Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ASRock 990FX "black screen" failure to BIOS ?

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: ASRock 990FX "black screen" failure to BIOS ?

I certainly agree. This brings up a point I've wondered about for a while now, which is difficult to explain.

My ASR Z87 EX 6 board has a 12 phase VRM power design. While we can't compare AMD's power specs like 220W for the 9000 series processors or AMD mobos that support "140W processors", with Intel's "TDP" spec for their processors (which is the amount of heat that must be dissipated by the CPU cooler), I know that my Haswell i5-4670K will not use 200W of power if it is highly OC'd. The same is true for most other Intel processors, like Ivy Bridge and Sandy Bridge.

So why do the Intel boards seemingly have a much more powerful VRM than AMD boards? There is more to a VRM's power capability than just the number of phases (the type of VRM chips used), and we really don't have any specs about the power output capability of a boards VRM section.

Of course more details about the boards is necessary for a fair comparison, price being likely the most important. There are also many Intel boards that have weaker VRMs than my board does (my board NOT being a high-end OCing board IMO), and Intel boards tend to be more expensive than AMD boards, mainly due to the higher price of Intel chipsets.

Is all this simply the reputation of AMD products being more fairly priced than Intel? Or the fact that AMD boards have much greater processor compatibility than Intel boards, even for the lower priced models? Which leads to the situation where budget or more mainstream AMD boards can accommodate high-end AMD processors, but are unable to adequately provide power to those processors. Meanwhile, some of the owners of these boards expect them to work perfectly with all AM3+ processors, for example.

That is at least one area where IMO AMD's exceptional compatibility between boards and processors can cause problems for them and the users.

See what I mean?

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    That is at least one area where IMO AMD's exceptional compatibility between boards and processors can cause problems for them and the users.

See what I mean?
    Yeppers.

Concerning sockets and what fits vs what works(BIG big diff there BTW), knowledge, due diligence, and a shake or two of common sense. Mostly platform knowledge and due diligence. Common sense follows after the preceding two have been endured/learned/dealt with.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Vykker is offline Junior Member

Thank you both for this epic discussion.

I have honestly learned far more from this talk, and forum than I anticipated.
    To be a bit more clear about using my AMD FX-8320 on That AsUs Sabertooth 990FX I do not intend to over clock my CPU right away. If I feel like I could use a bit more umph after operating this machine for a while, I might over clock to 4.0. That is a really huge IF though, depends on knowledge, reviews, and difficulty. Otherwise Just like everything else I plan to run it at the initial / default settings.
    I am using a CoolerMaster 120MM liquid cooled radiator / heatsink as my CPU cooler. Hoping that this kind of cooler works as well as everyone says.

I really appreciate the time, courtesy, and respect that everyone has demonstrated.

As long as no one minds, I will post status updates as I receive, install or alter components until I have my system up and running. Hopefully there are others that may find this information beneficial.

Sincerest Regards,
    Vykker's Laboratory

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Or the fact that AMD boards have much greater processor compatibility than Intel boards, ....
    hehehe, while I do enjoy new tech here I have never followed along with Intel and the new proc new chipset ideoloy/cost. Then along came Haswell, and and, well ...........

I bought the ASRock 990FX Extreme9 knowing it was Certified by AMD to fully support the 220w FX procs. Some time soon that 8150 in her now will find it's way out the door in someones system and by that time the costs of the 220w FX's will have come down even further. For now though she's still doin' what I ask of her.

Quote Originally Posted by Vykker View Post

As long as no one minds, I will post status updates as I receive, install or alter components until I have my system up and running. Hopefully there are others that may find this information beneficial.
    You're welcome. It was our pleasure.

Even if they do mind you are more than welcome to post of the progress you make. By all means, feel free to type to your hearts desire of it.

parsec has intimate knowledge of your HAF-XB case, as well as profJim, another , umm, dandy, User/Mod here. All I could offer is to provide decent air-flow through it and your CoolerMastrer 120 WC kit will serve your needs quite well.

As a matter of fact I think profJims XB is using a(same?) CoolerMaster WC kit too. (opening door)....... Oh James ..? parsec I'm pretty sure installed a Corsair H-something WC kit in his.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

As long as everyone is on a compatibility kick, I thought that I'd check out your power supply, which just happens to be the foundation of your system. I quickly found a review of your power supply at HardOCP which is one of the few premier psu review sites on the web.

