Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Downgrade Bios X79 Extreme4

Default Downgrade Bios X79 Extreme4

Hi all, I want to downgrade the bios of my Asrock Xtreme 4 X79....since I updated the bios to newer versions I cant OC my i7 3820 and have a lot of stabilty issues. cold boots, etc....I have seen that Asrock recommends no to downgrade but I think its essential to return to the stability had with previous versions.....could you please tell me if its posible...any damage if done?....has anybody tried it?
    Thank you all

Regards

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Downgrade Bios X79 Extreme4

I would try running the 3.20 BIOS update again, and this time do not remove the USB flash drive until after Windows completely reboots, since during the reboot after the BIOS update seems to be complete, the Intel IME firmware is updated during the reboot. Users of X79 boards with SB-E processors report that they are able to OC after using the IVB-E compatible BIOS.

You also need to run the new Intel IME software installer after this BIOS update, as well as the INF file installation program. Those files are listed on the BIOS update page for your board.

First of all thank you very much Parsec for your quick response.....I flashed to 3.00 and IME was resintalled (this didnt happen when I flashed 3.20).....right now I am testing the OC and looks good but not pretty sure.....As I mentioned I am testing....I would let you know any progress about it
    Much appreciated your help

best

Edited: Bios 3.00 didnt worked fine...flashed to 2.10 (attached) and reached 4.8 easily.... 2.10 ---> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3q...it?usp=sharing
    No errors at boot maybe because I flashed 1st 3.00 ------------>https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3q...it?usp=sharing

Thank you all again!
    Last edited by PLAY911; 04-06-2014 at 03:23 AM.

Interesting, this data point seems to indicate that the IVB-E compatible BIOS will not work with a SB-E processor on this ASRock board. The Intel IME firmware must be right in order to OC.

We haven't had much information about this situation yet, so I'm still not 100% certain that the IVB-E BIOS with IVB-E firmware will work with SB-E CPUs. No offense to you at all, but once the IME firmware is corrupted, it's hard to fix it.

Glad you were able to do that and fix your problem, which actually is not what we have been led to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Interesting, this data point seems to indicate that the IVB-E compatible BIOS will not work with a SB-E processor on this ASRock board. The Intel IME firmware must be right in order to OC.

We haven't had much information about this situation yet, so I'm still not 100% certain that the IVB-E BIOS with IVB-E firmware will work with SB-E CPUs. No offense to you at all, but once the IME firmware is corrupted, it's hard to fix it.

Glad you were able to do that and fix your problem, which actually is not what we have been led to believe.
    HI again....new update....I have reinstalled 3.20 and now it seems it Works fine BUT with RAMS set to 1600 instead of 1800...Asrock at some point of their bos updating removed one of the options for RAMS.....at the beginig we had Auto, Standard, XMP 1 and xmp 2, but they removed STANDARD (WHY???) that was the option that best worked for me. Now I am happy with 3.20 but with lower RAM speeds....so basically its due to RAM compatibility more tan CPU
    Hope this helps
    Thank you Parsec
    Thank you all

Best
    Last edited by PLAY911; 04-06-2014 at 03:57 PM.

Thank you, I hope I did help you somehow.

You can find this note in your board's memory compatibility list:

Note4:Due to the configuration of CPU, the default speeds of DDR3 2333/2300/2200/2000/1800 MHz will operate at DDR3 2133/2133/2133/1866/1600 MHz.

If it worked for you in the past, I'm a bit surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    You can find this note in your board's memory compatibility list:Note4:Due to the configuration of CPU, the default speeds of DDR3 2333/2300/2200/2000/1800 MHz will operate at DDR3 2133/2133/2133/1866/1600 MHz.If it worked for you in the past, I'm a bit surprised.
    Sorry I dont understand this note.....my RAMS are this F3-14900CL​9Q-16GBZL but I cant make them work at 1800

Thank you!

Thread Information