Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Asrock

Default New to Asrock

Will the Asrock Z77 Extreme 6 support the Noctua NH-D14? thinking about buying this board but got to know the answer to this question first.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: New to Asrock

What does "support" mean? If you mean fit a socket 1150 CPU cooler mounting, yes it will.

Memory clearance is another story, and depends upon the DIMMs you use.

If by supports it you're asking does it fit, yes.

Though due to its size you'll most like have the same problems these three do:

Single review: Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler - Newegg.com

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!

Single review: ASRock Z77 Extreme6 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com Doesn't say it interferes but I'd imagine he's no diff than the first two above.

It's a great cooler yet along with that comes size.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

I appreciate you answers and yes the question was about will it fit. Right now I'm running a EVGA P200 Classified and I know about the dims. I just wanted to make sure that the cooler would fit. The pictures of the board are not very clear which I've seen at Newegg in regards to clearance . I don't know if you can still buy the D14, haven't really looked but I like it and it works great. All I have to do is get the upgrade for it to fit the 1156 socket and I can get that from Amazon. I have no problems with my case cause it will support just about anything. Thanks again

NewEgg has the NH-D14 on sale for $6.50USD Off, making it $72.00USD. For a limited time.

Unless you're aware of peculiar issues I'm not concerning this cooler and 1156 mounting, in just now looking at the online pdf manual at Noctua for this one it appears they incorporate 1156 in their SecuFirm2 mounting "system".

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    NewEgg has the NH-D14 on sale for $6.50USD Off, making it $72.00USD. For a limited time.

Unless you're aware of peculiar issues I'm not concerning this cooler and 1156 mounting, in just now looking at the online pdf manual at Noctua for this one it appears they incorporate 1156 in their SecuFirm2 mounting "system".
    First off It was my mistake referring to "1156". the Asrock Z77 Extreme6 is an LGA 1155 board and is downward compatible ie P7, etc.. The Noctua NH-D14 requires the NM-i115x mounting kit for it to fit the 1155 board. This can be purchased at Amazon.com which costs $7.95 for the parts and the shipping is more than the parts, or you can get it from Noctua for free BUT they require a picture of the motherboard, a picture of the CPU and the original purchase receipt for the NH-D14 and after all that it will take about two weeks(probably longer depending where you live) before you get the parts. So I decided to purchase my kit, a lot faster. With all that said I did not know that Intel went backwards. The last I saw, which I have to admit was about three or four months ago and I'm probably wrong on the time frame, was the 1155, now their making the 1150. If you don't keep up stuff you will definitely lose out. The board I'm using now is about 2 years old and I figured as old as I am I'll probably never need another board, WRONG. I powered up and no post, crap, so I emailed EVGA support and by the time they got back to me, which was actually the next day, I had already figured out what was wrong. Would you believe a SATA cable was bad? I'm not lying. The SATA cable to my secondary hard drive went bad and would not let the board post, so I changed the cable and everything is working just fine, how crazy is that? But because I rely heavily on my computer, I figured the smart thin to do is replace the mobo just to make sure. I've never had an ASROCK motherboard, so this is a new experience with this company and I've read good as well as the bad on this board but normally I go with my gut, and I have to admit I haven't been wrong yet and I've built a couple systems and their still running with no problems, figures my own would screw up.

Quote Originally Posted by xpac5896 View Post
    The Noctua NH-D14 requires the NM-i115x mounting kit for it to fit the 1155 board.
    That was true some time ago in the near past, but not now. That is why I'll re-post the link to the NH-D14 pdf Installation Manual that shows their new and now included SecuFirm2 mounting "system".
    Quote from the linked manual above:
    Code:
    First put the four bolts into the holes appropriate for your
    mainboard’s CPU socket.

A - LGA1366 (80mm)
    B - LGA1156/1155 (75mm)
    C - LGA775 (72mm)
    Also, please read:

Noctua NM-i115x kit for LGA1150 Haswell Heatsinks - FrostyTech News <- Dated Apr 05 2013

Below is only a smidgen of quotes from the above notice/article
    Noctua today announced that it will continue its tradition of supplying customers with its premium-class SecuFirm2™ mounting kits for novel platforms free of charge. While newer Noctua heatsinks support Haswell's LGA1150 socket out of the box, older models can now be upgraded with the new NM-i115x kit at no additional cost.
    Due to the spacing of the mounting holes being identical on LGA1150, LGA1155 and LGA1156, Noctua's previous SecuFirm2™ mounting systems for LGA115x also support Intel's upcoming 'Haswell' platform. The following Noctua coolers already include SecuFirm2™ mounting systems for LGA115x and can thus be used on LGA1150 mainboards without any upgrades or modifications: NH-C14, NH-D14, NH-C12P SE14, NH-L12, NH-L9i, NH-U12P SE2, NH-U9B SE2.
    Last edited by - wardog -; 04-10-2014 at 08:31 AM. Reason: add " <- Dated Apr 05 2013"
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Thank you WARDOG for that post, I guess somehow I missed the link to the manual. But in any case I've already bought the mounting kit and it has already shipped but alt least there will be some new parts I can probably use if nothing else. I guess that's what you get for not keeping up with stuff, I'm getting to old for this.

Quote Originally Posted by xpac5896 View Post
    I'm getting to old for this.
    Blahhhh, easy there with that "old' word. They're like the old you never forget how to ride a bicycle axiom. Only when we get a new one that the chain slips, we'll slide the axle back some again and again until we realize we prolly should've taken a link out to begin with.

parsec is offline Senior Member

By some miracle Intel kept the same mounting hole spacing for the CPU cooler, for mother boards using sockets 1156, 1155, and 1150. Noctua needs to add "1150" to item B, for the 75mm spacing. Not doing so might have caused more furor than the need for a new mother board for each of those processor sockets.

NOT that the processors for each socket are compatible with each other, but at least the mounting holes for the CPU cooler is.

Wow, three lousy millimeters difference between 775 and 1156, 1155, and 1150 mounting. Actually, at least some of the ASRock, Intel 7 series chipset boards (like Z77) have what ASRock calls the Combo Cooler Option (C.C.O.). That allows the use of socket 775 compatible CPU coolers on the socket 1155 boards. ASRock did not carry this feature over to their Intel 8 series chipset boards AFAIK.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information