Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: USB 3 failing - Asrock A75 Pro4-m

Default Re: USB 3 failing - Asrock A75 Pro4-m

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    That looks right IMO, although Intel USB 3.0 drivers appear in programs and features, but that doesn't make any difference, the AMD USB 3.0 driver amdxhc.sys is installed.

My only other comment would be, with the PC on and the external USB 3.0 drive disconnected, when you then connect the the USB drive, you should see the XFast USB dialog box appear, requesting you to disconnect and reconnect the drive again. Then you should see the XFast display show you the device is in "Turbo" mode. If you don't see that, something is wrong.
    I've disconnected it and connected it so many times...I think it did do the fast usb thing...pretty sure. I think it only does it once, right?
    I'm basically stuck. No idea what to do. Thermal tech support is pretty bad. ASRock has not replied to me yet but its only been since Thursday or Friday.

Boy, those pics sure look like you installed everything from the Support CD on 1/02/2014, program wise anyways.

Did you install the Catalyst Install Manager to support a dedicated GPU though? Or was it installed as/with all from the Support CD?

Go back to parsec's post # 6 and rip out the USB dir, and through Dev Mgr see if it will let you update them through the Properties dialog box.

Otherwise I'd say simply re-run the Support CD and check if it will let you (re-)install only the USB drivers. If not I don't see anything in those pics that would preclude me from running the whole driver installation shebang from the Support CD again.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

I think Catalyst installed with the Support CD.
    I'll try parsec's post #6.

The AMD All in One driver package for Windows 7 can be downloaded from your board's download page here:

A75 Motherboard Series Manufacturing - ASRock Inc.

The USB 3.0 driver is buried deep within the folders of this .zip file. Once unzipped, look for the Packages folder, and then Drivers. Then SBDrv, and hseries, and then USB30. You then should find amdxhc folder, and in there, W764A. The amdxhc Windows Installer Package will hopefully run on its own, without running the entire installation package, which would not be a huge disaster at all if necessary.
    I tried to run amdxhc.msi. It told me catalyst installer manager had to do it. Asked me if I wanted to run the install manager. Hit yes....it started then failed, asked me to restart it...'an unknown error has occurred'.

parsec is offline Senior Member

It looks like the main installer program is in the Allin1(8.86RC2) folder, the Setup.exe Application program.

After looking at the USB 3.0 setup information file, there are so many environment and shell variables read and set, to get them all right at the USB3.0 folder level, would take manual intervention to get it to run by itself, and is to difficult to figure out.

Did you try running the install manager with the unzipped AllinOne file on the C: drive itself? I don't know where your Downloads folder is, in case you have it on another drive.

Personally, every time I connect a USB flash drive to a USB 3.0 port, I get the XFast USB dialog box displayed. But I have several of them and they are all different. Did you try the external drive in one of the other USB 3.0 ports? Are you using any of the other USB 3.0 ports for anything now?

Actually, I was copying some files from a USB 2.0 flash drive to a USB 3.0 drive, with both on USB 3.0 ports. In all cases I was getting less than 1MB/s copy speeds to the USB 3.0 flash drive. Just sayin'.

What type of drive is in the external enclosure you are using? I must agree that 25MB/s is a (decent) USB 2.0 speed. When using XFast USB with an SSD in a USB 3.0 enclosure, I've gotten some great speeds, virtually matching the sequential speeds of the SATA II SSD, running a benchmark program that is. Showing you those results is probably a bad tease...

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisPbass View Post
    I tried to run amdxhc.msi. It told me catalyst installer manager had to do it. Asked me if I wanted to run the install manager. Hit yes....it started then failed, asked me to restart it...'an unknown error has occurred'.
    Grab the latest chipset drivers from the link in my sig and once downloaded simply run it.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    Grab the latest chipset drivers from the link in my sig and once downloaded simply run it.
    OK. I was trying to avoid installing the whole package but I guess it won't hurt anything.

It looks like the main installer program is in the Allin1(8.86RC2) folder, the Setup.exe Application program.

After looking at the USB 3.0 setup information file, there are so many environment and shell variables read and set, to get them all right at the USB3.0 folder level, would take manual intervention to get it to run by itself, and is to difficult to figure out.

Did you try running the install manager with the unzipped AllinOne file on the C: drive itself? I don't know where your Downloads folder is, in case you have it on another drive.

I will run the whole thing today.

Personally, every time I connect a USB flash drive to a USB 3.0 port, I get the XFast USB dialog box displayed. But I have several of them and they are all different. Did you try the external drive in one of the other USB 3.0 ports? Are you using any of the other USB 3.0 ports for anything now?

I get the xfast thing too but I have plugged and unplugged this drive so many times that I've forgotten if it's definitely come up every time. I would 'yeah pretty sure'.

Actually, I was copying some files from a USB 2.0 flash drive to a USB 3.0 drive, with both on USB 3.0 ports. In all cases I was getting less than 1MB/s copy speeds to the USB 3.0 flash drive. Just sayin'.

The only reason I mentioned the flash drive speeds was to say that I didn't think the port was operating at USB3 speed. It was 'evidence' that the port was not working at USB3 speed. My MAIN problem is that the DOCK will not function in the USB 3 port.

What type of drive is in the external enclosure you are using? I must agree that 25MB/s is a (decent) USB 2.0 speed. When using XFast USB with an SSD in a USB 3.0 enclosure, I've gotten some great speeds, virtually matching the sequential speeds of the SATA II SSD, running a benchmark program that is. Showing you those results is probably a bad tease...
    Brandnew new 3tb Hitachi deskstar. It worked w/no problem on 3 other PCs with USB3.
    [/B]
    [B]

-

No stress ;-)

Installed the Allin1. Accidentally plugged it into USB 2 port and the f'r came up w/no problem. Plugged it into USB3 and FORMAT THE DISK.

I deleted infcache.1 per the dudes at sevenforums and no change.

WTH. Should I delete all the USB stuff in device manger and just let it reinstall automatically? I'm at a loss.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Did you try the chipset/USB/AHCI driver installer that wardog suggested, downloaded from AMD? Sorry, just not clear to me if you used that one, or the AllinOne from ASRock's site. The file wardog has the link to is the latest update for those drivers, etc, so it should good to do for everything. The chipset installer from ASRock is almost three years old now (Wow!) and version ver:8.86RC2 (RC2? As in Release Candidate? Is that possibly true wardog??) The file from AMD is version 13.4.

Don't worry about updating these driver files, its not like a video driver update where things can get screwed up. If you did not use the one from AMD, you really must.

Here it is again: AMD Chipset Drivers

Not sure why you got advice to delete a file. That is usually a desperate move, but I know you are.

Wait a second, so you are getting a response now (format the disk) or is that the usual? Actually that may be worse, right?

Also, just noticed a 3TB disk. Are you familiar with the issues with disk drives over 2.2TB? How is that disk formatted now?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information