Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: ASrock z87 OC Formula wont read optical drive

clarrichard is offline Junior Member

Default ASrock z87 OC Formula wont read optical drive

I did this build last night with the ASRock z87 OC formula but it wont read the optical drive to install windows. IN the UEFI Bios it reads that it is there and I selected it as my primary boot drive(even tho it shouldnt matter). Everything seems to be operating correctly, everything in the BIOS reads all the installed hardware and gives me real time voltages. It is an old optical drive from a computer that hasnt been booted up in almost 2 years, im thinking it MIGHT be the problem but then again the drive seems to be working, its been detected by the BIOS opens and spins. I found this thread with the same problem but nothing seemed to have been answered.
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/5...c-formula.html

The OLED screen will switch from USB HOTPLUG and Operating system. PLEASE HELP!

Default Re: ASrock z87 OC Formula wont read optical drive

Might seem silly of my asking yet you didn't mention, but do you have that drive connected to one of the ASMedia SATA ports instead of the Intel controlled ones?

ASMedia controllers and ODD's, well, some instances they work, some they seemingly do not.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

I have the optical drive installed into one of the bottom SATA inputs. I believe it is in SATA A3 (at work right now). I know for a fact it is in one of the A1-A4. My SSD is installed in SATA 3_0. There is no information in the manual telling me which SATA ports are ASMedia ports.

Quote Originally Posted by clarrichard View Post
    I have the optical drive installed into one of the bottom SATA inputs. I believe it is in SATA A3 (at work right now). I know for a fact it is in one of the A1-A4. My SSD is installed in SATA 3_0. There is no information in the manual telling me which SATA ports are ASMedia ports.
    A3, signifies to me that's an ASMedia controlled port.

Ok So I was just looking at the SPECS and it says there are 4 ASmedia so it would make sense they are labled A1-A4. Thank you. I will check it in a few hours when I get home and I will make a reply to this thread as soon as I can.

Thread Information