Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: ASRock Z87 Extreme 6 MB / Intel Dual Onboard LAN

Question ASRock Z87 Extreme 6 MB / Intel Dual Onboard LAN

I have just built a computer to use as a home server. I have an ASRock Z87 Extreme 6 MB, BIOS v.2.3, Intel i5 Core 4670 3.4mHz CPU, G-Skill PC2400 *MB X 2 (16MB) RAM, Maxtor 320GB SATA HDD, onboard Intel graphics, onboard Realtek audio, onboard Intel dual gigabit LAN, Corsair HX1050 power supply, Asus 12X Blu Ray DVD Writer all packed into a Cooler Master Storm Trooper case. OS is Windows Home Server 2011.

My problem is, I cannot get the computer to load or recognize drivers for the onboard Intel dual gigabit LAN ports. I have attempted installation of drivers from the CD that came with the motherboard, downloaded current drivers from Intel, updated BIOS, all to no avail. I went into BIOS and made sure both LAN ports were enabled in the BIOS. Help please......

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: ASRock Z87 Extreme 6 MB / Intel Dual Onboard LAN

Your problem is related to two things, mainly your use of WHS 2011, and that the two network chips on your board (I217V and I211AT) are new chips. For example, Windows 7 does not have a native driver that will work with these chips. Windows 8 does, but I doubt any earlier MS product has a native driver for these chips.

Your board's download page does not provide drivers for any WHS product, only Windows 7 and 8. So any WHS product is not officially supported.

Were you able to run any of the chipset or driver installation programs that were on the board's disk? If not, what did you use to install the Intel chipset/INF files, and the Intel IME software, which are two basic things that are essentially required?

I cannot find any WHS 2011 network drivers on Intel's download page, or even a specific category for WHS 2011. The Release Notes for the earlier versions of the Intel network drivers (18.4 for example, from 2013) state that WHS 2008 and 2012 do not support the I211 network adapter. That information is missing from the later driver (19.0) Release Notes. That only adds to the confusion.

I don't know why WHS 2011 seems to not exist when it comes to these drivers. At worst you may be stuck finding a network card that WHS 2011 supports, and use that instead.

Lightbulb Re: ASRock Z87 Extreme 6 MB / Intel Dual Onboard LAN

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Your problem is related to two things, mainly your use of WHS 2011, and that the two network chips on your board (I217V and I211AT) are new chips. For example, Windows 7 does not have a native driver that will work with these chips. Windows 8 does, but I doubt any earlier MS product has a native driver for these chips.

Your board's download page does not provide drivers for any WHS product, only Windows 7 and 8. So any WHS product is not officially supported.

Were you able to run any of the chipset or driver installation programs that were on the board's disk? If not, what did you use to install the Intel chipset/INF files, and the Intel IME software, which are two basic things that are essentially required?

I cannot find any WHS 2011 network drivers on Intel's download page, or even a specific category for WHS 2011. The Release Notes for the earlier versions of the Intel network drivers (18.4 for example, from 2013) state that WHS 2008 and 2012 do not support the I211 network adapter. That information is missing from the later driver (19.0) Release Notes. That only adds to the confusion.

I don't know why WHS 2011 seems to not exist when it comes to these drivers. At worst you may be stuck finding a network card that WHS 2011 supports, and use that instead.
    V

Thanks for the help parsec. I found the problem indeed lies in the Intel I217V Chips and the fact Intel has configured the drivers so that they do not support anything but Win 7 and Win 8. However, while waiting for someone to chime in on this topic, I found a solution that worked while doing a search on Google.

Intel i217-V network drivers for Windows Server 2012 R2 | Nearly Deaf

Now, instead of having to attempt to return a motherboard, buy a NIC card, or find some other god-awful workaround, my Intel dual gigabyte onboard network controllers work perfectly, and I am finally up and running.

Thanks for your response to my thread. Maybe we can help others with this similar situation.

Scott Jones
    Gallion, AL

parsec is offline Senior Member

That's good, and you're saying that workaround worked for WHS 2011 as well?

I know a guy that had to do the same thing for WHS 2012 with an ASUS Z87 board, edit the appropriate .inf file. The latest versions of the Intel network drivers are said to work with WHS 2012, or I should say implied to work.

Note that I mentioned the INF file installation program in my first post, which does not exist for any WHS product for this board. I'm not 100% sure, but there may be a real reason why the INF file provided by WHS does not not work with the Intel driver installation program, besides Intel arbitrarily disallowing the I217V, as implied in that article.

Windows Home Server 2011 can be thought of simply an "overlay' upon Server 2008 R2. The WHS "framing' only serves to reduce the full capabilities of Server 2008 R2 and simplify usage in that it as so much as created a product everyday folks could use as MS intended and so included and or exposed of the underlying OS, Server 2008 R2.

I've whacked many an *.inf from various drivers over the years, beginning with the very much "unsupported' original Windows Home Server.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Thread Information