Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: 960GM-VGS3 FX AM3+ and EVGA GTX 280 not working together.

DJ_LJ is offline Junior Member

Default 960GM-VGS3 FX AM3+ and EVGA GTX 280 not working together.

An EVGA GTX 280 will not work on mine, but will work in a dell GX280 A Radeon X600 will work thu. I know big difference between the two, but only other card I have to do test. So, I know both cards work, and both pcie slots are good.
    On the ASRock board the GTX280 graphics card doesn't show up anywhere in win 7 ultimate 64. I have tried setting PCI-E to main video output. Also, disabling on board does no good either.

Motherboard: ASRock 960GM-VGS3 FX AM3+ w/ Radeon 3000
    Processor/CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.8GHz (4.4GHz turbo) Six-Core
    Memory/RAM: 4GB(1x4GB) DDR3 1333MHz
    500 watt power

GX280 Intel P4 3.0 Ghz 800Mhz
    PC2-6400 2.5 Gig Ram
    500 watt power
    Win XP

So why, in one and not the other the GTX 280 works? And should I use AMD type video cards only on the ASRock? Or should it not matter

blakeandsons is offline Junior Member

Default Re: 960GM-VGS3 FX AM3+ and EVGA GTX 280 not working together.

Doesn't matter, the better question here would be why are you running 1x4gb of ram? Single channel ddr3 133 would kill performance opposed to dual channel.

If the system loads using the gtx 280 and you have video but it just doesn't show up in device manager etc.. Un install the video driver, reboot into safe mode and use a driver cleaner from guru3d.com, reboot and install updated drivers for the gtx. Hope this helps as it sounds like you do have video from your post. Sorry no links on cell phone.

Only 1 stick of ram for now because that is what came with the board. I plan on in time maxing it out to 16Gig. Been watching some on ebay.
    Now on to the issue. I get nothing when I put the GTX 280 on the ASRock board. Only get video if I use onboard.

Only other thing I can think of unless the 6 or 8 pin power connector isn't plugged into the card is to remove battery from mobo to reset, remove the card and reinstall before powering up the pc again. If you have more then 1 output (dvi, dvi2, hdmi etc..) try them all.

Both 6 and 8 pin are connected. Both DVI ports work while in the dell. So, I know they work. And the s video ( I think it is) I have nothing to hook it up to. Just get nothing from either one while in the ASRock. I have not removed battery yet, but I did do a cmos clear per the jumper pins. Had no choice one time to get back to default when I shut off onboard video thinking that was it. After that card was removed and reseated. Still no go. So, does removing the battery do anything different then just jumping the pins for cmos clear? If so, then I will do that next.
    Last edited by DJ_LJ; 03-30-2014 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Forgot 1 detail

Well from all the specs I'm seeing on the board and gpu.. they are compatible. Are you using the same power supply on the ASRock that was in the dell powering the GTX 280?
    Is the GPU fan spinning when you power the system up?
    Take a look here and see if this is a possibility Computer won't boot up with GTX 280 - Overclockers Forums

Yes, same power supply. I had an old PSU that I cut the wires off of and cut 24 pin connector to where the half circle and square pins lined up to match, to make a 6pin and 8pin. Rewired to match what you get from EVGA. I noticed on that other forum that the + and - are backwards from the two different types. So, I rechecked my wiring job. I did the wiring correct. Fan and green light on GTX280 come on. I even thought maybe not enough power. So, I used the 250 watt that came with case for the motherboard and used the 500 watt just for the GTX280 by jumping green and black to turn it on. This trick works in the dell, but not on the ARock, still no video. At the moment I'm only using only the 500 watt in the dell and it works. I tried just the 500watt only on the ASRock system and the fan and green light come on but no video.

Update I have a Antec High-Current Gamer 750w Power Supply ordered. So, I should know in a week or so if that helps. Get back to you then.

Got my new power supply but was still not giving any video. So, I sent board back and they did test on it. The PCI-e was working just fine. They told me that the card must of been shorting out and to bend or cut off plate where it touches the bottom of case and make sure no mounting points are touching board where there is not any mounting holes. I should of known this. Since it working just fine on another board. I will update with the results when I get the board back.

I tried a couple more things and could never get the GTX280 to work on the ASRock board. So, I said the heck with it and resold it. Makes no sense at all but a AMD ATI Radeon HD 6570 fired right up with no problems. Happy with this card for now, and if I do update I will continue to buy AMD/ATI cards for this motherboard.

Thread Information