Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: USB 3 failing - Asrock A75 Pro4-m

Default Re: USB 3 failing - Asrock A75 Pro4-m

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    I'm not familiar with your particular board, but wardog's question about the SATA 3_5 port is probably related to your USB 3.0 issue. If you could move that drive to a different SATA port, say SATA 3_4, that might be what he wants you to try.

About the booting problem with your SSD, when you installed Windows 7 on your SanDisk SSD, did you have any other HDDs or SSDs installed and powered up at the same time? Did you use that SSD as an OS drive in the past, or was it new, or formatted after a previous Windows installation?

You could try booting from your Windows installation media, and select Repair from the first screen that offers Repair or Install.
    Gotta hit and run. Thanks for the suggestions and I will try them when later today.

WARDOG - I will try the IDE Combined suggestion

PARSEC - brand new SSD and when I installed W7 it was the only drive. I added all drives @ a later date. Do you think I should run repair?

ALSO - to be clear; My main problem is that I cannot use the Thermaltake USB 3 dock because it is not seen in USB3. Well..I can use it as USB2 but that is not what I bought it for. Maybe switching the IDE Combine~ will fix the problem
    I will report back.

I disabled IDE Combined and I'm getting the same behavior w/the dock. Namely, Win7 pops up and says I need to format the disk to use it.
    The disk is formatted and the disk, w/dock, will work on other PCs w/USB 3

I suppose i should try just USB drivers as linked above by Parsec.

parsec is offline Senior Member

My suggestion is just based upon the limited information we have about your setup, or what I can recall now.

You should be able to see if a USB 3.0 driver is installed if you check Windows Programs and Features. Or by the the Device Manager entry for the USB 3.0 controller, the Driver tab will show which driver is being used, either AMD or Microsoft.

If you never ran the All-in-One AMD driver installer, then you have all Windows generic drivers. That is not wrong, but they might not work as well as the true AMD drivers. Running the installer should not cause any problems, and if it did you can always use the rollback driver option for the device in Device Manager.

Would you agree wardog?

Would you agree wardog?
    I'd really like to see what they discover when following and posting the results of your idea below. That might prove telling.

You should be able to see if a USB 3.0 driver is installed if you check Windows Programs and Features. Or by the the Device Manager entry for the USB 3.0 controller, the Driver tab will show which driver is being used, either AMD or Microsoft.
    Last edited by - wardog -; 04-01-2014 at 05:23 AM. Reason: whet to what

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    I'd really like to see what they discover when following and posting the results of your idea below. That might prove telling.
    And the details of the driver from within Device Manager if you would please.

I've got Server 2012 on that box atm and it appears good ol' MS took care of everything as Uninstall Programs doesn't show any specific drivers that were installed by the User, me. I really don't remember doing any either.

Chris, in Device Manager look under USB Serial Bus Controllers and see if any of the eXtensible Host Controller entries at the top are appended with (Microsoft) at the end.

USB 3 failing - Asrock A75 Pro4-m-dvc-mngr-usb3-jpg

USB 3 failing - Asrock A75 Pro4-m-dvc-mngr-usb3-root-hub-jpg

It LOOKS like everything should work. They look like AMD / chipset drivers....

I would say it was the dock but the dock works on 3 other computers.

USB 3 failing - Asrock A75 Pro4-m-programs-features-jpg

parsec is offline Senior Member

That looks right IMO, although Intel USB 3.0 drivers appear in programs and features, but that doesn't make any difference, the AMD USB 3.0 driver amdxhc.sys is installed.

My only other comment would be, with the PC on and the external USB 3.0 drive disconnected, when you then connect the the USB drive, you should see the XFast USB dialog box appear, requesting you to disconnect and reconnect the drive again. Then you should see the XFast display show you the device is in "Turbo" mode. If you don't see that, something is wrong.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information