Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ASRock 990FX KILLER ATX chassis fan ports.

Default ASRock 990FX KILLER ATX chassis fan ports.

Let me first start by saying that I have very little faith that anyone from the company's tech support will even respond to this.

I'm on my second ASRock motherboard, the first one having to be sent back because the CPU dock didn't lock in the CPU. With this motherboard it's impossible to plug in the chassis fan connectors. PC part picker says that the motherboard and a pretty much identical case from the same manufacturer should be compatible. My case is a NZXT Phantom Enthusiast Full Tower. My motherboard is an ASRock 99FX Killer. It seems like a stupid question given my situation, but are these two pieces of equipment actually compatible? If not, what case is?

As a side note, I'm very angry about this situation as it's taken me seven months to get all of the components together, several weeks of which have been spent waiting on ASRock's merchandise.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: ASRock 990FX KILLER ATX chassis fan ports.

Quote Originally Posted by Farajah View Post
    Let me first start by saying that I have very little faith that anyone from the company's tech support will even respond to this.

I'm on my second ASRock motherboard, the first one having to be sent back because the CPU dock didn't lock in the CPU. With this motherboard it's impossible to plug in the chassis fan connectors. PC part picker says that the motherboard and a pretty much identical case from the same manufacturer should be compatible. My case is a NZXT Phantom Enthusiast Full Tower. My motherboard is an ASRock 99FX Killer. It seems like a stupid question given my situation, but are these two pieces of equipment actually compatible? If not, what case is?

As a side note, I'm very angry about this situation as it's taken me seven months to get all of the components together, several weeks of which have been spent waiting on ASRock's merchandise.
    I have no idea what a "CPU dock" is. Try Googling CPU Dock and see what you get.

I don't own your board, but I do own a NZXT Phantom case. I have no problem connecting its fans to my ASRock board. A quick check of your board reveals it has the industry standard three and four pin fan connectors. Any PC fan you bought would work on those headers, with the usual need to match four pin PWM fans to a four pin PWM fan header. although they usually work fine on three pin fan headers.

Some PC case manufactures will use proprietary fan connectors on the fans they provide with the case. Corsair does that on their 500R case. My NZXT Phantom case is about two years old, but it is possible that NZXT changed their fan connections to a proprietary connection. Our case has a built in five fan controller, but I can and do use any PC fan I choose with that controller. I've purchased several of the large NZXT fans used in this case at a local store, and its connectors are the standard three pin connectors used on 99.9% of PC fans.

When a PC case manufacture uses proprietary fan connectors on the supplied fans, then the owner is stuck using them as the manufacture intended. I have never seen a mother board, including yours, that does not use the industry standard PC fan connections. There is nothing unique or different about your board's fan connections. If your case's fans use different connectors, that is the PC case manufacture's issue, not the mother board manufacture.

So I am at a loss knowing exactly what the connectors are you are having problems with. Some fans have the large four pin molex connectors that have no chance of connection to any mother board, but can be connected directly to a PC power supply cable.

Where are you ordering your ASRock board from? You seem to be in the USA, and for example Newegg has the ASRock Fatality 990FX in stock now:

Newegg.com - ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Gaming Motherboard

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    I have no idea what a "CPU dock" is. Try Googling CPU Dock and see what you get.

I don't own your board, but I do own a NZXT Phantom case. I have no problem connecting its fans to my ASRock board. A quick check of your board reveals it has the industry standard three and four pin fan connectors. Any PC fan you bought would work on those headers, with the usual need to match four pin PWM fans to a four pin PWM fan header. although they usually work fine on three pin fan headers.

Some PC case manufactures will use proprietary fan connectors on the fans they provide with the case. Corsair does that on their 500R case. My NZXT Phantom case is about two years old, but it is possible that NZXT changed their fan connections to a proprietary connection. Our case has a built in five fan controller, but I can and do use any PC fan I choose with that controller. I've purchased several of the large NZXT fans used in this case at a local store, and its connectors are the standard three pin connectors used on 99.9% of PC fans.

When a PC case manufacture uses proprietary fan connectors on the supplied fans, then the owner is stuck using them as the manufacture intended. I have never seen a mother board, including yours, that does not use the industry standard PC fan connections. There is nothing unique or different about your board's fan connections. If your case's fans use different connectors, that is the PC case manufacture's issue, not the mother board manufacture.

So I am at a loss knowing exactly what the connectors are you are having problems with. Some fans have the large four pin molex connectors that have no chance of connection to any mother board, but can be connected directly to a PC power supply cable.

Where are you ordering your ASRock board from? You seem to be in the USA, and for example Newegg has the ASRock Fatality 990FX in stock now:

Newegg.com - ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Gaming Motherboard
    I bought that exact model from Newegg. My issue with it is that the first Chassis fan connector has four prongs, the others all have three prongs. The connections coming from the chassis all have three prongs in them, making them seemingly completely incompatible. The chassis connectors all managed to attach to the previous motherboard just fine, but not to this one.[ATTACH]undefined[/ATTACH]
    Attached Images Attached Images ASRock 990FX KILLER ATX chassis fan ports.-20140406_001550-jpg 

And here's a picture of two of the chassis fan ports on the motherboard.
    ASRock 990FX KILLER ATX chassis fan ports.-20140406_001757-jpg

The connections coming from the chassis all have three prongs in them, making them seemingly completely incompatible.
    That's on purpose/by design as NZXT wants you to connect the chassis fans they provided to the cases 5ch fan controller they provided. Male ends on the fans, female ends(you hold there in fingers) from the controller

The chassis connectors all managed to attach to the previous motherboard just fine, but not to this one.
    I'm utterly stupefied by that one. You're saying the connector you hold in you fingers above fit your last motherboard?
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Two of the four fans can be connected to the controllers but the other two still have nothing to connect to

Look at the Phantom online manual and describe in the illustration #7, just what or where you might be missing there.

Okay, the fans are working. Now I need to figure out what to plug into tue HDD and Bluray drive

All the fans are working now, but the HDD power indicator is saying the HDD isn't getting power and the bluray drive opens and then immediately closes.

Unplugging the SATA3 cable stopped the dis tray from closing

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information