From the HARDOCP - Cooler Master GX 650W Power Supply Review conclusion on the last page of their review:
    The Bottom Line

The Cooler Master GX 650W is a mediocre power supply for couple of years ago, and an outright failure today. The Build Quality of the unit is nothing to write home about (unless it is a warning), the topology is old and outdated, and the exterior is flash over substance. Coupled with this we have mediocre voltage, poor by today's standards efficiency, and out of specification DC Output Quality. One upping this poor showing is that fact that the unit was completely unable to complete our load tests at 100v AC input. That makes the GX 650W not just a failure by our standards, but rather a double failure and an ugly one at that. Making matters worse is the fact that this unit is priced at up to $100 in retail and $70 online. (Users can pick up the much better Seasonic M12II-620Bronze from Amazon with Free Prime Shipping for $98.29). As it stands, there really is not anyone that this unit would be a good fit for that we can think of, and certainly not for its intended crowd of "gamers." Cooler Master should be ashamed and owes all gamers and hardware enthusiasts an apology.

I have a lot of Cooler Master hardware and most of their products are very good to excellent. For quite a few years their power supplies have been poor at best. Recently Cooler Master has been selling some of their newest psu models that are made by Seasonic and these new units have received excellent reviews from the best psu review sites.

I strongly recommend that no-one should buy any power supply model until it has been given a very good or excellent rating from JonnyGuru, HardOCP, HardwareSecrets, PCPER, or BenchmarkReviews.

**edit**
    I'm using the Cooler Master HAF XB case with their Seidon 120XL AIO water cooler which comes with a 38mm deep radiator with two cooling fans for a push/pull setup. I also have their MegaFlow 200 mm fan and one of their QuickFire Pro mechanical keyboards.
    Last edited by profJim; 04-15-2014 at 10:05 AM.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

parsec is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by - wardog - View Post
    Yeppers.

Concerning sockets and what fits vs what works(BIG big diff there BTW), knowledge, due diligence, and a shake or two of common sense. Mostly platform knowledge and due diligence. Common sense follows after the preceding two have been endured/learned/dealt with.
    Those three things are all to often MIA. I would not be surprised if a mobo manufacture had mistakenly listed an Intel processor in the CPU compatibility list of an AMD processor mother board, that at least a few people would believe it and buy that Intel processor for that board.

Quote Originally Posted by Vykker View Post

I have honestly learned far more from this talk, and forum than I anticipated.
    To be a bit more clear about using my AMD FX-8320 on That AsUs Sabertooth 990FX I do not intend to over clock my CPU right away. If I feel like I could use a bit more umph after operating this machine for a while, I might over clock to 4.0. That is a really huge IF though, depends on knowledge, reviews, and difficulty. Otherwise Just like everything else I plan to run it at the initial / default settings.
    I am using a CoolerMaster 120MM liquid cooled radiator / heatsink as my CPU cooler. Hoping that this kind of cooler works as well as everyone says.

I really appreciate the time, courtesy, and respect that everyone has demonstrated.

Sincerest Regards,
    Vykker's Laboratory
    Our pleasure, thanks for the Likes and your kind words. Feel free to post your build status with the new board. You may not be out of the woods yet with your new PC, but I hope it goes well for you. I have used two SaberTooth mother boards (both Intel FYI) and they are both very good IMO. Both still work, the oldest one in my son's PC. ASUS can include some unique features in their products, a few of them can change the way we expect a mobo to function. For example, your board has the Q-LED (CPU, DRAM, VGA, Boot Device LED) features, which run diagnostics on those devices every time the PC starts. The downside of that is a slower start up time, if that bothers you. But that was how they worked on my oldest SaberTooth board (2010), your board may be different in the way these features work. My SaberTooth board would power on and seemingly just sit there for ~15 - 20 seconds before POST started, which is what I mean by changing the way you expect a PC to work.

Quote Originally Posted by profJim View Post
    As long as everyone is on a compatibility kick, I thought that I'd check out your power supply, which just happens to be the foundation of your system. I quickly found a review of your power supply at HardOCP which is one of the few premier psu review sites on the web.

From the HARDOCP - Cooler Master GX 650W Power Supply Review conclusion on the last page of their review:

I have a lot of Cooler Master hardware and most of their products are very good to excellent. For quite a few years their power supplies have been poor at best. Recently Cooler Master has been selling some of their newest psu models that are made by Seasonic and these new units have received excellent reviews from the best psu review sites.

