Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Slow boot ASRock Z87 EXTREME6. Logo stays for 10-14 seconds.

Default Slow boot ASRock Z87 EXTREME6. Logo stays for 10-14 seconds.

Hello,

I've configured my PC to implement an ultra fast boot, but the problem is that I get the ASRock logo for about 10-14 seconds before the Windows 8 logo appears, then it's just a second or two to get the lock screen.

I would like to know if there is a way to reduce this 10-14 seconds while the fan - Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H80i or the one included in the box Fractal Define R4 Black Pearl - starts sounding like a jet airplane before calming down and then getting the logo.

I believe it must be some settings in the BIOS but I am afraid to mess up something... I've seen videos of startups and the ASRock logo only appears for about a second or two.

Thank you every one!

These are the specs in case it might help:
    Motherboard: AsRock Z87 Extreme6
    Processor i7-4770K
    RAM G Skill Trident X DDR3 2400 PC3 16GB
    Fractal Define R4 Black Pearl
    Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H80i
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 OC 2GB GDDR5
    Samsung 840 SSD 250 GB

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Slow boot ASRock Z87 EXTREME6. Logo stays for 10-14 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Ibz View Post
    Hello,

I've configured my PC to implement an ultra fast boot, but the problem is that I get the ASRock logo for about 10-14 seconds before the Windows 8 logo appears, then it's just a second or two to get the lock screen.

I would like to know if there is a way to reduce this 10-14 seconds while the fan - Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H80i or the one included in the box Fractal Define R4 Black Pearl - starts sounding like a jet airplane before calming down and then getting the logo.

I believe it must be some settings in the BIOS but I am afraid to mess up something... I've seen videos of startups and the ASRock logo only appears for about a second or two.

Thank you every one!

These are the specs in case it might help:
    Motherboard: AsRock Z87 Extreme6
    Processor i7-4770K
    RAM G Skill Trident X DDR3 2400 PC3 16GB
    Fractal Define R4 Black Pearl
    Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H80i
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 OC 2GB GDDR5
    Samsung 840 SSD 250 GB

In the Boot menu, the Setup Prompt Timeout option can be set to one second, it usually is 15 seconds by default if I recall.

IMO, the fan control of any of the Corsair H-series CLC coolers is not very good, and does not function until a system boots. That is strange IMO, since the fan control does not depend on a Windows program, and it's built into the pump, with its own firmware. I have several H-series coolers, and never use their fan control. OTOH, you may be using the Corsair Link software, which definitely will not start until Windows boots.

I use PWM controlled fans connected directly to the board's PWM fan header. The CPU_FAN2 connector is a standard three pin header, and I use a different, three pin fan on it, if I have a push pull setup on a CLC. This configuration completely bypasses the Corsair fan control, and the fans run at whatever speed you have configured them to operate at as soon as the power button is pressed. Other configurations are possible, such as two PWM fans in push pull connected to the CPU_FAN1 header with a PWM fan splitter cable.

You said the fan controller in a Fractal R4 does not start working until the Windows logo is displayed? That does not make sense, the R4's fan controller is a simple three position switch that is not affected by anything the board is doing while booting, etc, you must be mistaken about that. Unless you have the R4's fan power connector connected to the mother board somehow, instead of directly to the PSU as it should be.

It is also possible that using Ultra Fast boot might cause problems with the Corsair fan control. Or since Ultra Fast boot is so quick, Windows will start and the Corsair fan control will not be active until a while after Windows starts.

Thank you for you answer.

I don't think I completely understood though. Does it mean because of the Corsair fan, this issue cannot be solved unless I change it for PWM contolled fans? That would be annoying...

The Setup Prompt Timeout is already set to one second in my BIOS boot menu. I guess I didn't express myself correctly, I didn't mean that the Fractal R4 fan does not start working until window logo is displayed... again what happens is this:

I push the power button, I immediately get the ASRock logo with the setup prompt menu in the lower right corner (press F2 or Del...etc.) after a couple of seconds one of the fans (I don't know which one, either the Fractal R4 built in or the Corsair H80i) starts spinning like crazy with a very loud sound for about 4-6 seconds, then it calms down and after 2 more seconds the setup prompt menu disappears and below the ASRock logo I get the Windows 8 "loading" animation (the spinning circles) which lasts max 1.5 seconds and I finally get into the Windows User/Password screen.

I really hope it can be solved because I had to format and reinstall everything to get an ultra fast boot and I just reduced the start-up time in 15 seconds compared to a normal boot.

Thanks again for your help,
    Luis

PS: I am not using any Corsair software. Would it help? How could it be that just after pressing the power, the fan detects whether i have any software installed or not?

parsec is offline Senior Member

I think I understand better now. The problem really is the loud fans for 4 - 6 seconds, correct?

Questions for you, just to be sure.

The H80i comes with two fans, are you using both?

Do you have the H80i fan or fans connected to the H80i's pump with the 'Y' cable that comes with the kit? That means that the H80i is controlling the fan's speed.

How are the R4 case fans connected to power? Do you use the fan controller switch on the R4? Is so, is the R4 fan controller connected to the power supply, or something else?

Sorry for the huge delay...

I'm back... let me answer after each of your comments:

I think I understand better now. The problem really is the loud fans for 4 - 6 seconds, correct?

No, that's not the problem 'per se' the problem is that my computer supposedly should make a fast boot in about 1-2 seconds, and it takes 30 seconds. The only clue I have that something is not going well is the loud noise of the fans.
    I've uploaded a video with the boot process:

http://www.imuse.es/IMG_0069.MOV

Questions for you, just to be sure.

The H80i comes with two fans, are you using both?
    I believe two, I've installed Corsair Link and this is what I get, apparently there are two H80i fans (named 3 and 4) and an ASRock System Fan.
    Slow boot ASRock Z87 EXTREME6. Logo stays for 10-14 seconds.-fans-jpg

Do you have the H80i fan or fans connected to the H80i's pump with the 'Y' cable that comes with the kit? That means that the H80i is controlling the fan's speed.
    No clue... but since I can control it with the Corsair Link software I believe that's the case.

How are the R4 case fans connected to power? Do you use the fan controller switch on the R4? Is so, is the R4 fan controller connected to the power supply, or something else?
    How can I answer to that? Please help... sorry to be so thick.

Thanks again for your help and apologies for taking so long in answering but I've been away and very busy.

Thread Information