Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: USB 3 failing - Asrock A75 Pro4-m

Default USB 3 failing - Asrock A75 Pro4-m

PUNCH LINE - The problem with the dock was solved by either updating the AMD drivers or by nuking ASRock FastUSB. I have a feeling it was the chipset drivers.

MANY THANKS TO parsec and wardog

I have the A75 Pro-4M with W7 pro 64. Built the machine myself.

I just bought a Thermaltake blackx 5g dual USB 3 dock.
    Short story...the dock will work on USB 2 w/no problem.
    USB 3 does not detect the drive. It will work on other USB 3 computers.

I tested my pc by transferring files from a USB 3 flash drive to the desktop of the pc. It transferred at 25Mb/s which is USB 2.

What is the deal? Device manager shows USB 3 installed.

I will say that I have not tried EACH USB 3 port w/the flash drive but I did try the dock in multiple ports.

IDEAS?
    Last edited by ChrisPbass; 04-07-2014 at 04:06 AM.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: USB 3 failing - Asrock A75 Pro4-m

Do you have the ASRock XFast USB utility installed?

Did you try restarting the PC with the new USB 3.0 dock disconnected, and then try connecting it again?

Any problems with the USB 3.0 ports seen in Device Manager?

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Do you have the ASRock XFast USB utility installed?

Did you try restarting the PC with the new USB 3.0 dock disconnected, and then try connecting it again?

Any problems with the USB 3.0 ports seen in Device Manager?

I do have the XFast installed. I have boot/rebooted multiple times trying different ports.
    No problems w/USB ports EXCEPT transfer speed on my USB 3 flash appears kind of slow (25-30Mb/s). However, I've never really looked at transfer speeds for a flash drive. I just know that 25Mb/s is not USB 3.

There is a ASRock All-in-1 driver that someone said solved their problem but .... I gotta assume I installed the driver when I built the PC! I assume it was on the driver disc.

With XFast USB installed, when you connect a USB device, the XFast dialog box should appear (you should also see the XFast USB icon among the hidden icons in the Task Bar, on the right side.) A message should appear telling you to disconnect and reconnect the USB device to enable XFast. When that is done, the XFast dialog box will have the Turbo entry checked, and the USB device's name listed at the bottom.

Transfer speeds for USB flash drives vary depending upon the drive itself. There is no one automatic or set speed you would get for a flash drive just because it is USB 3.0. 25MB/s would be great for a USB 2.0 drive or interface. My USB 3.0 flash drives vary from ~30MB/s to ~90MB/s read speeds, which was done on a benchmarking program using large sequential files. Real world speed in Windows will be less.

With XFast USB installed, when you connect a USB device, the XFast dialog box should appear (you should also see the XFast USB icon among the hidden icons in the Task Bar, on the right side.) A message should appear telling you to disconnect and reconnect the USB device to enable XFast. When that is done, the XFast dialog box will have the Turbo entry checked, and the USB device's name listed at the bottom.

Transfer speeds for USB flash drives vary depending upon the drive itself. There is no one automatic or set speed you would get for a flash drive just because it is USB 3.0. 25MB/s would be great for a USB 2.0 drive or interface. My USB 3.0 flash drives vary from ~30MB/s to ~90MB/s read speeds, which was done on a benchmarking program using large sequential files. Real world speed in Windows will be less.
    Yes this is all true. OK. I believe my problem is that USB 3 is not working correctly.
    1) The HD dock doesn't function correctly when plugged into USB ("please format disk"); works fine on other PCs in USB3.
    2) Flash doesn't seem fast enough (but that has been discussed already)

I've researched this and USB 3 not working is not a rare problem w/ASRock boards.
    I have no other way to test the USB3 ports.

I have no idea what to do next so I am considering installing the ASRock Allin1 driver. I assume it's the install disk that came with the board but I can't find the disk. Does anyone know which USB3 driver is on that driver?
    Last edited by ChrisPbass; 03-29-2014 at 11:12 PM.

The AMD All in One driver package for Windows 7 can be downloaded from your board's download page here:

A75 Motherboard Series Manufacturing - ASRock Inc.

The USB 3.0 driver is buried deep within the folders of this .zip file. Once unzipped, look for the Packages folder, and then Drivers. Then SBDrv, and hseries, and then USB30. You then should find amdxhc folder, and in there, W764A. The amdxhc Windows Installer Package will hopefully run on its own, without running the entire installation package, which would not be a huge disaster at all if necessary.

If this is a new build i might assume the all-in-1 drivers might not have been installed. But one that's been running I have to believe the OP would have certainly noticed by now.

Chris, in the BIOS > Advanced > Storage Configuration, what is currently showing for "SATA IDE Combined Mode"? Enabled? Following that, just how many internal HDD/SSD do you have connected, and are any of them connected to SATA3_5?
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

I don't see where to add a signature.

This is a server I built. My first build.

AMD A6-3500
    ASRock A75 Pro4-M
    G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model
    Sandisk 64Gb SSD for the OS
    2 x Seagate NAS HDD ST3000VN000 3TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive
    1 1Tb seagate ST3100

OS disk is on Sata 3_1
    Sata 3_5 has a 1Tb drive that is currently just sort of sitting in there. It's in disk manager and all but I don't use it.

I will say this, even though it may not matter...I do have a problem with this PC. The BIOS will not remember that the SSD is the boot disk and it always go into 'incorrect media, please enter boot media' unless I hit f11 and choose the SSD. I have changed it many times...and it always reverts. I am saving w/changes and such.

SATA controller - enabled
    SATA mode - AHCI
    IDE Combined - enabled
    Last edited by ChrisPbass; 03-31-2014 at 07:31 AM.

I'm not familiar with your particular board, but wardog's question about the SATA 3_5 port is probably related to your USB 3.0 issue. If you could move that drive to a different SATA port, say SATA 3_4, that might be what he wants you to try.

About the booting problem with your SSD, when you installed Windows 7 on your SanDisk SSD, did you have any other HDDs or SSDs installed and powered up at the same time? Did you use that SSD as an OS drive in the past, or was it new, or formatted after a previous Windows installation?

You could try booting from your Windows installation media, and select Repair from the first screen that offers Repair or Install.

I'm not familiar with your particular board, but wardog's question about the SATA 3_5 port is probably related to your USB 3.0 issue. If you could move that drive to a different SATA port, say SATA 3_4, that might be what he wants you to try.
    Wild goose chase. In reading the manual I read something that at that time I posted appeared odd to me, but just now again and I'm apologizing.

Disable that "SATA IDE Combined Mode" and recheck your transfer speeds. Combined Mode is a rather confusing option and were you to look at IDE Controllers in Device Manage while flipping between Enabled and Disabled you most likely will see an additional controller added while "Enabled".

Yea, here. I found the bookmark I saved when I first saw that option in one of the BIOSes here. HERE. On reading that I immediately went and disabled Combined Mode as I don't want drives hanging off a generic controller. It defeats the whole point of installing vendor/chipset specific drivers.

About the booting problem with your SSD, when you installed Windows 7 on your SanDisk SSD, did you have any other HDDs or SSDs installed and powered up at the same time? Did you use that SSD as an OS drive in the past, or was it new, or formatted after a previous Windows installation?

You could try booting from your Windows installation media, and select Repair from the first screen that offers Repair or Install.
    Uh huh. 2 or more drives during install and now one is missing or altered.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information