I strongly recommend that no-one should buy any power supply model until it has been given a very good or excellent rating from JonnyGuru, HardOCP, HardwareSecrets, PCPER, or BenchmarkReviews.

**edit**
    I'm using the Cooler Master HAF XB case with their Seidon 120XL AIO water cooler which comes with a 38mm deep radiator with two cooling fans for a push/pull setup. I also have their MegaFlow 200 mm fan and one of their QuickFire Pro mechanical keyboards.
    Yikes! That is not good, even filtered through a hyperbole filter! I stand firmly with Prof. Jim and wardog in the PSU before all else camp. While you don't need the absolute best PSU made, this is one component of a PC build that needs attention and should never be an after thought.

Vykker, have you used that PSU lately? You didn't just buy it, did you?

Quote Originally Posted by profJim View Post

Uh, Jim, he has the GX II, a whole 'nuther beastie up from the original GX that review you linked reviewed. Made by Enhance this time around, not SevenTeam. What reviews I've read seem ok anyways, especially when compared to the older original GX.

Lightbulb Re: ASRock 990FX "black screen" failure to BIOS ?

Thank you wardog, for clarifying that chat about my GX II PSU which is new, and for this AsUs Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 recommendation.

Once I swapped everything out and carefully replaced it all back into the chassis everything started up like a charm, beautiful BIOS to work with through AsUs. So as far as the hardware was concerned in this particular build, it was indeed an incompatible M/B with a CPU that it could not handle.

Now, moving on to the next bit of nonsense, o.O I am sure I am just making some dumb simple mistake, but before I mess anything else up, I figured I should as you guys since you have proven to be a huge help this far.

I know a bit about the whole Boot order of CD and HDD drives, but for some reason with the Win 7 64-bit install disk I am using, I get to the part where need to select the drive to put the OS onto, I select the Western Digital VelcioRapture and get this error along the lines of, " Windows was unable to locate disk/partition acceptable for installation".
    From what I read else where it seems that I am suppose to select the drive, get the error, locate driver (for the hard drive or M/B?), click the driver, reinsert the Win 7 disc if CD was used, refresh the HDD list, and BAM the Win 7 should then install to the selected HDD.

The 2 complications I have come across are that, I have tried to use other disc drives and received the same error, Also I tried inserting the disc of drivers that came with my M/B and the Win7 install insists that nothing is on it, or nothing of use for this case I suppose.
    It seems that HDD drivers are a thing of the past anyway ? Since these seem to be one of the few devices made to be recognized right in the BIOS from the start.

So when I use just the VelcioRapture alone, it gives me, "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks."
    ^ The above is something a little new to me and over my head, hopefully that tid-bit of information helps guide us to another "duh" solution for me.

Sincerest regards,
    Vykker's Laboratory.

You guys have been very patient with me, and it has been a true pleasure working with all of you. I just hope that I am not getting obnoxious ;) I learned a lot from that hardware experience, now just to get past this software install part.
    Last edited by Vykker; 04-17-2014 at 11:55 PM. Reason: New Info

Thumbs up Re: ASRock 990FX "black screen" failure to BIOS ?

I DID IT !!!!

I am ecstatic with joy.

So, like I said, I made sure that the 250Gb Western Digital V/C was the ONLY HDD plugged in.

Then I did all the instructions, but when I got to the select HDD to install to, I remembered I had used the Win7 install utility to "format" the HDD, turns our that was mistake #1 and why I received that funky error. To fix that I just used the delete option, since this is a blank and new HDD I had no worries about losing anything.

THEN, my big "duh" moment :D lol, I had to expand the damn M/B driver disc that came with the Sabertooth, and the FINAL dummy error, was about finding and clicking on the 64-bit RAID utility it would NOT show up in the window that I was supposed to select the driver from. Turns out that was because of the stupid default "checked" box, that says hide all "possibly incompatible" drivers. Well once you turn that off, BAM there are your options, installed the driver, fixed my HDD.

Hit next, and now I am looking at the install progress as I type this.
    I hope to continue to be an active member of this community, and your generosity of the wealth of knowledge in this community has been extremely useful.
    Takecare for now, I will have some time to chat tomorrow, but after that its 3 solid weeks of work for me.

Sincerest Regards,
    Vykker's Laboratory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information