2. Well, the XMP Profile 2 of the kits I have here are CR 2 and I'm hoping yours do too.
    1. First clear the BIOS so that any timings or other possible ram adjustments you've made get cleared out. You're a Pro at this now, right? :)
    2. Reboot right back into the BIOS and enter the page of the BIOS displayed by the pic below that I conveniently highjacked from you Imgur Album
    3. The line below where it says Load XMP Settings-----Auto, touch Auto and select XMP 1.3 Profile 2, DO NOT TOUCH OR CHANGE ANYTHING ELSE, immediately proceed to the Exit tab of the BIOS and select Save Changes and Exit
    4. Reboot, well hopefully it's successful in rebooting now, and head right back into the BIOS. Make any SATA or other settings changes needed and after select Save Changes and Exit and see if your Windows install comes up, error free

FM2A88X+ Fatality RAM won't run beyond 1600-hvfxxfr-jpg
    Last edited by - wardog -; 03-26-2014 at 07:44 PM.

That was a no go. :( I booted to a platter drive rather than risk a second ssd, I have a mostly black screen and the line: The file is possibly corrupt. The file header and checksum does not match the corrupted checksum. This is an install which I created an image from, backed up, then kept using until the new drive was in and I had used this install all last weekend as well.

Any time I change ram timing the system acts like it's lost power rather than just restarting. It does start back up on it's own though. When XMP was selected I managed to get back into the bios and it had the ram set at 2133. I'm stumped as to why this is being so cranky.
    Last edited by ASCI Blue; 03-27-2014 at 12:42 AM.

That was a no go. :( I booted to a platter drive rather than risk a second ssd, I have a mostly black screen and the line: The file is possibly corrupt. The file header and checksum does not match the corrupted checksum. This is an install which I created an image from, backed up, then kept using until the new drive was in and I had used this install all last weekend as well.

Any time I change ram timing the system acts like it's lost power rather than just restarting. It does start back up on it's own though. When XMP was selected I managed to get back into the bios and it had the ram set at 2133. I'm stumped as to why this is being so cranky.
    If it booted at 2133 and passed POST using the method I outlined above, which it did as it allowed you back in the BIOS at 2133, then it's time for a fresh OS install. Passing POST and then only to puke after "handing off' to the OS with the corruption you say is a rather convincing proof the OS on the disk is hosed.

Good thing is you now know how to set up a BIOS to properly configure and make use of that mem's XMP setting. That's why I asked a couple posts up of just how/what you were doing that it was failing to go above 1600.

I've seen mine do that "power off' thing before too. It should have only happened once immediately on/after the ram config change upon Save Changes and Exit and subsequent reboot

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information