Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Odd Temperature Behavior




  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    25

    Default Odd Temperature Behavior

    Hi,

    I've got the ASrock FM2A88X-itx+ with a A10-7850K APU and I'm noticing something odd.

    When I'm using the PC like right now when I'm typing the CPUTIN temperature is around 40c and the package temperature is 65c. I also notice that the cores voltage is between 0.76 to 0.94 and sometimes it spikes to 1.4. If I leave the pc and screen turns off after 10 minutes and then after some time lets say half hour I go to the pc I see my temps being CPUTIN 60+ and Package 90c. In order to monitor this some more I installed HWmonitor pro and after my screen turned off I connected to HWmonitor from my laptop and noticed that the cores voltage is stable always at 1.41.

    Why in the mother of god does the voltage increase when the screen is off and no one is touching the PC???? Any ideas what I can do to stop this? I need to have this pc on 24/7 and this causes a problem.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    parsec's Avatar
    parsec is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Third stone from the sun
    Posts
    4,824

    Default Re: Odd Temperature Behavior

    When the monitor signal turns off, which is just from the Windows power plan, "Turn off the display after" setting I assume (right?), and you then wake the display by moving the mouse (right?), you don't have a login/password screen displayed, do you?

    Does HWMonitor show CPU usage (I don't use it), as a percentage, usually by core/thread? My point is does it seem as if the CPU usage increases when the display shuts off?

    There was a question in this forum a while ago, where the user would logoff from his account, which would cause the Windows login process to run until someone logged in again. He noticed the CPU usage was at 50% while the login process was running. That sounds similar to your situation, at least the CPU usage increase, if not the same way it started.

    I don't get an increase in CPU usage when my display is shut off, but that is just with the "Turn off the display after" setting, with no login screen.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,675

    Default Re: Odd Temperature Behavior

    Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    I don't get an increase in CPU usage when my display is shut off, but that is just with the "Turn off the display after" setting, with no login screen.
    Not adding anything here. slekkas the OP here, did mention office use in his other Thread/posts while building and trying to rid the case of heat generated. Until he changed cases and up-sized to that drop dead gorgeous one he's using now.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    25

    Default Re: Odd Temperature Behavior

    Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    When the monitor signal turns off, which is just from the Windows power plan, "Turn off the display after" setting I assume (right?), and you then wake the display by moving the mouse (right?), you don't have a login/password screen displayed, do you?

    Does HWMonitor show CPU usage (I don't use it), as a percentage, usually by core/thread? My point is does it seem as if the CPU usage increases when the display shuts off?

    There was a question in this forum a while ago, where the user would logoff from his account, which would cause the Windows login process to run until someone logged in again. He noticed the CPU usage was at 50% while the login process was running. That sounds similar to your situation, at least the CPU usage increase, if not the same way it started.

    I don't get an increase in CPU usage when my display is shut off, but that is just with the "Turn off the display after" setting, with no login screen.
    I do have to put a password after wake. I don't think it logs off but only locks. What you say actually makes some sense. I will try to remove this and make only the screen turn off. If that's the problem then it sucks. If I remove the password my kids will be high jacking the pc any chance they get☺

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,675

    Default Re: Odd Temperature Behavior

    Wondering if Hibernate runs any extra cycles while idling.

    Doesn't hibernate req a PW too?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    25

    Default Re: Odd Temperature Behavior

    Just for testing purposes I switched the power plan to Balanced from High Performance and removed the password. Do you guys know if changing the power plan to balance will affect my pc's performance? Does the pc slow down?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,675

    Default Re: Odd Temperature Behavior

    Balanced holds it low and pushes up to BIOS config'd when needed. Or supposed to anyways.

  8. #8
    parsec's Avatar
    parsec is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Third stone from the sun
    Posts
    4,824

    Default Re: Odd Temperature Behavior

    I would use Windows Sleep, and add a password screen to it. But I bet you are seeing that weird logon screen process that causes 50% CPU usage, OMG is that weird. I forget how that thread turned out, I don't think it was resolved. But at least you are another user that is confirming that this happens when the logon screen process is running.

    Of course in Sleep if the mouse or keyboard is touched, the PC wakes up. You can shut that off and just have the PC power button to wake from Sleep, but kids can figure that out too.

    Sleep and Hibernate shut off power to the CPU, graphics, etc, except it keeps the RAM memory alive, that contains the booted desktop processor and memory state as an image in RAM memory. Hibernate also writes that image to the OS drive, so if power is lost to the PC, it can still wake from Hibernation. Sleep does not write to disk, so if power is lost, you must reboot.

    I forget, are you using Windows 7 or 8?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    25

    Default Re: Odd Temperature Behavior

    Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    I would use Windows Sleep, and add a password screen to it. But I bet you are seeing that weird logon screen process that causes 50% CPU usage, OMG is that weird. I forget how that thread turned out, I don't think it was resolved. But at least you are another user that is confirming that this happens when the logon screen process is running.

    Of course in Sleep if the mouse or keyboard is touched, the PC wakes up. You can shut that off and just have the PC power button to wake from Sleep, but kids can figure that out too.

    Sleep and Hibernate shut off power to the CPU, graphics, etc, except it keeps the RAM memory alive, that contains the booted desktop processor and memory state as an image in RAM memory. Hibernate also writes that image to the OS drive, so if power is lost to the PC, it can still wake from Hibernation. Sleep does not write to disk, so if power is lost, you must reboot.

    I forget, are you using Windows 7 or 8?
    I need the pc to be accessible all the time so sleep is not an option. I'm using mysql database on it.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    25

    Default Re: Odd Temperature Behavior

    So I tested the pc with power option set to balance and removed password and it's nice and cool. Of course now my kids open the pc with every chance they get:-(. That really sucks. Hopefully someone will have an alternative solution.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •