Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Asrock 990fx killer - mouse in bios and boot up

lon3wolf2002 is offline Junior Member

Default Asrock 990fx killer - mouse in bios and boot up

In the bios for this board when I look at the connected devices in the HW monitor it shows the mouse as a keyboard, is this correct? Also when the PC gets to the Windows logo screen all USB devices are shut off for about 10 seconds before becoming active again is this also correct (never noticed this happening on my old board or it was quicker re-detecting the USB's back in so did not notice)? Thanks in advance and hello to all.

Windows 7 64bit
    FX 8350
    HD 7870 x 2
    CoolerMaster UCP 900W

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Asrock 990fx killer - mouse in bios and boot up

The ASRock HW Monitor, or really System Browser, is not perfect in detecting devices, I have seen other small mistakes, but that is purely System Browser's fault, and is nothing to worry about. It can be difficult to accurately detect what it connected at the BIOS level. I still see the small mistakes when using System Browser in my board's ASR A-Tuning software, running in Windows, which includes a System Browser.

For example, my ASR Z87 board has two Ethernet ports and NIC chips, which I have combined into a Team, with two network cables connected. System Browser only shows one Ethernet port connected, but shows the speed as 2000 Mb/s, which is the total of two 1000 Mb/s ports. A RAID 0 array of two SSDs is not detected as two drives connected to two SATA ports, as is of course necessary. Only one of the two SATA ports being used is shown as connected, and the drive information is not shown.

The USB issue you have is strange, are you using a USB mouse and/or keyboard, and are you saying they don't work for about 10 seconds?

Thanks for the response first time on UEFI bios so wanted to check the HW monitor thing, as for the KBAM issue as windows gets to the logo screen not the logon screen all the USB devices shut off for about 10-12 seconds, power back on windows then continues to the logon screen. Not noticed this behaviour on any of my previous setups .

What USB ports are you using that/when you see this? USB 3.0 ports? Fatal1ty Mouse Port?
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    What USB ports are you using that/when you see this? USB 3.0 ports? Fatal1ty Mouse Port?

I have tried the mouse in all ports for both "issues" even in the designated mouse port it still shows as a keyboard in HWmonitor but as replied earlier that is probably due to hardware detection with the monitor. The USB thing on Windows loading happens again in every port and with different peripherals/mice attached (Gigabyte m8000x mouse is the one I'm using, my Diablo 3 mouse craps out intermittently since a firmware upgrade to the mouse, why does this mouse have a firmware upgrade function lol) from gaming to standard 3 button mice. I have the Eltron USB drivers installed. Thanks.

Added my Specs to my profile.

Quote Originally Posted by lon3wolf2002 View Post
    Added my Specs to my profile.
    Thank you!

Is this a new build?

Yeah got board 2 weeks ago (the rest is between 2 yrs and to 6 months old apart from mouse which is under a week old) but due to updating the firmware on that damned Diablo mouse I have been uninstalling re-installing Windows for a week not thinking about the flash, doh. Only just started getting some real decent use out of the PC :D want to try some overclocking soon but no hope with that cooler on the 8350 (some decent research done by me before buying.............not), want to try the NH=D14 when I can get one.

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    Thank you!

Is this a new build?

Edit to my above response, PSU is about 5 years old, not 100% sure with it and the 8350, but seems ok for the past couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by lon3wolf2002 View Post
    Edit to my above response, PSU is about 5 years old, not 100% sure with it and the 8350, but seems ok for the past couple of years.
    I tend to be unforgiving when considering PSU's for MY personal use so take what I say here with a grain of salt. It's simply my observations were I to consider this PSU with what you today have hardware wise. Nothing more is meant or intoned towards you personally. Please, don't take my words for anything but opinion. And mine no less, for whatever that's worth.

IMO you're close there with this PSU now, today. I did some Google Fu and read some of the many many reviews of the RS-900-AAAA-A3 that you have. The two below caught my attention. One good, one not so.

One, HERE, is pretty close to representing your system now and showed it has great regulation at loads in a comparable system as yours..

The second one, HERE, is disconcerting in that it states the +12V1 rail powering more than would be lead to believe. I'll quote below what they determine and in doing so make you aware of how distribution is with the rails so that you can make a best call on what +12Vx rails you use there to power just what they may/need.
    The specifications state that the first 12V rail is for the ATX12V connector, but it actually is used for the 24-pin motherboard connector, the ATX12V 4-pin connector, and the various Molex/SATA connectors. The added amperage makes sense in that case, as much of the system will be powered through that rail. The second 12V rail is for the EPS12V 8-pin connector, while the two remaining 12V rails are for the six PEG connectors.
    You stated you wondered about it, "not 100% sure" , but I don't think that meant you were having issues that you thought are power related. I quoted the above there so you are aware of it's distribution rails. Make good use of that knowledge in connecting your 2 gfx cards and HDD/ODDs and it should be ok. It's just that I'm never satisfied with always having that nagging feeling over my shoulder when and if power issues arise so were I you I'd be looking at a new one.

And I'm sure you're aware it isn't rated SLI or Cross-Fire.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information