Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: B85M, Ultra Fast Boot slowed down by second HDD

Default B85M, Ultra Fast Boot slowed down by second HDD

Hey,
    i just got a GTX 760 from EVGA with GOP and i noticed my boot time only got slowed down by my second HDD. If i make a coldstart i hear the second hdd spinning up and after this windows starts instant (if i disable fullscreen loge i see the "A2" message, what means the hdd get checked if i understand right). my first hdd is a samsung 830 ssd. is it possible to skip the second hdd on boot to get a really fast boot time?

Sorry for my poor english.

EDIT: i did an mistake in my topic name: bei=by... im sorry.

System:
    Intel Xeon E3-1230v3
    Samsung SSD 830 128GB
    EVGA GeForce GTX 760
    Last edited by - wardog -; 04-12-2014 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Corrected Topic re: did an mistake in my topic name: bei=by

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default re: B85M, Ultra Fast Boot slowed down by second HDD

Not that this matters much, but it would be nice to know what mother board you are using.

You are right that your HDD is slowing down the PC's start up process, since POST waits for the HDD to start, which is slower than a SSD. Booting your OS only uses the SSD, which happens after POST is complete. The A2 POST display is the part that checks any drives connected to the board, you are right about that.

There is no way to configure the POST process to skip or ignore a HDD or other device. You could put the HDD in an external enclosure and connect it to the PC with an eSATA cable, or USB, and turn it on after the PC boots.

PC users that use Ultra Fast boot are now discovering that HDDs are much slower starting up than SSDs. Ultra Fast boot is a new feature, so it might be possible to do something about this in the future, but that would be a major change in the way POST works with storage drives, and may not even be possible at all.

Default re: B85M, Ultra Fast Boot slowed down by second HDD

thank u so much for ur explanation. my motherboard is a ASRock B85M

Thread Information