Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ASRock 990FX KILLER ATX chassis fan ports.

Default Re: ASRock 990FX KILLER ATX chassis fan ports.

Quote Originally Posted by Farajah View Post
    The power supply would have been easier, .........
    hehe I hear ya. When you do try with two sticks, as you have the power disconnected, also clear the BIOS before connecting back to power/wall.

If, if, it does the same thing with just two in A2 and B2, take all the memory out and beginning with DDR3_A2 place just one stick in DDR3_A2 and test. Fail? Move this one stick to DDR3_B1, then to DDR3_B2, and finally to DDR3_A1, testing in between each move of this one stick among the different slots.

It's late Sunday night so I'll be calling it a day soon here. I'll look again in the am. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    hehe I hear ya. When you do try with two sticks, as you have the power disconnected, also clear the BIOS before connecting back to power/wall.

If, if, it does the same thing with just two in A2 and B2, take all the memory out and beginning with DDR3_A2 place just one stick in DDR3_A2 and test. Fail? Move this one stick to DDR3_B1, then to DDR3_B2, and finally to DDR3_A1, testing in between each move of this one stick among the different slots.

It's late Sunday night so I'll be calling it a day soon here. I'll look again in the am. Good luck.
    If it's not the power supply, though, shouldn't the lights on my mouse and on my wireless card have come on?

Quote Originally Posted by Farajah View Post
    If it's not the power supply, though, shouldn't the lights on my mouse and on my wireless card have come on?
    Went through all the RAM ports. Still nothing.

parsec is offline Senior Member

I assume you confused the LED power cable on the large fan that connects to the LED switch on the case for the fan power connector. Reading the manual for any new piece of hardware is essential, as dumbed - down things like PC parts picker only provide the most basic compatibility combinations.

Do you have Windows installed on this PC yet? It sounds like you might be connecting and disconnecting cables, etc, with the power supply on at the same time. If so, that is the wrong way to do things, that should never be done. You can damage the mother board and the other parts by inserting or removing them with the power on.

If you don't have Windows installed, and/or the drivers for the USB 3.0 ports installed, you won't have power supplied to the mouse. Any mouse is fine on a USB 2.0 port, the amount of data they send is minimal and I highly doubt the mouse uses a USB 3.0 cable and connector, which is different that a USB cable and connector. Yes the two are compatible, but USB 3.0 uses more wires and connections on the connector, and using a USB 2.0 cable/connector on a USB 3.0 port does not make the device faster. Only the USB 2.0 ports are guaranteed to work until Windows is installed.

Your G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) Model F3-1600C10D-16GAO memory is not listed in your board's memory support list. I don't see any G.SKILL "AO" models listed at all in the memory support list, and none of the few 8GB DIMMs in the list are made by G.SKILL. G.SKILL may say the memory is compatible, but the final compatibility is found in a board's memory support list. You may get lucky still and the memory will work, but the chances are that it won't.

Try only two sticks at first, in slots A2 and B2.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    I assume you confused the LED power cable on the large fan that connects to the LED switch on the case for the fan power connector. Reading the manual for any new piece of hardware is essential, as dumbed - down things like PC parts picker only provide the most basic compatibility combinations.

Do you have Windows installed on this PC yet? It sounds like you might be connecting and disconnecting cables, etc, with the power supply on at the same time. If so, that is the wrong way to do things, that should never be done. You can damage the mother board and the other parts by inserting or removing them with the power on.

If you don't have Windows installed, and/or the drivers for the USB 3.0 ports installed, you won't have power supplied to the mouse. Any mouse is fine on a USB 2.0 port, the amount of data they send is minimal and I highly doubt the mouse uses a USB 3.0 cable and connector, which is different that a USB cable and connector. Yes the two are compatible, but USB 3.0 uses more wires and connections on the connector, and using a USB 2.0 cable/connector on a USB 3.0 port does not make the device faster. Only the USB 2.0 ports are guaranteed to work until Windows is installed.

Your G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) Model F3-1600C10D-16GAO memory is not listed in your board's memory support list. I don't see any G.SKILL "AO" models listed at all in the memory support list, and none of the few 8GB DIMMs in the list are made by G.SKILL. G.SKILL may say the memory is compatible, but the final compatibility is found in a board's memory support list. You may get lucky still and the memory will work, but the chances are that it won't.

I did try it with just two stickss, then one cycling through all the slots. Still nothing. I don't change or remove anything connected to the mother board or power supply while it's still on.

As for the OS, I don't have one installed at the moment as that would require me to be able to see what's on the screen, which I can't do because nothing is displayed.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post

I also went through the supported memory list. Most of the eight gig sticks it supported were either out of stock and/or had bad reviews. Things keep coming back to to the mobo. After trying to plug my mouse into one of the USB 2.0 slots, I still got no sign of power going to the mouse.
    NXZT Phantom Enthusiast Full Tower
    ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer AM3+ ATX
    AMD 8350 FX
    1 TB VelociRaptor 3.5" Internal HDD 10000 RPM
    Antec TruePower Classic series TP-650C 650W 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Power Supply
    EVGA 04G-P4-2768-KR GeForce GTX 760 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support SC 4GB w/ EVGA ACX Cooler Video Card
    G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C10D-16GAO (x4)
    Asus PCE-N53 PCI-E Adapter Dual-band Wireless-N600
    LG Black 14X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 5X DVD-RAM 12X BD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA BDXL Blu-ray Burner, Bare Drive, 3D Play Back (WH14NS40) - OEM

I'm nearly stumped. Do you have a readily available PSU you can swap in to this build? One that's enough umphh to power it? Possible a friend might loan you one?

And this one might seem off the wall but it happens here on occasion. Your monitor, if it has an Input Select button, is the monitor looking for a signal on the correct input?

I do know of one I might be able to try later. As for the monitor, it cycles through inputs until it gets something. I've tried an HDMI cable, VGA, and DVI

Ok, good. The monitor self-cycles looking for input. Some must be aided by repeated button presses.

Yea, after re-reading all that you've wrote concerning this temporarily swapping in a PSU to test with seems due process at this point.

That your HDD led indicated it wasn't receiving power/spinning up is something that points away from the MB. Not saying the memory is or is not compatible but there is an underlying reason that seems needs addressed first and am hoping that checking that(psu) that it cures whatever else is going on.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Yo 'dawg, I doubt this PC has even passed POST once yet, due to the memory, so why would there be any video, even with repeated button presses...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information