Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Z77 OC Formula - Disable Marvell 91XX Hot Plug?

Ken429 is offline Senior Member

Default Z77 OC Formula - Disable Marvell 91XX Hot Plug?

I can't seem to find any place in the BIOS to "Disable" the Hot Plug option for the 4 Marvell ports on this MB. Can someone please point me in the right direction. I have been chasing the
    "The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load for the device SWD\WPDBUSENUM\{9fdee7ef-99b2-11e3-beb4-806e6f6e6963}#0000000008100000."

Warning message in the Event Log on and off for many months and have finally figured out it is the Hot Plug Enabled Option that is causing the Warnings. I Disabled Hot Plug on all the Intel SATA Ports and cut the number of warnings in half. I'm still getting three and I have three drives connected to the Marvell Ports! I think I'm getting close to a solution! Since I really don't want to remove the hard drives on the Marvell ports it would be nice to Disable the Hot Plug capability. Help would be greatly appreciated.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Z77 OC Formula - Disable Marvell 91XX Hot Plug?

Have you checked Device Manager, the entries for each of the drives, normally in the Policies tab?

Why would you even get warnings about hot plugging for those drives, unless they don't support it. Or are you using IDE as the SATA mode, instead of AHCI? IDE mode does not support hot plugging.

I hope you are using AHCI mode, which was originally designed to enhance HDD performance.

Why are you using the Marvell SATA ports, because they are "SATA III" (which they aren't really)? Not one so called SATA III HDD in the world can surpass SATA II speeds. IMO you'd get better and more stable performance using the Intel SATA II ports on your board, with no loss in speed whatsoever.

See Attached - Device Manager does not give me an Option to turn off Hot Plug for hard drives connected to the Marvell Ports. Yes, I also looked in the Device Manager Entry for the Marvell Controller(s) and there is on option to turn off Hot Plug there either. Yes, I have all the Ports set to AHCI! So...I took the "if something gets in your way go around it" approach. I connected all the Raptors I had on the Marvell Ports and connected them to the Intel SATA2 Ports. That made all the Warning Messages in the Event Log go away. I'm sure I will never see a difference in the real world but there is a slight difference in OTTO performance. I would include that Screen Shot too except this site only allows one at a time. Anyway, problem solved. Thanks for making me do what had to be done! But...if someone knows how to Disable Hot Plug on the Marvell Controller(s) on a Z77 OC Formula running Windows 8.1 I'm still curious.
    Attached Images Attached Images Z77 OC Formula - Disable Marvell 91XX Hot Plug?-policies-png 

Be careful with the below links info. You're in the registry and I don't like guiding folks there.

Two things you might try if you haven't already. One is update the Marvell driver as this is usually related to BIOS/Driver interactions that you see them(they are showing as) as removable. Second would be to disconnect all the drives from the Marvell controller, restart back into Win, and then uninstall the Marvell SATA xxxxx Controller and it's driver if/when asked from Storage Controllers in Device Manager. And reinstall the latest Marvell drivers.

How can I remove the option to eject SATA drives from the Windows 7 tray icon? - Super User
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Thanks for the Suggestions and the Link on how to kill the Hot Plug via the Registry. One would think that since this issue has been around for a long time Marvell/ASRock would make it available as an option in the BIOS (like Intel) or in the Device Manager like it appears to be available on other configurations based on the Googles I've done chasing this issue.

parsec is offline Senior Member

You could try using the standard Windows 8 AHCI driver, storahci. That can easily be done via the Update Driver option in Device Manager for the Marvell SATA controller.

Choose Browse my computer for driver software, and then Let me pick from a list.... You should see an entry for Standard AHCI driver, which is the MS Windows 8 (and 8.1) AHCI driver.

The lack of a hot plugging option on the Marvell or other third party SATA controllers might be caused by those controllers being the ones used for the eSATA connection(s) on a mother board. So someone would then disable hot plugging and the eSATA port would not work, and start complaining about it.

You must mean ATTO performance, not OTTO, I was wondering what the heck OTTO is. ATTO tends to be the sunny day, Prozac performance benchmark IMO. Run AS SSD some time, which is the opposite, worst case, depression inducing benchmark, which may take 15 minutes to run on a HDD. Sorry, I'm a SSD snob...

Thread Information